Page 33 of 72 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Junior Member registered user

Re: Boot Knoppix 4.02 (cd or dvd data) from a USB dongle

Hi Gilles!

Thanks a lot, really a lot for your help. And please excuse my late answer.

With your new zip I had a little bit more success, but I can't yet boot KNOPPIX. But I'm more hopeful now. That's the current staus:

My computer has a SATA hdd, no other USB devices are installed. I did everything like you described in your new description:
    - format USB dongle (with FAT32)
    - copy the other files from the archive to the USB dongle

Then I booted with Grub >> no success. The error messages:

Booting 'find /menu.lst'

find --set-root /menu.lst

Error 17: File not found
    Booting 'find /boot/grub/menu.lst'

fallback 2
    find --set-root /boot/grub/menu.lst

Error 17: File not found
    Booting 'find /grub/menu.lst

fallback 3
    find --set-root /grub/menu.lst

I booted KNOPPIX from CD and found out that the USB dongle is sdb1. In the linux.bat I changed \boot\grub\sda1.bat to \boot\grub\sdb1.bat >> no success, same error.

I renamed the folders and some files with lower case letters >> no success, same error.

I booted with Lilo >> IT DOES! But not the whole KNOPPIX.

It starts with Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel. Then KNOPPIX finds some devices and so on. The last messages are:
    Probing/Loading AGP modules ...
    Starting the X Window System...

Well, then the screen is black, the USB dongle still works a few seconds, and then >> nothing. I waited a few minutes. The monitor turns not into standby and when I press a key on the keyboard the USB dongle works one second and then no more, so I have to reset the computer.

So, dear Gilles, have you any idea?

Thank a lot, again.

Marcel

Moderator Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by marft
    ... I booted KNOPPIX from CD and found out that the USB dongle is sdb1. In the linux.bat I changed \boot\grub\sda1.bat to \boot\grub\sdb1.bat >> no success, same error.
    Since your USB dongle is seen as /dev/sdb1, to make it boot with grub you will need then to modify the autoexec.bat file as follow: --config-file=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst ==> --config-file=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst
    which means that the data of your usb dongle is located on the first partition of the second disk device (sdb1)
    Then when you have the grub menu, you will need to select the second boot option (boot ISO from sdb1)

I booted with Lilo >> IT DOES! But not the whole KNOPPIX.
    It starts with Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
    Then KNOPPIX finds some devices and so on. The last messages are:
    Probing/Loading AGP modules ... Starting the X Window System...
    Well, then the screen is black, the USB dongle still works a few seconds, and then >> nothing...
    This most likely not related to the boot process but more to the cheatcodes used in the kernel boot line.
    Since the boot from the cd/dvd is working, I would like to suggest you to add the vga=791 cheatcode
    at the end of the kernel line in both the menu.lst for grub and in the sdb1.bat for lilo (in the /boot/grub directory).
    BTW, I updated my zip to make it easier for everybofy by havig 4 boot options: grub/lilo with sda1/sdb1:
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/usb_dgle1.zip
    Hope this helps and please let me know if this is working for you.
    Cheers, Gilles

Since your USB dongle is seen as /dev/sdb1, to make it boot with grub you will need then to modify the autoexec.bat file as follow: --config-file=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst ==> --config-file=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst
    Sorry, I didn't mentioned that, but that's one thing I have tried yesterday, too. I tried (hd0,1) an (hd1,0), also in the menu.lst. The result was always the same (error 17 with grub/black screen with lilo).
    I also deleted all cheatcodes in the menu.lst, but not in the sdb1.bat (since it was 02:30 in the night).

Also important: I never got the choice between sda1 and sdb1 in the boot menu. I have to adjust that in the linux.bat. The only menu where I can choose anything is the DOS menu (select grub or lilo).

Of course, I will try your new files and your tipps later today.

Thanks so much!
    Marcel

This worked perfectly

I had been trying to do this for a week using syslinux. I got it to work with Feather Linux USB specific distro but was unable to get the full Knoppix distro to work.

Moderator Moderator

USB ISO Boot: linuxrc script will scan for alternate devices

I have updated my ISO boot on a USB dongle ( http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758 )
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/usb_dgle3.zip including a new ramdisk:
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/minirt_iso.gz which is an improved version of the minirt_ntfs/reiser.gz

If the kernel cheatcode BOOTFROM is not pointing to the correct device but the path is still correct,
    the linux script linuxrc will now search for an alternate device+partition to boot the ISO from
    and will also propose you to update the BOOTFROM cheatcode with a working syntax.

I noticed this problem with my T43 Thinkpad where the bios recognize my USB dongle as the first hdd
    and will require the following grub notation in the menu.lst "(hd0,0)" to load the kernel and ramdisk.
    But the linux kernel recognize the USB dongle as the second hdd (the first one being the 2.5" hdd)
    and in order to load Knoppix from the ISO, it will require the kernel cheatcode BOOTFROM=/dev/sdb1
    I would have expected the bios and the linux kernel to enumerate the hdd devices the same way
    either (hd0,0) & /dev/sda1 or (hd1,0) & /dev/sdb1, but there is a trouble maker missmatch.
    I know that this is a little bit confusing, and this was a good reason for me
    to implement a work around in the linuxrc boot script.
    I hope that this will help some of you.
    Please give me some feedback.
    Cheers, Gilles

Edit: I found a bug in the minirt_iso.gz preventing in some cases to properly enumerate the alternate devices
    (problem with ash and the linuxrc boot script). Links are updated with the fix. (usb_dgle3.zip)

Hello I'm new to linux and these forums so bare with me please.

I've just installed Knoppix 402 on a 7 GB Linux ext2 partition on the 1st device on my 2nd IDE cable, I kno the ISO I used for the install was working because I could boot Knoppix from a CD which I created using that ISO. I installed to HD from that disc and everything seemed fine. I rebooted the computer after install and grub loader prompted me to choose an OS, when I chose the default kernel version of Knoppix I get the error in the subject line of this post.

I read through this string and attempted to download and copy grbldr.txt to my C: folder in windows, when that yeilded no result I lost my patience and attempted to convert my linux partition to an active logical drive, this messed up something in either grubloader or most likely MBR because on reboot I got the error 22 or maybe it was 20? when grubloader started and I was stuck before I could choose an OS. Using the XP disc I installed a fresh copy of MBR and viola Windows began to work again. HOWEVER, now I get no prompt to chose an OS, leading me to beileve that I have removed grubloader from MBR, which makes sense to me...

So what I am asking really is how do I get grubloader back and how do I fix this kernel panic error? Since I am new to linux all this gobble gook I read makes no sense to me If someone can give a step by step for a Window Defector like myself I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit: the error I got when I could use grubloader and selected default knoppix was "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ram3" just to clarify.

Also, I apoligize if I haven't posted in the right place or my question has already been answered, please forgive me as I am new.

Moderator Moderator

USB Knoppix 4.02 ISO Boot ramdisk update

Please find below the link to my latest Knoppix 4.02 boot ramdisk:
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/minirt_iso.gz
    and the ISO boot on a USB dongle package:
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/usb_dgle3.zip
    I fixed a problem with ash and the linuxrc boot script preventing in some cases (to be honest, in most cases but mine)
    to properly enumerate the alternate boot devices with an iso file located within the same path.
    Cheers, Gilles

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blazercist
    ... So what I am asking really is how do I get grubloader back ?
    You can use grub started from the XP bootloader (boot.ini + grldr, cf this forum thread)
    ==> do not mofify the XP mbr nor boot sector ==> safe and clean.

Or you can boot from the knoppix cd/dvd or any other distro with a grub installer and run grub-install
    ==> will modify yout mbr and will probably mess up your XP boot config.

BTW, there are quite a lot of posts in this forum talking about this subject...
    Good Luck, Gilles

Dear Gilles,

it doesn't work. It's always the same: error 17 with grub/black screen with lilo.
    Maybe interesting for you: If I directly write in the grub command line the first few commands of the sdb1.bat ("kernel (hd1,0)/boot/knoppix.402/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init"), the following messages return:
    With (hd0,0) >> "Error 17: File not found"
    with (hd0,1) >> "Erroro 19: Cannot mount selected partition"
    with (hd1,0) >> Error 23: Selected disk does not exist"
    with (hd1,1) >> Error 23: Selected disk does not exist"

I have no idea. My SATA hdd has two partitions. I even disabled the onboard SATA controller and all IDE devices (four dvd writer). I unfortunately don't have another USB bootable computer.

When KNOPPIX boots (with Lilo) the bootscreen shows that the knoppix.iso was found. It's crazy.

With kind regards
    Marcel

Moderator Moderator
    ... With (hd0,0) >> "Error 17: File not found" ...
    So if I understand this right, you can start grub from the usb dongle but grub cannot load knoppix, is this right ?
    (The usb device can only be seen by grub, if you boot grub from that usb device, a cd or hd grub boot will not see the usb dongle)
    If that the case, it means that grub recognize the disk/partition but do not see the kernel file. Maybe a upper/lower case issue.
    In your case, the best thing to do, is to use the autocompletion mode of grub to find out what is wrong:
    type: "kernel (hd," + the_tab_key, and grub will list all the hdd availbale.
    type: "kernel (hd0," + the_tab_key, and grub will list all the partitons available on the first disk.
    type: "kernel (hd0,0)/" + the_tab_key, and grub will list all directory/files on the first partition of the first disk and so on...
    Use this geat feature of grub to find/verify the path of your linux kernel and minirt_iso.gz files and then update your menu.lst

When KNOPPIX boots (with Lilo) the bootscreen shows that the knoppix.iso was found. It's crazy...
    Are you talking about the first lilo menu of my setup ? booting from the USB dongle ? So you can boot Knoppix using lilo (sda1.bat) but not grub ?
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

Page 33 of 72 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast