Page 34 of 72 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Junior Member registered user
    So if I understand this right, you can start grub from the usb dongle but grub cannot load knoppix, is this right ?
    When I boot with Grub the error 17 and the fallback occur as I described. And after the third fallback the Grub command line appears.

(The usb device can only be seen by grub, if you boot grub from that usb device, a cd or hd grub boot will not see the usb dongle)
    It seems that Grub can't see any partition of my hdd and of my usb dongle. When I try to access to (hd0,0) for example it should at least recognize the first partition of my hdd if not the usb dongle, I think.

In your case, the best thing to do ...
    I will try out this as soon as possible. Thanks a lot!

Are you talking about the first lilo menu of my setup ?
    No. When I boot from your DOS menu with the option "Lilo sda1" (or so) then it works well, too. Lilo loads the initrd and the kernel, the kernel doesn't find the compressed image on sda1, searches, and finds it on sdb1. Then KNOPPIX boots until "Starting the X Window System..." - and then black screen. The CD which I have burned with the same image works fine, so the image should be okay.
    Until now I've never seen your Lilo boot menu. The only menu I know is the DOS menu.

Thanks!
    Marcel

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by marft
    ...When I boot from your DOS menu with the option "Lilo sda1" (or so) then it works well, too. Lilo loads the initrd and the kernel, the kernel doesn't find the compressed image on sda1, searches, and finds it on sdb1.
    So both (lilo) dos boot option are working: lilo sda1 and lilo sdb1. I assume that sdb1 boots without any problem and sda1 complains about the wrong location for the iso image file then my linuxrc script will find it on sdb1 and will use it to boot Knoppix from it. (if you use the latest initrd_iso.gz)

...Then KNOPPIX boots until "Starting the X Window System..." - and then black screen...
    I believe that this has nothing to do with the boot process but is more related to the kernel boot options or cheatcodes parameters that are given to the kernel by the bootlader: in the kernel line of the menu.lst or in the lilo command line of the sd(a/b)1.bat file. Remember that Lilo has a command line length limitation or in other words Lilo will ignore the end of the command line if it is too long. So you better start with the key parameters.
    As for comparison, the cd default parameters are as follow: (without the kernel and ramdisk references)
    ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    And the sdb1.bat parameters are as follow: (without the kernel and ramdisk references)
    ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/sdb1/boot/knoppix.402/*.iso vga=791 lang=us quiet apm=power-off nomce noprompt
    When you start Knoppix from the cd, do you need type in any special cheatcode or are you using the default settings by just typing the "enter" key ?

Until now I've never seen your Lilo boot menu. The only menu I know is the DOS menu.
    Lilo has no menu or interactive mode. I was referring to the dos menu allowing you to select which dos macro .bat file to run.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

When you start Knoppix from the cd, do you need type in any special cheatcode or are you using the default settings by just typing the "enter" key ?
    Yes, just pressing the [Enter] button works if I boot from CD. But I almost always enter cheatcodes, too. Well, when I type in cheatcodes I have to write "knoppix" at first, for example: knoppix screen=800x600 dma >> That's not necesary for the cheatcodes of boot managers?? And in your usb_dgle3.zip you write some filenames with capital letters, but in the bat-files you write every filename and directory with small letters >> I think, Linux is case sensitive??

Thanks!
    Marcel

In your case, the best thing to do, is to use the autocompletion mode of grub to find out what is wrong:
    type: "kernel (hd," + the_tab_key, and grub will list all the hdd availbale.
    I bootet from the usb dongle with grub and after the three fallback errors I tried the grub commands you told me. I got the following results:

kernel (hd, >> Error 25: Error while parsing number

kernel (hd0, >> Partition num 0:, Filesystem is ntfs, partition type 0x7
    Partition num 4:, Filesystem is ntfs, partition type 0x7

kernel (hd1, >> Error 23: Selected disk does not exist

kernel (hd0,0)/ >> Possible files are [files of my partition C: of the sata hdd]

kernel (, >> Possible partitions are:
    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x68
    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x79
    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x53
    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x49
    Filesystem type unknown, using whole disk

--> Oh! The usb donlge light flashes! I entered the last command a few times and voilĂ*! >> Possible disks are: fd0 fd1 ... but I had no further success.

kernel (fd0)/ >> usb dongle light flashes, but >> Error 19: Cannot mount the selected partition

kernel (fd0,0)/ >> Error 12: Unrecognized device string

kernel (fd0,1)/ >> Error 12: Unrecognized device string

kernel (fd1)/ >> system hangs, I have to reset the computer

Hope that brings a little light in the darkness.

Greetings
    Marcel

Moderator Moderator
    ...kernel (fd0)/ >> usb dongle light flashes, but >> Error 19: Cannot mount the selected partition...
    Did you use the HPUSBFW.EXE program to reformat your usb dongle ?
    It looks like that your usb dongle is recognized by the bios of your pc as a floppy (fd0) and not as a hdd (hd0) and that would explain why lilo will boot and grub is confused. A hdd have a partition table that a floppy has not. Lilo read files using dos system calls, grub is accessing devices at bloc level without using the dos and is not expecting a partition table on a floppy device. Maybe a new beta version of grub.exe may help, could you please replace it on your dongle and let me know ? http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/grub.exe

To solve your X problem (black screen after kernel autodetection), try to add some cheatcodes in the sdb1.bat file, as screen=800x600. But do not add this cheatcode at the end since the end of the command line may be truncated...

Are both lilo sda1 and lilo sdb1 boot options working ?

PS: Lilo.exe (dos program) do not care about the upper/lower case of filenames. Lilo.exe will load the kernel and the initrd~1.gz ramdisk (initrd_iso.gz in the 8 dos characters format). But once the Linux kernel is loaded, the filename case will matter !
    Cheers, Gilles

Did you use the HPUSBFW.EXE program to reformat your usb dongle ?
    Yes, of course. The thing is that I can only select USB ZIP and USB FLOPPY in the BIOS boot menu. But there seems to be no difference between the choices.

Maybe a new beta version of grub.exe may help, could you please replace it on your dongle and let me know ?
    I will do so.

To solve your X problem
    I will try it.

Are both lilo sda1 and lilo sdb1 boot options working ?
    After the adaptations? I will report it to you.

Thanks!
    Marcel

Moderator Moderator

grubf.zip update, USB/NTFS/FAT/REISER Knoppix 4.02 ISO boot

I have put together all the files required to boot Knoppix 4.02 from a USB dongle or from a NT/XP NTFS partition.
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/grubf.zip
    Please note that the boot files will also work from FAT and REISER partitions and
    in case of the wrong device is used in the bootfrom cheatcode,
    the linuxrc boot script will automatically search for the ISO on an other device.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

Dear Gilles,

I'm sorry, but currently I have a little bit stress and no 1-GB-usb dongle. In about one or two weeks I can try again to boot Knoppix from usb dongle. By the way, I think the problem is my computer, since I have tested to boot Slax from three different usb dongles - without any succes. Slax has an own install assistant to install it on a usb device.

Thanks a lot so far!
    Marcel

Moderator Moderator

hostname= cheatcode

Hello,
    I modified the linuxrc boot script to setup the hostname at boot time (kernel cheatcode: hostname=mymachine)
    I updated my minirt_iso.gz ramdisk with this new linuxrc:
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/minirt_host.gz
    So Knoppix can now be booted from the official ISO being on a FAT/EXT/Reiser/NTFS partition or USB donge
    with a custom hostname given in the kernel command name by using the hostname= cheatcode.
    Give it a try and please give me some feedback.
    Thanks,
    Gilles

Moderator Moderator

Re: hostname= cheatcode

Hello,
    I now have added the option to use dynamic hostnames using the following hostname= kernel cheatcodes:
    hostname=auto-clock -> knoppix-200512031753 (date+time)
    hostname=auto-mac -> knoppix-123456789012 (eth0 mac address)
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/minirt_host.gz (I just replaced the old one)
    Give it a try and please give me some feedback.
    Thanks,
    Gilles

Page 34 of 72 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast