Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Moderator Moderator

GRUB Multi Boot from a NTFS partition

Please find below ALL you will need to get a Grub Multi Boot from a NTFS (or FAT) partition:
    You can download temporarily grub.zip from this link: http://s94592085.onlinehome.us/grub/grub3.zip
    This is my temporary compilation of grub with network and dos/ntfs patches, thanks to all the contributors !

In this zip you will find 2 directories: grub.bin with includes some binaries useful for other people setup and
    Root_Of_NTFS which you will need to copy the content ino the root of your NTFS partition.
    But before doing it, it would be probably a goof idea to backup your boot.ini into boot.bk and then
    add "c:\bootgrub="Start Grub" at the end of your boot.ini to have grub as a boot option.
    I included my boot.ini in the zip as an example. If your fat32 is not in /dev/hda3 as in my setup,
    you may also need to modify the file \BOOT\GRUB\MENU.LST to match your setup.
    In your case, you probably will replace hda3 --> hda2 and (hd0,2) --> (hd0,1)

So to summarize, you don't need a USB dongle to make a XP/Knoppix dual boot, just follow these steps:
    1) Backup the boot.ini of your NTFS partition.
    2) Download my grub.zip file
    3) Copy the content of Root_Of_NTFS of my zip file into the root of your NTFS partition, but the BOOT.INI file
    4) Add "c:\bootgrub="Start Grub" at the end of your BOOT.INI in your NTFS partition
    5) Update the \BOOT\GRUB\MENU.LST to match your hd configuration and upate your cheatcodes for knoppix
    6) reboot and enjoy an easy life...
    Good Luck and let me know the result.
    Cheers, Gilles

PS1: I would also to take this opportunity to thanks ALL the GREAT people
    having worked very hard on Grub and Knoppix to make this easy setup possible !

PS2: I am still looking for help to get an even nicer boot of knoppix from the ISO file being in a NTFS partition...

Moderator Moderator

GRUB floppy disk from windows 2K/XP

Please find in this link what is required to make a GRUB floppy disk from windows 2K/XP: http://s94592085.onlinehome.us/grub/makeflo2.zip
    Note for j.drake:
    By replacing /dev/fd0 by the device used for your USB dongle the macro FLOMAKE.BAT should work as well to install a bootable Grub into your dongle. You may also loose the data on your USB dongle. But be careful, dd (disk dump) is a very dangerous and powerful command. You may need administrator rights to use it and you may erase the content of your hardrive very quick if not properly used ! Let me know the results ...
    Gilles

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks to Okajima, I finally got it working with the Knoppix 3.4 from AIST Japan. Here is the bit torrent file: http://unit.aist.go.jp/it/knoppix/kn...29.iso.torrent
    It doesn't boot from the iso yet, but it boots from a single NTFS partition. I even got the capture (NTFS rw) working with the -o force flag... and a sync before rebooting ! But this is still kind of tricky.
    Cheers, Gilles

Senior Member registered user

Re: GRUB Multi Boot from a NTFS partition

Quote Originally Posted by "ruymbeke"PS2: [b
    I am still looking for help to get an even nicer boot of knoppix from the ISO file being in a NTFS partition...[/b]
    Hi ruymbeke, thanks for your great howto, are there progresses on booting the ISO from within a NTFS partition using your method? It would be extremely useful for Windows users to be able to boot the ISO from NTFS.

Moderator Moderator

Re: GRUB Multi Boot from a NTFS partition

Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Hi ruymbeke, thanks for your great howto, are there progresses on booting the ISO from within a NTFS partition using your method? It would be extremely useful for Windows users to be able to boot the ISO from NTFS.
    Yes I got it working using the bootfrom= cheatcode.
    I didn't try yet the new version of the japan flavor of knoppix with should also have ISO from NTFS capability: http://unit.aist.go.jp/it/knoppix/kn...20.zip.torrent

Additional Info

With the help of these messages, now I can run Quantian-Knoppix from ntfs harddisk. I hope this trick also helps to you. I found a trick to boot knoppix from usb sticks. As you know, in order to boot from ntfs using bootfrom=, you need big knoppix file in another partition and it is too big to fit usb stick. To avoid this problem, I downloaded Quantian.0.5.9.2.iso which is only 8 MB(it is just for booting procedure) from mirrors then I copied knoppix file, linux24, minirt24.gz from iso to my ext2 partition(I think you can also copy these files to usb stick to use this trick). Then I used cheat code like fromhd=/dev/hda7 (my ext2 partition) and bootfrom=/dev/hda5/quantian.iso.

Moderator Moderator

Q for Fabianx: ISO boot from NTFS: bootfrom fromhd meaning ?

Hi Fabianx,
    First of all, thank you for your great work on Knoppix. Very well done !
    I have a couple of question about the knoppix boot: ramdisk / scripts ...
    And I would really appreciate if you would have some time to help me on this.

I really like knoppix and I believe that it would be even more popular if people working with a corporate computer running XP on a single NTFS partition could have a clean hardrive install. Basically I am talking about what you call the poor man install, and by clean I mean no change in the Mater Boot Record nor the partition table.

I already managed to boot GRUB from the boot.ini of the nt/xp boot loader. This boot.ini is a text file and everybody can understand that there is no risk to modify it and that it is very easy to remove this hook and the other "files" required by the knoppix boot (grub, kernel, ramdisk, and iso), to remove everything quickly in case of a corporate audit or IT issue...

I got grub with ntfs support in order to read the Knoppix kernel and ramdisk from the NTFS partition. I also got the Japanese flavor of knoppix 3.4 including the ntfs driver in the ramdisk and a modified linuxrc which allow me to boot Knoppix from the KNOPPIX loop back file out of the NTFS partition.

==> Well, it basically works, but I am trying now to
    1) boot from the ISO file instead of the KNOPPIX file and
    2) I would like to make it work on the 3.6 release.

==> So, could you please tell me:
    1) How / when should I use or what is the meaning of the "bootfrom" and "fromhd" cheatcodes ?
    2) The official 3.6 release si supposed to have NTFS support according to the knoppix-cheatcodes.txt file. What should I do to get my knoppix boot to work out a single ntfs partition as described above ?

Thank you for your time and answer,
    ruymbeke

Fabian, please help this guy. He's on a mission from God. We desperately need a script to perform a simple poor man's installation on the typical factory-configured XP computer, as a one-click option in Knoppix-installer!! This is the very key to Linux-Windows convergence!!

This is our future!

This is our destiny!

This is our quest!

Gilles, if you're simply asking how to use the cheatcodes, I put something here that might help.

jd

Windows Boot Loader

(of course, I'm still very reluctant to mess with Windows bootloader)
    No worries... You can mess around with the Win boot loader as much as you like. As long as you have an original windows-CD, all you have to do if you mess up is:
    - Insert the wincd
    - reboot
    - wait for winsetup to start
    - press F2 (automatic systemrecovery)
    I know this feature kinda sucks, but it fixes pretty much any possible boot problem. And if this does'nt save you, you can allways choose Repair in Win XP setup (You'll need an XP CD, of course), and type fixmbr. This works fabulously.

Re: Windows Boot Loader

Quote Originally Posted by McBlade
    This works fabulously.
    Unless, of course, you're one of the overwhelming majority of people (myself included) who bought a computer from a name-brand manufacturer, in which case, you don't have an original Windows CD - you just have a stupid recovery partition that stupidly restores the computer to its original factory defaults.

Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast