Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Senior Member registered user

KNOPPIX 5.1 PMI from NTFS

Hello, I am trying a poor man install on a laptop whose SATA disk holds a single partition formatted as NTFS (sda1). I can boot my 5.1(.0) CD fine, then write to the NTFS partiton to try and plug grub/grldr from boot.init. Note that I cannot do this from the windows side, as I don't have admin rights. I can't get the damn thing to work, though. Specifically:

I have extracted the grldr from Gilles' grube.zip (mentioned in the wiki) and grubi.zip (to try something more recent). They both start alright once referenced from boot.ini. I can use the grub comand-line, but my menu won't work. Also, it seems the kernel/minirt will only be found if copied to the root of the NTFS drive (examples I've seen seemed to imply it should work from e.g. /boot/knoppix.51/linux). I am using the minirt_51.gz and linux kernel provided in kno510.zip. Another suspicious sign is that if I copy the kernel and minirt to the top level, the kernel starts then quickly panics stating that no root FS could be mounted, and citing all the FS types that have been tried - which doesn't include NTFS ...

Any idea what I must have overlooked?

Moderator Moderator

Re: KNOPPIX 5.1 PMI from NTFS

Quote Originally Posted by kirol
    Hello, I am trying a poor man install on a laptop whose SATA disk holds a single partition formatted as NTFS (sda1)...
    ...Also, it seems the kernel/minirt will only be found if copied to the root of the NTFS drive...
    ...Another suspicious sign is that if I copy the kernel and minirt to the top level, the kernel starts then quickly panics stating that no root FS could be mounted, and citing all the FS types that have been tried - which doesn't include NTFS ...
    Hi,
    In the menu.lst, did you specify "bootfrom=/dev/sda1/boot/knoppix.51/*.iso" (sda1 instead of hda1)
    and did you match the case of the "boot" directory ? (lowercase "boot" both in the menu.lst and directory name)
    The linuxrc boot dcript of Knoppix 5.1 is now very sensitive to the casing.
    (my previous grubi.zip uses a uppercase BOOT directory and a lower case directory name in the menu.lst. Oops... sorry)
    In some cases, it has been observed that the kernel and initrd must be located in an other directory in order to
    be loaded properly by grub. This is a known limitation/bug of the ntfs module ported into grldr (any voluntary to fix it ?)
    The root (c:\) is in most cases a working directory location.
    Hope this helps and please let me know when you get it workling.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    In the menu.lst, did you specify "bootfrom=/dev/sda1/boot/knoppix.51/*.iso" (sda1 instead of hda1)
    and did you match the case of the "boot" directory ?
    Hello Gilles, here's my menu.lst entry:
    title Knoppix
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /linux init=/etc/init vga=791 ro bootfrom=/dev/sda1/home/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-EN.iso
    initrd /minirt_51.gz
    boot
    The error message I am seeing is (are):
    RAMDISK: incomplete write (-38!=3276...
    No filesystem could mount root, tried (...list of fs-types, no ntfs but fuseblk included...)
    Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block (1,3)
    Could you advise which grub4dos version to use, amongst the various ones I can find in successive releases of your grub*.zip, or the recent official 0.4.2...

My understanding was that it should now be possible to start from an ISO image on an NTFS and have a persistent home on that same unit, is this correct?

Thanks for your time.

Moderator Moderator

kernel /linux init=/etc/init vga=791 ro bootfrom=/dev/sda1/home/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-EN.iso
    Grub (grldr) is not the problem. Where is the kernel parameter: "ramdisk_size=100000" ? I believe you need it...

My understanding was that it should now be possible to start from an ISO image on an NTFS and have a persistent home on that same unit, is this correct?
    It is possible to boot from a iso file on a NTFS partition and to read data from that same NTFS partition.
    It is also possible to write on a NTFS partition, if it is not the partition that knoppix just used to iso boot from.
    For some unknown reason, I cannot remount rw the fuse & ntfs-3g mounted partition once it has been used to iso boot.
    (The remount works for other partition types as fat, ext, reiser, ... why not fuse/ntfs-3g ?)
    I experimented succcessfully to mount it as rw already at boot time and then to write on it, but I don't like this way.
    So to summarize, not yet but hopefully soon...
    Please let me know if the ramdisk_size=100000 fixes it.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

Please let me know if the ramdisk_size=100000 fixes it.
    It does! Thanks a lot. I should have thought of it with the "ramdisk.." error message, but I actually only noticed it this morning when copying the last few lines of bootlog in order to post them here.

Anyway, I can now boot without a CD. Fine. Any suggestion as to which version of grub4dos should allow me to move linux/minirt/menu.lst out of the root, so I have a slight chance of staying below the radar ?-) Are you applying any additional patches to your version, or should I just go with 0.4.2 ?

It seems ntfs-3g is getting usable for the occasional editing of a file or overwrite of a DLL on a winbox, don't you think. Perhaps we could start relaxing about it, at least when using knoppix >= 5.1 on an NTFS unit that wasn't formatted from Vista...

Cheers,

--kirol

Moderator Moderator

..Any suggestion as to which version of grub4dos should allow me to move linux/minirt/menu.lst out of the root... ?
    As far as I know, the ntfs module did not change for a very long time and the maintainer of grub4dos
    has no plan to fix it. The difference in grldr versions is more related to extra features as to boot from
    floppy/hdd images,... but no change about ntfs. I have added other network patches for pxe boot in the past,
    but I now just use the official releases. So the version of grldr you use doesn't really matter
    for the ntfs point of view. I am glad to read that you got it working.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

I am glad to read that you got it working.
    Yes, thanks to you. I've tried the grldr that was bundled with grube.zip/grubi.zip and the 0.4.2 version, and none can start a kernel or find any file underneath the root, so I am pretty convinced that all the examples that neatly tuck stuff away under /boot only ever worked from FAT partitions, really.

Moderator Moderator

...I am pretty convinced that all the examples that neatly tuck stuff away under /boot only ever worked from FAT partitions...
    No, I have it working on several XP/NTFS machines under/boot/knoppix.xxx
    I have a feeling that grub have a hard time to go down the folder tree with "old" or heavily used ntfs partitions.
    I never got a problem on a newly installed or almost empty ntfs partitions.
    My understanding is that the simplified and old ntfs port used in grub (grldr)
    do not handle very well large or fragmented directory structures.
    (The root is usually not too fragmented since it is the first created directory on a partition)
    For fun you may try to store the knoppix boot file in an old directory of your partition
    (do not create a new directory, and do not move the data, just copy it again in that directory)
    I got it working by playing this trick in the past...
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

Moderator Moderator

Knoppix 5.11 vm update using the 39849 build tools

Hello,
    Please find below the link to an update of the Knoppix 5.11 vm using the 39849 build tools (Workstation 6.0 beta 2):
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/vmk511_39849b.zip
    This update is required to get the mouse to work properly via the built-in vnc server of the new vmware workstation 6.0.
    Please note that this vm is backward compatible with previous versions of vmware, especially worstation 5.5.x & player 1.x
    http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/662 (VmWare link)
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=110103#110103 (more info about this vm)
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=110240#110240 (previous 5.1.1 vm using 36983 tools)
    Have fun, and please provide some feedback...
    Gilles

MD5:
    fc2611d3a32433dbbfb2323a51ccda52 *vmk511_39849b.zip (8'018'484)

...I am pretty convinced that all the examples that neatly tuck stuff away under /boot only ever worked from FAT partitions...
    No, I have it working on several XP/NTFS machines under/boot/knoppix.xxx
    I have a feeling that grub have a hard time to go down the folder tree with "old" or heavily used ntfs partitions.
    I never got a problem on a newly installed or almost empty ntfs partitions.
    My understanding is that the simplified and old ntfs port used in grub (grldr)
    do not handle very well large or fragmented directory structures.
    (The root is usually not too fragmented since it is the first created directory on a partition)
    For fun you may try to store the knoppix boot file in an old directory of your partition
    (do not create a new directory, and do not move the data, just copy it again in that directory)
    I got it working by playing this trick in the past...
    Best Regards,
    Gilles
    I have been playing with this problem recently. I believe grub finds files below the root when running NTFS from Windows XP or Windows XP Service Pack 1. However, Windows XP Service Pack 2 seems to have introduced something which means files cannot be found below the root by grub.

ICPUG

Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast