Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Re: Knoppix 5.3.1 ISO boot (with "ntfs_rw" cheatco

Hello Gilles,

yesterday I started with Knoppix 5.31. I prepared all with http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/knx531.zip form you and it runs. Thank you for that.

After that I liked to create an encrypted knoppix home image. But the coressponding script /usr/sbin/knoppix-mkimage fails during encryption.
    The error message is

ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Das Argument ist ungültig (german, stands for: argument is wrong), requested cipher or key length (256 bits) not supported by kernel

The cipher is AES256.

I tested the same booting from CD directly. In this case it works.

Is it possible to enable the AES256 facility within the kernel?

Holger

Re: Knoppix 5.3.1 ISO boot (with "ntfs_rw" cheatco

With the help of Google I found that "modprobe cryptoloop" could help.
    Within the running system it helped. To get it during the boot process I copied /usr/sbin/knoppix-image to / of the minirt and modifiered linuxrc in such a way that it is moved back just before init is started. I modifiered knoppix-image with "modprobe cryptoloop" before it is needed. (I had a try with a copy of cryptoloop.ko in /modules and loadmodule also, but it didn't work)

It is clear: it is a hack.

The script knoppix-image is realitivly new (Okt 2007). That may be the reason that it does not work with minirt531.

Holger

Quote Originally Posted by Salvano
    Hello Gilles,

yesterday I started with Knoppix 5.31. I prepared all with http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/knx531.zip form you and it runs. Thank you for that.

After that I liked to create an encrypted knoppix home image. But the coressponding script /usr/sbin/knoppix-mkimage fails during encryption.
    The error message is

ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Das Argument ist ungültig (german, stands for: argument is wrong), requested cipher or key length (256 bits) not supported by kernel

The cipher is AES256.

I tested the same booting from CD directly. In this case it works.

Is it possible to enable the AES256 facility within the kernel?

Holger

Member registered user
    grub boot of knoppix5.3..DVD.iso on USB flash drive (ext2) :
    have tried home=scan results in no knoppix.img being loaded and no mention of knoppix.img in the booting screen.
    have tried home=/media/sda1/knoppix.img results in an error something like /usr/sbin/knoppix-image
    have tried home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img also results in no persistent knoppix disk image being loaded.

With the help of Google I found that "modprobe cryptoloop" could help.
    Within the running system it helped. To get it during the boot process I copied /usr/sbin/knoppix-image to / of the minirt and modifiered linuxrc in such a way that it is moved back just before init is started. I modifiered knoppix-image with "modprobe cryptoloop" before it is needed. (I had a try with a copy of cryptoloop.ko in /modules and loadmodule also, but it didn't work)

It is clear: it is a hack.

The script knoppix-image is realitivly new (Okt 2007). That may be the reason that it does not work with minirt531.

Holger
    if this is the solution; no it is not clear. could we have a rewrite in simpler terms please. start with how to go about ediiting minirt_531.gz, or perhaps pack a new one and put it somewhere for download. thanks

Member registered user
    using
    home=/media/sda1/knoppix.img
    on a different computer now and persistent image is now functioning. dont know why persistent image wouldnt load on the previous two computers.
    knoppix swap wont load from the same partition as the .iso.
    fusion only comes when it itself pleases.
    otherwise mostly were dancing. so many games

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Quote Originally Posted by wslkevin
    ...kernel /knoppix/linux26 bootfrom=/dev/hda5/KNOPPIX*.iso knoppix_name=KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init ro lang=tw vga=791 noprompt noapm lcd ttf2ram ...Could you tell me how to access the partition /dev/hda5?
    You are booting from /dev/hda5/KNOPPIX*.iso !
    So /mnt/hda5 is already mounted by the boot script as read only, and as far as I know, it would be very dangerous to remount this partition as rw using ntfs-capture even if you could force it. But you should be able to mount /dev/hda1.
    Gilles
    As per this page http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key we should be able to fool knoppix to mount the partition read/wriite.
    Does anyone know the exact command to mount the hda5 partition .I tried various remount commands like

Code:
    mount  -o rw,remount /dev/hda5
    Code:
    mount  -o rw,remount /dev/cdrom
    Code:
    mount  -o rw,remount /dev/cdrom2.loop
    but none seems to be able to remount the hda5 partition read/write.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by patelbhavesh
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Quote Originally Posted by wslkevin
    ...kernel /knoppix/linux26 bootfrom=/dev/hda5/KNOPPIX*.iso knoppix_name=KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init ro lang=tw vga=791 noprompt noapm lcd ttf2ram ...Could you tell me how to access the partition /dev/hda5?
    You are booting from /dev/hda5/KNOPPIX*.iso !
    So /mnt/hda5 is already mounted by the boot script as read only, and as far as I know, it would be very dangerous to remount this partition as rw using ntfs-capture even if you could force it. But you should be able to mount /dev/hda1.
    Gilles
    As per this page http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key we should be able to fool knoppix to mount the partition read/wriite.
    Does anyone know the exact command to mount the hda5 partition .I tried various remount commands like

Code:
    mount  -o rw,remount /dev/hda5
    Code:
    mount  -o rw,remount /dev/cdrom
    Code:
    mount  -o rw,remount /dev/cdrom2.loop
    but none seems to be able to remount the hda5 partition read/write.
    Ok finally figured it out we need to give the full path and the filesytem type
    Code:
     mount -t ext3 -o remount,rw /dev/hdd5  /cdrom2.loop/

Moderator Moderator

VmWare Workstation 650/player 250 (118166) + Knoppix 531/511

Hello,
    Please find below the new VmWare Workstation 6.5.0 or Player 2.5.0 (build 118166) virtual machine:
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/vmk531_118166.zip (53.7MB) for both Knoppix 5.3.1 and Knoppix 5.1.1
    (there is a boot option to select which one of the Knoppix 5.3.1 of Knoppix 5.1.1 iso is used)
    Have fun, and please provide some feedback...
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

And with the added persistence menu option (53.7MB) for both Knoppix 5.3.1 and Knoppix 5.1.1:
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/vmk531_118166a.zip

md5:
    600a0a9c054d6ad0ba65c49eaa96f8d0 *vmk531_118166.zip
    f360434d687dd4cca8af5f13e1bdcbfd *vmk531_118166a.zip

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/60868 (VmWare appliances listing link)

Question

Hi,

a few quick questions is there a 5.1.1 only vmk?
    because the boot screen is just annoying...
    or i could just download the 5.3.1 if it's better and if i find it, is it a beta?

oh and also what is the persistence menu option?

sorry i'm a little short on time to search the forums

thanks

Moderator Moderator

Re: Question

Hello,
    You can easily remove the unwanted boot options from the grub menu by editing the menu.lst file in the hda1 virtual drive.
    To do so: boot all the way and then right click ont he hda1 icon and make that device writable, edit /mnt/hda1/menu.lst and reboot.
    IMHO, Knoppix 5.1.1 is more robust and stable but since Knoppix 5.3.1 is using a more recent build of the kernel,
    it will support the more recent hardware (if you run it on as a host) and have all the latest Open Source features.
    Persistence allow you to keep changes (your data and configurations) across reboots.
    By definition a Ramdisk will loose it's content at power off (or a virtual virtual shut off / reboot).
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles

Quote Originally Posted by Maner
    Hi,
    a few quick questions is there a 5.1.1 only vmk?
    because the boot screen is just annoying...
    or i could just download the 5.3.1 if it's better and if i find it, is it a beta?
    oh and also what is the persistence menu option?
    sorry i'm a little short on time to search the forums
    thanks

Moderator Moderator

VmWare Workstation 651/player 251 (126130) + Knoppix 531/511

Hello,
    Please find below the new VmWare Workstation 6.5.1 or Player 2.5.1 (build 126130) virtual machine:
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/vmk531_126130.zip (53.3MB) for both Knoppix 5.3.1 and Knoppix 5.1.1
    there are grub boot options to select for persistence or ramdisk and which one of the Knoppix 5.3.1 of Knoppix 5.1.1 iso is used
    Cf: VmWare appliances listing link: http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/60868
    Have fun, and please provide some feedback...
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

md5:
    8dace812cf56b9ab79e240a714851fcf *vmk531_126130.zip (55'907'735)

Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast