[quote="ruymbekeDid you verify the date (12162004) of the linuxrc script in the multicolor knoppix ?
Do you have more than one iso file in the same directory ?
Do you load the kernel, initrd and iso of the same knoppix 3.7, dec 8 2004 release ?
It works on both my laptop and destop ... It should work on yours as well...
Cheers, Gilles[/quote]

I think there might be one strange feature left. I set up as suggested using the files from GRUB3D and the Dec 8 2004 ISO Knoppix ISO. I changed the menu.lst to reflect that i was booting from the 2nd partion of my only hard drive ( HD0,1)
Booting to Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.4 goes perfectly, but the same setup booting to kernel 2.6 gives two errors
-The first that it does not like the PNP Bios is minor, but then having used pnpbios=off, it still fails to boot fully.

I am welcomed to the multi-coloured Knoppix live and it then carries on looking for the Knoppix CD-ROM and gives up at /dev/hdh16 .. This is a little JVC Mini-note with neither floppy disk nor CD-ROM !

clearly it is not seeing the ISO whenbooting for kernel 2.6

Failure then continues
mount: could not setup loop device
accessing knoppix CDROM failed /cdrom2.loop/boot/knoppix.37/*.iso is not mount

The identical setup for Knoppix 37 with Kernel 2.4 works so there is nothing fundamentally wrong. Are there some hard coded addresses in the linuxrc for 2.6 ?

I am stumped
John