Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG
    ... you modify the boot.ini to add the line: C:\bootgrub="Knoppix Submenu". I did not see how this would start grldr...
    "grldr" will work on XP machines. "bootgrub" will work on both 2000 and xp machines but it requires an extra file (c:\bootgrub) to load grldr. As described previously, the file c:\bootgrub is in the directory boot.bin of the grubx.zip. Note: bootgrub, which is already included at the beginning of the grldr file, is the run time ntldr patch required to start grub from the boot.ini.
    PS: you should use menu.Lst and not menu.1st
    Cheers, Gilles

I have made the changes to boot.ini and copied the files to the root of my C: drive as instructed. When I restart my computer and select gurb from the menu, I am dumped at a command prompt.

What did I do wrong? My other opperating system is windows XP if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet_voice
    I have made the changes to boot.ini and copied the files to the root of my C: drive as instructed. When I restart my computer and select gurb from the menu, I am dumped at a command prompt.
    Do you have the "c:\boot\grub\menu.lst" file in the first partition of the first disk drive ? You got a prompt because Grub did not find the menu.lst file... If your setup is different, you should try to copy the file menu.lst into the /boot/grub directory of the first partition of the first drive.
    What did I do wrong? My other opperating system is windows XP if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for your help.
    No it works with all the plaforms I have tried: dos, 98, 2000, XP, Linux, OpenBsd, ...
    Please let me know the result. Cheers, Gilles

I had a clue that the reason for the prompt was that it couldn't find the menu.lst file. I double checked and it is there as expected.

I did some further investigation and found that grub could see all the files in the root of my c: drive but not in any of the sub directories. So 'find /boot/grub/menu.lst' or 'find /boot/memdisk' returns file not found.

If I move all the files into the root of the c: drive and modify the menu.lst file accordingly then I can sucessfully boot by using 'configfile (hd0,0)/menu.lst'.

So I am closer than I was before, but.... how do I either make grub understand sub directories or change the path it looks for the default config file. Obviously the latter is a second best option.

Moderator Moderator
    I had a clue that the reason for the prompt was that it couldn't find the menu.lst file. I double checked and it is there as expected. I did some further investigation and found that grub could see all the files in the root of my c: drive but not in any of the sub directories. So 'find /boot/grub/menu.lst' or 'find /boot/memdisk' returns file not found. If I move all the files into the root of the c: drive and modify the menu.lst file accordingly then I can sucessfully boot by using 'configfile (hd0,0)/menu.lst'. So I am closer than I was before, but.... how do I either make grub understand sub directories or change the path it looks for the default config file. Obviously the latter is a second best option.
    Done. Grub is already supposed to understand sub directories and it works on my computers. Nevertheless I recompiled grub with an integrated menu.lst with the "configfile (hd0,0)/menu.lst" as a default menu and 0 timeout. Or in other words, Grub (grldr, grub.exe, stage...) will first look for the configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst' and if not found it will try then the configfile (hd0,0)/menu.lst'. So it is bakward compatible and just add the root menu.lst as a second menu location option. This should solve your problem. Here are the links for just the grldr file and the full grub package:
    http://s94592085.onlinehome.us/grub/grldr
    http://s94592085.onlinehome.us/grub/grubb.zip
    Please let me know the result of you tests. Cheers, Gilles

Senior Member registered user
    Gilles, will this help my current situation (see below)? Doesn't look like it to me.

After I got this working in my home computer, I tried setting it up on my daughter's . No dice - dumps me to a command prompt. My daughter's computer is a stock HP Pavilion, meaning that it is set up with a FAT32 recovery partition as hda1 (Drive D:\ ), and the remainder of the hd is hda2 (NTFS) (Drive C:\ ). I installed everything to the C: drive, but changed all the menu.lst addresses from hd(0,0) to hd(0,1). Same result. My computer is also an HP Pavilion, but just before I tried this, I upgraded the hd and dumped the recovery partition, so C:\ = hda1 on mine, not hda2 as on my daughter's. Will your recompiled grldr find my daughter's menu.lst at C:\boot\menu.lst, if c: is hda2 or hd(0,1)? I would prefer not to dump her recovery partition. I suppose I might be able to cram menu.lst into the recovery partition (there may be room), but I'd rather find a solution that's easier for other HP users.

As to that last point, I went to update the how-to, and found that the link to your files now points to a gruba.zip. Is that where you keep the latest now? If we can't make grub look for the config file on stock HPs, I think I should at least add a note for HP users (I assume Compaq also). Thanks

jd

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    ...Will your recompiled grldr find my daughter's menu.lst at C:\boot\menu.lst, if c: is hda2 or hd(0,1)?
    I recompiled grub and included a menu.lst within the grub binary which will look for the menu.lst file in different locations, as directories, partitions, and drives. Here are the links for just the grldr file and the full grub package:
    http://s94592085.onlinehome.us/grub/grldr
    http://s94592085.onlinehome.us/grub/grubc.zip

As info, find below the menu.lst I included within the grub binary to do the menu.lst search across the partitions and drives:
    timeout=0
    default=0
    fallback=1

title Default: /boot/grub/menu.lst (GvR Oct 6th 2004)
    findroot /boot/grub/menu.lst
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Fallback: /menu.lst
    findroot /menu.lst
    configfile /menu.lst

Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    ... I went to update the how-to, and found that the link to your files now points to a gruba.zip. Is that where you keep the latest now?
    As you can see, my latest version is grubc.zip and the next one will be grubd.zip, and so on ... I will also try to keep your wiki help link http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/WinPartition updated.

PS: Sorry for the mistake, but to start grub from the dos config.sys, use "shell=grub.exe" instead of "device="...

I hope this will help. Could you please post some feedback about these changes ?
    Thank you, Gilles

Thanks for doing that, now at least I can boot without having to type in command line details. It picks up the menu in the root nicely.

The problem for me is still that the disk and cdrom images also need to be in the root otherwise they are not found. While this works it is not the most tidy of solutions, and it also means that documenting how to install is also more complicated.

Is there anything I can do to help you track down what the problem is in reading files from subdirectories? I presume that it is nothing to do with permissions or something silly.

Moderator Moderator
    ...Is there anything I can do to help you track down what the problem is in reading files from subdirectories? I presume that it is nothing to do with permissions or something silly.
    I recompiled grub from CVS, applied the latest patches and manually solved all the rejects, but it looks like that the problem is still there: in some cases, grub cannot access some files and directories when most of them are perfectly readable. As I understand, this has nothing to do with permissions but more about the fact that the file or directory may not be contiguous on the disk or something else in the ntfs topology. I looks like that the problem shows up on pretty full disks. Speedisk doesn't help. It may also be a bug or restriction in the fsys_ntfs.c file. It is a simplified and customized version of the Linux driver. Anyone else have a idea ? I have to look at it ...
    Could you please help me to figure out what are the conditions to make the reading not to work ? You can type something like "kernel (hdx,x)/" and use the "tab key" for autocompletion to check if you have access to the content of the directories and press the "enter key" to check if you can read the file.
    Thanks, Gilles

I have done as you ask, and you were correct, there is some directories that it can read and others it cannot, however I have been unable to find a pattern in them yet. My disk is not particually fragmented, and it is only about half full.

Looking at the root of (hd0,0) it will list all the files present, including all the sub directories. If I type the '/win', it will complete the name to '/winDOWS/' and a slash character and then presssing tab will list all the files in the directory. However if I look at a directory that it does not understand, typing '/boo' will complete the name to '/boot' but will not add the slash that it should if it thought it was a directory entry.

I then tried to select three different files to check the error messages returned. I am retyping from a different machine so the spacing may not be as expected.

kernel (hd0,0)/msdos.sys
    Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format
    kernel (hd0,0)/windows/
    Error 16: File not found
    kernel (hd0,0)/windows
    Error 2: Bad file or directory type
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/
    Error 16: File not found
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot
    Error 2: Bad file or directory type

I will carry on to see if I can find a pattern and report back what I find, however if there is anything more specific you want me to try, please let me know.

Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast