Hello, I am trying a poor man install on a laptop whose SATA disk holds a single partition formatted as NTFS (sda1). I can boot my 5.1(.0) CD fine, then write to the NTFS partiton to try and plug grub/grldr from boot.init. Note that I cannot do this from the windows side, as I don't have admin rights. I can't get the damn thing to work, though. Specifically:

I have extracted the grldr from Gilles' grube.zip (mentioned in the wiki) and grubi.zip (to try something more recent). They both start alright once referenced from boot.ini. I can use the grub comand-line, but my menu won't work. Also, it seems the kernel/minirt will only be found if copied to the root of the NTFS drive (examples I've seen seemed to imply it should work from e.g. /boot/knoppix.51/linux). I am using the minirt_51.gz and linux kernel provided in kno510.zip. Another suspicious sign is that if I copy the kernel and minirt to the top level, the kernel starts then quickly panics stating that no root FS could be mounted, and citing all the FS types that have been tried - which doesn't include NTFS ...

Any idea what I must have overlooked?