Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Senior Member registered user
    Just wanted to suggest appending the cheatcode "noprompt" in the GRUB stanzas. At shutdown or restart, Knoppix won't prompt you to remove the CD and push Enter, Given that this method doesn't use a CD, it seemed appropriate, and saves a little time and annoyance.

jd

Junior Member registered user
    There is just one HDD in my notebook, there are two partitions in the HDD. The KNOPPIX ISO-image is stored in the first partition.

I can boot up the KNOPPIX, and can mount /dev/hda1 successful. But can't mount /dev/hda5 (the second partition). [The command is "mount -t ntfs /dev/hda5 /mnt/hdz5"] It displays:

"/dev/hda5 has already mounted, or /mnt/hda5 is busy".

What can I do? Thank you very much.

First of all congratulations to Ruymbeke, Eco2Geek, J.Drake and the nameless Japanese for driving this project to the end we have all been wanting. I have been following this thread since its inception, eagerly awaiting its outcome.

Being away from work for a few days I have today spent some time reading the thread in total, in order to decide what I need to download and the steps I need to take to implement the grub boot, both on an NTFS machine and on a Windows 98 FAT32 machine.

I have some questions, specifically to Ruymbeke, I guess.

When grub3.zip was released it was for 3.4 Knoppix only and worked with NTFS, FAT16, FAT32.

As I understand it grub4.zip introduced stuff which in theory made it work with 3.6 Knoppix. And was only for kernal 2.6.

I am not sure what grub5.zip or grub6.zip introduced.

Grub7.zip included the capability to boot kernal 2.4, adjusted memory allocation and then the correct 3.6 version of the linux26 was added to it. I presume the new 2.4 stuff was reason for a sudden jump in file size (over 5MB to over 8MB - a bit annoying as I only have dial up when not at work!)

Grub8.zip makes memory allocation more flexible.

The question now is does grub8.zip work with NTFS, FAT16 and FAT32 and can it be used on a Windows 98 computer? If not, which version of grub.zip is required to provide the boot up on a Windows 98 computer?

Earlier in the thread it was pointed out that Makeflo needs Windows 2K/XP to make Grub floppies. Can you confirm this will NOT work with Windows 98. Making floppies does not seem to be a task specific to later Windows versions.

It seems that the zip file has to be updated for each new Knoppix version that gets released, because the miniroot and kernal files have to change. Does that mean we are reliant on the Japanese to provide these updates for future versions?

Does anyone else think it is strange that the Linux Tag German Knoppix forum, the Developers Forum and Fabian have all seem to have disappeared within the last 2 months? I'm sure Fabian would have been very useful to solving this problem if he had responded to Ruymbeke's plea for help. I know we cannot expect Klaus or Fabian to do more than the invaluable work they have already done but I do find these disappearances slightly worrying.

Thanks for any help you can provide to my queries above.

ICPUG

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wslkevin
    ... /dev/hda5 has already mounted, or /mnt/hda5 is busy
    Are you using the home=scan or config=scan cheatcode ? Do you have something like a /dev/hda5/knoppix.img ? If so, the partition is already mounted and used by your home directory.

Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Just wanted to suggest appending the cheatcode "noprompt" in the GRUB stanzas. At shutdown or restart, Knoppix won't prompt you to remove the CD and push Enter, Given that this method doesn't use a CD, it seemed appropriate, and saves a little time and annoyance.
    Very good idea, I will try it asap... but I will gone most of next week.

Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG
    The question now is does grub8.zip work with NTFS, FAT16 and FAT32 and can it be used on a Windows 98 computer?
    Yes. Grub.exe can be launched from DOS/98/ME (without emm386.exe): either from the command prompt, from the autoexec.bat, or from the config.sys using SHELL=grub.exe. NTFS support has been added to the existing FAT16/32, ext2, ... functionality.

Earlier in the thread it was pointed out that Makeflo needs Windows 2K/XP to make Grub floppies.
    I confirm that makeflo will NOT work with Windows 98. The tool dd.exe (part of the cygwin distribution) that I am using requires 2000 or XP to have a low level (block device) access to the drives. This is not available within 98/ME. I can make a grub boot floppy disk image if you want, ... Or you can make it yourself from knoppix using this:
    dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
    dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1

It seems that the zip file has to be updated for each new Knoppix version that gets released, because the miniroot and kernal files have to change. Does that mean we are reliant on the Japanese to provide these updates for future versions?
    No. It took me a while to understand the changes made in the japanese version, and I hope that I will be able to update the next release without too much trouble, if this patch is not going to be part of the next release.

...8MB file, a bit annoying as I only have dial up when not at work!
    Most of the time I also have provided links to the updated files: minirt24_ntfs.tgz, minirt24_ntfs.tgz, ...

Does anyone else think it is strange that the Linux Tag German Knoppix forum, the Developers Forum and Fabian have all seem to have disappeared within the last 2 months? ... I do find these disappearances slightly worrying...
    Agreed !

Cheers, Gilles

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    ... /dev/hda5 has already mounted, or /mnt/hda5 is busy
    Are you using the home=scan or config=scan cheatcode ? Do you have something like a /dev/hda5/knoppix.img ? If so, the partition is already mounted and used by your home directory.
    Cheers, Gilles
    The content of menu.lst is
    title KNOPPIX BV1AL (ISO)(Tranditional Chinese,normal, BV1AL, short)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /knoppix/linux26 bootfrom=/dev/hda5/KNOPPIX*.iso knoppix_name=KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init ro lang=tw vga=791 noprompt noapm lcd ttf2ram
    initrd /knoppix/miniroot_ntfs.gz

Could you tell me how to access the partition /dev/hda5? Thanks in advance.

Moderator Moderator
    ...kernel /knoppix/linux26 bootfrom=/dev/hda5/KNOPPIX*.iso knoppix_name=KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init ro lang=tw vga=791 noprompt noapm lcd ttf2ram ...Could you tell me how to access the partition /dev/hda5?
    You are booting from /dev/hda5/KNOPPIX*.iso !
    So /mnt/hda5 is already mounted by the boot script as read only, and as far as I know, it would be very dangerous to remount this partition as rw using ntfs-capture even if you could force it. But you should be able to mount /dev/hda1.
    Gilles

The method provided in this thread can make one Traditional Chinese KNOPPIX ISO-image (say, K1) booting up off NTFS, but it doesn't work for another one Traditional Chinese KNOPPIX ISO-image (say, K2).

The content of my menu.lst for "K2":

### The kernel file linux24 is from ruymbeke, it can't boot up KNOPPIX K2, and said "Inconsistent Filesystem Structure" when running the line "kernel ..."
    title KNOPPIX pureKDE (ISO)(kernel 2.4.26, Tranditional Chinese,normal, pureKDE, short)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /knoppix/linux24 bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNOPPIX*.iso knoppix_name=KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init ro lang=tw vga=791 noprompt noapm lcd ttf2ram
    initrd /knoppix/minirt24_ntfs.gz

### The kernel linux26 is from the Japanese one, it can boot up KNOPPIX K2, but said "can't find the file /lib/modules/2.6.7/modules.dep", and some devices, i.e. NIC, doesn't work
    title KNOPPIX pureKDE (ISO)(kernel 2.6.7, Tranditional Chinese,normal, pureKDE, short)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /knoppix/linux26 bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNOPPIX*.iso knoppix_name=KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init ro lang=tw vga=791 noprompt noapm lcd ttf2ram

### The kernel file linux265 is from the CD of KNOPPIX K2, and I rename it to linux265, it can't boot up KNOPPIX K2, and said "Inconsistent Filesystem Structure" when running the line "kernel ..."
    title KNOPPIX pureKDE (ISO)(kernel 2.6.5, Tranditional Chinese,normal, pureKDE, short)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /knoppix/linux265 bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNOPPIX*.iso knoppix_name=KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init ro lang=tw vga=791 noprompt noapm lcd ttf2ram

P.S. There are two folders name 2.4.27 and 2.6.5 under /lib/modules.

Is that a problem of the kernel file? How can I solve it?
    Thanks very much in advance.

Hope no one minds, but I summarized this method into the WIKI here , and linked it from the PoorMan'sInstall page. I also separated out the Basic Poor Man's instructions into a different file, so now a new user has introductory information to a PMI, with links to either a Basic or WinPartition PMI how-tos. At 11 pages so far, it's gotten to be quite a chore to sift through the successes and frustrations of this thread to get to the method.

Ruymbeke, if you have any concerns about pointing back to your site to download the files, we can always point somewhere else if you'd prefer. I linked to the grub8 version.

jd

Moderator Moderator
    ...Is that a problem of the kernel file? How can I solve it? Thanks very much in advance.
    Well, you have to be sure that the kernel, the drivers within the ramdisk, and the ISO match the same release. I suggest that you use the full name of the ISO file in the bootfrom cheatcode (to be sure that you use the correct ISO file), use the kernel extracted from that ISO file, and if the drivers of the ramdisk minirt2x_ntfs.gz are compatible with your ISO file, ... it may work.

... I summarized this method into the WIKI here , and linked it from the PoorMan'sInstall page ...
    Great job !

Ruymbeke, if you have any concerns about pointing back to your site to download the files, we can always point somewhere else if you'd prefer. I linked to the grub8 version...
    No problem, you can keep it as is.
    Thank you, Gilles

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    ...Is that a problem of the kernel file? How can I solve it? Thanks very much in advance.
    Well, you have to be sure that the kernel, the drivers within the ramdisk, and the ISO match the same release. I suggest that you use the full name of the ISO file in the bootfrom cheatcode (to be sure that you use the correct ISO file), use the kernel extracted from that ISO file, and if the drivers of the ramdisk minirt2x_ntfs.gz are compatible with your ISO file, ... it may work.
    Yes, the kernel file is extract from the ISO file.

There is just one ISO file in /dev/hda1, so I think it is okey to use the short form.

What is the driver within the ramdisk? How can I verify that the drivers are compatible with my ISO file? If they are not compatible, how can I make it compatible?

I am so sorry that I have such questions, maybe they are very simple questions, but could you kindly tell to how to?

Thanks very much in advance.

Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast