Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Junior Member registered user
    ruymbeke....

I downloaded your minirt_usb4.gz today, and successfully booted knoppix-4.0.2.iso on a fat32 - awesome!!

Only problem I'm having, is even though I specify lang=us in the batchfile, the desktop is still popping up German. Minor if using the desktop, just change from taskbar. ... But, I also made a runlevel 3 batchfile - but I can't run it - it screws up my keyboard. /mnt/hda1 becomes -mnt-hda1.

Here's my desktop.bat:
    Code:
    @echo off
    C:
    cd \boot\knoppix
    ..\grub\loadlin.exe linux initrd=minirt~1.gz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix/*.iso dma noapm acpi=off noapic pci=bios vga=791 lang=us quiet apm=power-off nomce noprompt
    Here's my run3.bat:
    Code:
    @echo off
    C:
    cd \boot\knoppix
    ..\grub\loadlin.exe linux initrd=minirt~1.gz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix/*.iso 3 dma noapm acpi=off noapic pci=bios vga=791 lang=us quiet apm=power-off nomce noprompt
    So then I decided to extract and modify the minirt_usb4.gz:
    Code:
    gunzip minirt_usb4.gz
    mkdir todelete
    mount minirt_usb4 todelete -t ext2 -o loop

edit the knoppix-autoconfig to default from LANG="de" to LANG="us"

umount todelete
    gzip -9 minirt_usb4
    rmdir todelete
    But now, it disabled my mouse (??).

I've successfully modified the minirt.gz when I did my own remaster, but the minirt_usb4.gz is giving me problems.

Any suggestions? Or, is there a version defaulted to English?

Thanks in advance

ps:

After trying for 3 days with loadlin, I was extremely impressed with your package!!

cheers

Junior Member registered user
    got it....

needed to put the lang=us right after the /boot/knoppix/*.iso

how do you loop mount minirt_52.gz?

I have created a directory called /build to which I want to loopmount your patched minirt.gz file. The following works fine with an unpatched minirt.gz file:
    First I ungzip minirt.gz. Then I enter: mount minirt /build -o loop
    Then I'm able to see all the files inside and look at linuxrc script.

However, when I do all of the above with your minirt_52.gz ntfs patched file I can't get it to loop mount at all. Is there something special I need to do apart from the above. I've tried adding the extra option -t ext2 since the mount command seems to think its an ntfs image (I think...?). I also tried some of your other patched versions and none of them would loop mount by this method. I must be missing something/ doing something wrong.
    Any help would be appreciated because I'd like to play around with linuxrc for my own mods.

Moderator Moderator

Re: how do you loop mount minirt_52.gz?

Hello,
    I just mounted my minirt_511.gz in a ~knoppix/build directory with Knoppix 5.1.1
    and I do not see any problem. Cf below or the following link:
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/loopback511.jpg
    Be carefull not to mount the loopback into /build (build directory at the root level)
    since the root directory is quite small, it is only 5.8Meg !
    Hope this help... and please let me know how this works for you.
    Gilles

knoppix@vm-knoppix511:~$ su
    root@vm-knoppix511:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# mkdir build
    root@vm-knoppix511:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# gunzip minirt_511.gz
    root@vm-knoppix511:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# mount -o loop minirt_511 build
    root@vm-knoppix511:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# ls build
    KNOPPIX cdrom hosts linuxrc.402 linuxrc.new mnt proc sys
    bin dev lib linuxrc.501 linuxrc.old modules sbin tmp
    boot etc linuxrc linuxrc.51 media opt static usr
    root@vm-knoppix511:/ramdisk/home/knoppix#
    Quote Originally Posted by mcewanw
    I have created a directory called /build to which I want to loopmount your patched minirt.gz file...
    Any help would be appreciated because I'd like to play around with linuxrc for my own mods.

mmm... that worked from Knoppix but not Puppy Linux...?!

Thanks for that. It works fine from Knoppix (I just have a very old Knoppix 3.1), but interestingly it doesn't work from Puppy Linux. In Puppy I was able to loop mount its own minirt*.gz no problem but not your patched Knoppix one (or from the patched minirt from the old japanese version of knoppix). In the latter case I kind of remember some error message about a wrong NTFS signature? Any idea what that could mean? I thought these were all ext2 image files (according to the unix "file" command they are).

Is there some special signature you had to write to the file you had to write to the image file to make it work from ntfs as well as insmod ntfs script code lines (device type or something)?

loop mounts from puppy now too! :-)

Ignore my last question. I must have done something daft yesterday. I just tried loop mounting your patched minirt from puppy linux again, and this time it worked fine...!*?!!

Thanks again.

Any chance you could patch a minirt.gz for Damn Small Linux?

Hello ruymbeke

Great to be able to boot Knoppix from ntfs with your patched minirt.gz. However it is also frustrating that noone seems to have produced a similar thing for the very popular Knoppix-derived Damn Small Linux. I've spent hours today trying to do just that... unsuccessfully
    First I ungzipped your minirt52.gz, loop mounted the result, and looked at linuxrc.
    Then I did the same with DSL's minirt24.gz and used diff to see the differences.
    Based on the side by side diff window I tried copying and pasting what seemed like the relevant parts over from your patched linuxrc to the DSL one. In particular I copied over your versions of the functions: mount_it(); boot_from(); boot_from2(); copy_to(); and loadmodule(). I also copied the line: loadmodule fuse ... and appended ntfs to the BUILTIN_FS line. Finally I reassembled everything into a new minirt24.gz.
    But, as I say, it didn't boot - still couldn't find KNOPPIX whatever...
    I even tried making a second version by also copying over the modules directory out of your patched minirt...
    I didn't manually include any ntfs.o anywhere, so no manual insmod. Fact is, there wasn't any ntfs.o in the modules directory. Is that why this method doesn't work with DSL - is ntfs support compiled into KNOPPIX's kernel but not into DSL's kernel do you think? Or is the lengthy procedure I outlined above simply no good!

I really think it would be great if you could possibly do the same job for DSL you did for Knoppix - perhaps it would be easy for you to do since the linuxrc is very similar inside DSL to the Knoppix one?!

Quote Originally Posted by gluni
    hi there,

im encountering one little problem in my workstation6 and ur newest vm.
    i have to run the netcardconfig script on each boot, assigning all the parameters like ip, gateway and so on manually. on other vm it connects automatically. on the ifconfig dialog it doesnt show the eth0 until i have run the mentionned script.
    i know this is probably not really connected to ur vm but maybe u got an idea...
    thx
    jeff
    I have the same issue and have seen several other posts to that effect here and in http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25656. It seems to be specific to Knoppix running in VMware. dmesg indicates the card is recognized and configured by DHCP and eth0 brought up, then something happens afterward to take it down. For me, on boot-up, eth0 is configured but down, yet running ifup eth0 tells me it is already up. Attempting to configure the card with DHCP fails. I've searched the forum and don't find an answer, so I am working around it by configuring my network card to a static IP after each boot. Persistence doesn't help this, though my other configuration changes are preserved on next boot. The other thread I referenced suggests that the broadcast setting of 255.255.255.255 is to blame, which makes sense, except that my Debian etch virtual machine also has that broadcase setting and works fine. I'm really liking the ruymbeke virtual machine with persistence (5.1.1) and can live with this, but it would be nice for the network configuration to persist too.

blank screen at booting on acer v72ma MA

Hi!

I downloaded your "minirt_511.gz" for booting knoppix ON a old aladding V motherboard( acer V72ma MB,amd K6-2 550 CPU, 128M ram), a few seconds of grub(grub did find the knoppix filesysytem and booting ).... The screen went into blank and hang there, couldn't go on booting any more....
    while I runing "minirt_511.gz" on other PC no problem of booting at all..

Should I try adding code " vga=0" instead of vga = 799?

any other codes to fix up blank screen at booting?

Moderator Moderator

Re: blank screen at booting on acer v72ma MA

Quote Originally Posted by musclemania20079
    Hi!
    I downloaded your "minirt_511.gz" for booting knoppix ON a old aladding V motherboard( acer V72ma MB,amd K6-2 550 CPU, 128M ram), a few seconds of grub(grub did find the knoppix filesysytem and booting ).... The screen went into blank and hang there, couldn't go on booting any more....
    while I runing "minirt_511.gz" on other PC no problem of booting at all..
    Should I try adding code " vga=0" instead of vga = 799?
    any other codes to fix up blank screen at booting?
    Hello you may want to try vga=788 or vga=768 as described in this document:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions (under Linux video mode numbers)
    Pease let us know if this works for you.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast