Page 23 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Gilles,
    That worked perfectly -- thanks! I dug around the scripts a little and see what's going on now. Makes a lot more sense. I appreciate your help!

Dear experts,

I have been trying all the methods here to boot a Whoppix ISO from my NTFS partition.
    I got stuck when grub is trying to locate menu.lst. After two default failures, I got down to command-line and attempt to troubleshoot.

When I tried to tab into my C:\BOOT directory using "(hd0,0)/BOOT", I get:
    Error 17: Inconsistent filesystem structure.

Other folders seems fine. I logged out from my Windows domain logon and tried recreating the GRUB directories and files using my Computer Administrator account but to no avail.

Anyone has the same problem? Kindly advise if you have the solution.
    Thank you.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scaremonger
    Dear experts,
    I have been trying all the methods here to boot a Whoppix ISO from my NTFS partition.
    I got stuck when grub is trying to locate menu.lst. After two default failures, I got down to command-line and attempt to troubleshoot.
    When I tried to tab into my C:\BOOT directory using "(hd0,0)/BOOT", I get:
    Error 17: Inconsistent filesystem structure.
    Other folders seems fine. I logged out from my Windows domain logon and tried recreating the GRUB directories and files using my Computer Administrator account but to no avail.
    Anyone has the same problem? Kindly advise if you have the solution.
    Thank you.
    Move your menu.lst file into the root of c: c:\menu.lst and check that there is no other file called menu.lst in any other partition/disk in any directoy /boot nor /boot/grub. (Grub is looking first for the menu.lst in the /boot/grub directory and if not found looking into /boot and if not found into /). Then if you have a problem to access the boot directory from the grub command line, move the boot files (kernel and initrd) in an other directory reachable for grub and update the menu.lst. I know the ntfs driver module built-in grub could be improved. (There is some directories which cannot be reached). If someone is willing to work on it ... let me know. This is just a work around. Hope this helps, Gilles

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Move your menu.lst file into the root of c: c:\menu.lst and check that there is no other file called menu.lst in any other partition/disk in any directoy /boot nor /boot/grub. (Grub is looking first for the menu.lst in the /boot/grub directory and if not found looking into /boot and if not found into /). Then if you have a problem to access the boot directory from the grub command line, move the boot files (kernel and initrd) in an other directory reachable for grub and update the menu.lst. I know the ntfs driver module built-in grub could be improved. (There is some directories which cannot be reached). If someone is willing to work on it ... let me know. This is just a work around. Hope this helps, Gilles
    Thanks for your reply. Following your advice, I have deleted all menu.lst and left one at c:\ root directory. The kernel and initrd files are also moved to the root. It still doesn't seem to work. When I get to GRUB command prompt, I tried the following:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    kernel /linux

I get "Inconsistent filesystem structure". Tabbing the root directory, I can still see linux, menu.lst, minirt_ntfs.gz, etc.

My c:\menu.lst looks like this:
    ---
    ################################################## ####
    # GvR April 12th 2005
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    timeout=10
    default=1

title Default Boot on HD 0
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot

title Whoppix 2.7.1 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,0)/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/whoppix271-final.iso myconfig=/dev/hde1 ramdisk=32768 noprompt noeject
    initrd (hd0,0)/minirt_ntfs.gz
    boot

title Memory test
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/memtest

title Win311 from Dos from Floppy image 1.44Mb, just for fun...
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/memdisk
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/win311.img
    boot

---

FYI, I'm running XP pro with NTFS C:\ partition.
    Any idea?

Thanks.

Moderator Moderator
    ...I get "Inconsistent filesystem structure". Tabbing the root directory, I can still see linux, menu.lst, minirt_ntfs.gz, etc...
    If you get the grub menu, it means that grub can load the menu.lst. This is really good. Then it looks like that grub has some problem accessing the root of your ntfs partition to load the kernel. So I would suggest to find a directory where grub can browse to and load the kernel/initrd files from, and update your menu.lst file accordingly. Early created directories have the best chance of success. And I think that grub does not like fragmented files, so a full disk may not help. You could try to delete temporary some big files, copy the kernel and try again. Hope this helps, Gilles

Creation of Minirt_ntfs.gz

Hi All,

I have been following this thread for a while, it has been quite a journey. I think these live Cds are a great way forward, especially when they can be place don a hd and boot from iso. I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to post consolidated instructions on how to create a minirt_ntfs.gz for a knoppix distro and maybe even others such as kanotix. An earlier post alluded to what is necessary but did not go into enough detail. I'm fairly new to this sort of stuff but I would like to get envolved.

Best Regards

Brian

If you get the grub menu, it means that grub can load the menu.lst. This is really good. Then it looks like that grub has some problem accessing the root of your ntfs partition to load the kernel.
    Thanks Gilles. I don't think it loaded the menu.lst I placed in the root. The menu that I got was the one with 'Default' and 'Fallback' items. Anyway, I free my HD to half-full and ran defrag. Even used some file defrag utility to make sure all GRUB related files and folders are fragment-free. Still getting the same "Error 17: Inconsistent filesystem structure" when I tried "configfile /menu.lst". I can now access the c:\boot folder after renaming an old folder to c:\boot. It's weird that only old files/folders are accessible by GRUB. Any more ideas?

Moderator Moderator
    If you get the grub menu, it means that grub can load the menu.lst. This is really good. Then it looks like that grub has some problem accessing the root of your ntfs partition to load the kernel.
    Thanks Gilles. I don't think it loaded the menu.lst I placed in the root. The menu that I got was the one with 'Default' and 'Fallback' items. Anyway, I free my HD to half-full and ran defrag. Even used some file defrag utility to make sure all GRUB related files and folders are fragment-free. Still getting the same "Error 17: Inconsistent filesystem structure" when I tried "configfile /menu.lst". I can now access the c:\boot folder after renaming an old folder to c:\boot. It's weird that only old files/folders are accessible by GRUB. Any more ideas?
    If you can now access the c:\boot folder, you can try tu put the menu.lst, kernel and initrd files in there. Cheers, Gilles

Moderator Moderator

Re: Creation of Minirt_ntfs.gz

Quote Originally Posted by bswinburne
    Hi All,
    I have been following this thread for a while, it has been quite a journey. I think these live Cds are a great way forward, especially when they can be place don a hd and boot from iso. I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to post consolidated instructions on how to create a minirt_ntfs.gz for a knoppix distro and maybe even others such as kanotix. An earlier post alluded to what is necessary but did not go into enough detail. I'm fairly new to this sort of stuff but I would like to get envolved. Best Regards, Brian
    I wish I would have the time to do that. If you know how to access the inside of the initrd file and understand how to patch a linuxrc script, it is quite simple to update the kernel drivers and other tools (busybox, mount,...) to make a ntfs/fromiso version of a initrd file. But a generic step by step instruction procedure is quite hard to write. It is almost a case to case basis, but I will do my best to provide updates ... Cheers, Gilles

If you can now access the c:\boot folder, you can try tu put the menu.lst, kernel and initrd files in there. Cheers, Gilles
    Finally! I have managed to get it working.
    Although I can access the c:\boot folder, the files in it are still unreadable by GRUB. What I did was to get the latest version of GRUB loader from http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net, replacing the one from grube.zip. Using WINGRUB, I installed GRLDR and rewrote MENU.LST. The new GRLDR by default looks into c:\boot\grub\menu.lst but WINGRUB writes to c:\Grub\menu.lst. I loaded up a Hex Editor on GRLDR to point it to c:\Grub\menu.lst.

Works perfectly now. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction Gilles.
    Have a great day ahead!

Page 23 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast