Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Pavillion 304w

Hello all

I am trying to install knoppix 4.02 cd on a pavillion 304w.
    stock pavillions as you all know, come with a restore partition hd0,0 - drive D: and hd0,1 is the actual windows xp ntfs, drive C:

followed the instructions provided at the wiki, followed this thread in case I was missing something but when selecting grub at the bootloader I get this msgs:

Booting ' Default :/boot/grub/menu.lst (GvR Oct 6th 2004)
    find root/boot/grub/menu.lst
    Error 16 :File not found

and

Booting ' Fallback:/menu.1st
    Find root/menu.1st
    Error 16: File not found
    hit any key to continue

windows boots fine when selected on the boot menu.

we have:
    - renamed the directories from BOOT to boot and GRUB to grub
    - copied menu.lst from boot/grub/menu.lst to c:\menu.list

no luck. grub still cant find the boot menu.

looking at grldr hex dump I see this fragment:

(hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst

is grldr hard wired to look for menu.list (and support stuff) from the first partition only?

I may give it a try and hack it by making mods so it points to (hd0,1)/boot/grub/menu.lst any ideas?

a second question (and a silly one). again, please? what is the correct name of the directories? lowercase all? upper case all?

thanks in advance for any help.

Moderator Moderator

Re: Pavillion 304w

Quote Originally Posted by kh7v7
    ... restore partition hd0,0 - drive D: and hd0,1 is the actual windows xp ntfs, drive C: ...
    Try to use this grldr: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/grldr ,put your menu.lst in c:/ and all path names are lower case.
    Hope this helps, Gilles

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Try to use this grldr: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/grldr ,put your menu.lst in c:/ and all path names are lower case.
    Hope this helps, Gilles
    thanks so much for your fast reply Guilles.
    installed the new grldr at C:\ copied menu.lst to C:\ and booted.
    the menu was not found.
    copied the menu to hd(0,0) (drive d: )
    rebooted and the menu was found
    selected knoppix and got this...

Kernel (hd0,1)/boot/knoppix.402/linux ramdisk_size= 100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power off vga=791 nomce quiet boot from=/dev/hda2/boot/knoppix.402/ *.iso noprompt dma screen=1024x768

Error 18: Inconsistant file system structure

copied c:\boot (holding everything inside the iso included) to d:\boot and made the changes needed to reflect this on menu.lst.
    the system worked first try.

thanks a lot.

Moderator Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kh7v7
    ... Error 18: Inconsistant file system structure ...
    I am glad you got it working. But if you do not want to have the big iso file in d (hd0,0), you may still keep it in c (hd0,1) and update your menu.lst accordingly. The ntfs linux kernel module handle properly the ntfs partitions (to read the iso) but grub uses a simplified/old code and sometimes cannot find and load the menu.lst, kernel & ramdisk. A solution to this is to move these files in an other (older) directory or into the root of the ntfs partition. This is usually enough to get it working. Grub is supposed to search for the menu.lst in all disk drives and partitions and in several directories /boot/grub, /grub and /. I don't understand why it doesn't work in your case.
    Hope this helps, Gilles

...A solution to this is to move these files in an other (older) directory or into the root of the ntfs partition. This is usually enough to get it working. Grub is supposed to search for the menu.lst in all disk drives and partitions and in several directories /boot/grub, /grub and /. I don't understand why it doesn't work in your case.
    Hope this helps, Gilles
    I will try that next Guilles. would be nice and then use the space at the fat32 in hd(0,0) for a permanent home...

again, thanks so much for the help

Re: How to boot Knoppix 4.02 (cd or dvd data) from a USB don

Quote Originally Posted by kanat
    ... So will you be please to tell me how to boot from CD (i did default boot of Knoppix, everything OK) then switch to usb memory stick (some kind of chroot). I want that Knoppix will release /cdrom, so i will be able to umount /cdrom and mount other CD (for example to burn or move a multivolume archive to some HDDs)... kanat.
    3) boot from a cd: make a bootable cd with grub or isolinux and create/update the config files to match the path of your boot files
    4) boot from usb, look in here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758 (but this doesn't work for you now)
    Hope this helps, Gilles
    My system has no floppy at all. So i will try to master my own bootable CD. I like Knoppix have a lot of cheat-codes that helps to avoid changing something in CD. So is there a big difference between hdd and usb-hdd from point of view of Knoppix loader?
    (Never try to say: "knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1" and next time boot via "knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1", it will be great if a magic spells like:

knoppix tohd=/dev/uba1
    then
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/uba1 will solve my problem with releasing /cdrom. )

If possible will try simplest way: append 1Gb RAM to system and say "knoppix toram".

Moderator Moderator

...My system has no floppy at all. So i will try to master my own bootable CD...
    Why don't you like the hdd boot ? Maybe because you don't want to install nothing on a foreing computer.
    Anyway, without floppy and without bootable usb device, you will need to make your own bootable CD.
    To make it simple, I would suggest you to use a (mini) CD to boot from the bios which will run isolinux, which will then load and run grub (better bootloader with command line access, very usefull for debug) and finally load the kernel + ramdisk. Once the kernel is running it will recognize your usb disk and will load knoppix from your USB device (and not from the cd) which will allow you to use the cdrom for other tasks as CD burning. Dos this sounds reasonnable ?
    To do that you will still need grub.exe (which is also a kernel by itself), to be loaded by isolinux using these line in the isolinux.cfg file:
    label grub.exe
    kernel grub.exe
    my minirt_reiser.gz, to have the proper linuxrc script to boot from the iso being on your USB drive
    plus the linux kernel and the correct grub.lst on the cd.
    Hope this helps, Gilles

Junior Member registered user

Gilles,

thank you yet again for your work - I now have Knoppix 4.02 in the GRUB menu on my USB dongle, and it boots flawlessly. I can boot into Knoppix 3.7 or 4.02 (should I wish to).

I think I'm using a slightly different technique to your stadard technique - it all works out in the end 'though.

Essentially, I used Knoppix booted from CD to format the USB thumb drive, then partition it into three partitions - a FAT boot partition, a second FAT partition for exchanging data with Windows systems, and an ext2 partition to use as a writeable drive when booted into Linux.

I used (IIRC) dd to transfer GRUB to the MBR/boot sector of the bootable FAT partition of the USB thumb drive, so I just plug the thumb drive into the laptop's USB port and power on straight into GRUB - no DOS required. I then use your customised kernel to find the ISO on an XP NTFS partition and everything boots nicely!

the only fly in the ointment is that XP doesn't discover the second FAT partition I created, even though it is perfectly visible under Knoppix. Never mind - it does most of what I want, and it is SO nice to boot the work laptop into a useful OS.

The next project is to partition a 1 GByte USB thumbdrive, make a FAT bootable partition on it, and put the ISO onto another partition so I don't even have to have the ISO on the work HD - then I can basically hijack any PC that can be booted from its USB port.

Many, many thanks again.

Semreh

Junior Member registered user

Re: minirt_reiser.gz boot Knoppix 402 iso from Reiser partit

Hello,
    Please find below a link allowing to boot Knoppix 4.02 from the iso file being also on a reiser partition:
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/kno402r.zip
    PS, the same minirt_reiser.gz file can still be used to boot the iso from ntfs, fat16/32, ext2/3 or usb
    Enjoy and please give me some feedback,
    Cheers, Gilles
    Gilles,

further to my last message, I'm using the above. This ain't useful feedback, as I'm not using reiser, but I can confirm it (still) works with the ISO being on an NTFS partition.

Thanks,

semreh

...My system has no floppy at all. So i will try to master my own bootable CD...
    Why don't you like the hdd boot ? Maybe because you don't want to install nothing on a foreing computer.
    Hope this helps, Gilles
    Thanks, Gilles.

I did very simple thing and it did the desired effect.

0) format my 2Gb usb bar in vfat (FAT32), Insert Knoppix 3.9 LiveCD.
    1) boot knoppix tohd=/dev/uba1

Knoppix booted from CD, asks me to be patient and start copy /knoppix directory to /dev/uba1 (my usb bar), it takes a long time cause of speed ~1Mb/sec.
    After this system booted and was in a shape i have expected (/dev/uba1 mounted on /cdrom and i was able to eject knoppix CD, insert another one and see the new CD on /mnt/auto/cdrom) so everything works great.

1a) I have boot again Win XP and copy previously saved configs.tbz and knoppix.sh to root of usb bar.

and finally insert again Knoppix 3.9 LiveCD

2) boot knoppix fromhd=/dev/uba1 myconfig=/dev/uba1

and it works as expected.

So maybe this info is obvious for many users of Knoppix but it is proven way if one has no BIOS able to boot from usb, has no floppy on system, not enouph RAM to copy CD to, and wants to be able to burn info on the only CD-drive on system.

This way seems to be better becouse you need only official Knoppix LiveCD and 1Gb usb bar (that is much cheaper than 1Gb of RAM too)

Hope i did usefull experiment
    ---
    kanat.
    PS: Now i am writing from Knoppix booted this way (using Konqueror). ("Knoppix - from zero to linux in 5 minutes" ... indeed so)

Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast