Thread: New To KNOPPIX

New To KNOPPIX

HI

Just 2 questions i have downloaded the 6.2 dvd version and i know that it works on vista but can you
    tell me will that work on xp ? and the other question is when i locate my files and folders on the hard disk
    can i copy them and paste them into a flash memory stick 4gb using knoppix system ? or can i copy
    them on to the linnux sys . Thank you

Ger

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: New To KNOPPIX

Quote Originally Posted by gersweeney
    Just 2 questions i have downloaded the 6.2 dvd version and i know that it works on vista but can you
    tell me will that work on xp ?
    Well, it doesn't exactly "work on Vista" (what does?), so it doesn't "work on XP" either. It is a live CD (or DVD) and it works independent of any OS that you have on the hard disk. If you are asking if it can read XP files, then yes, it can read XP files just like it can read Vista files, as long as the partition isn't corrupted, protected by encryption, compressed, or part of a software based RAID array.

Quote Originally Posted by gersweeney
    ... and the other question is when i locate my files and folders on the hard disk
    can i copy them and paste them into a flash memory stick 4gb using knoppix system ? or can i copy
    them on to the linnux sys .
    You can copy them to a 4gig flash system (which is typically formatted with a FAT type partition.) You might have to enable write access to the 4 gig device, I'm not certain with the current version, but many times Knoppix defaults access to read-only to prevent accidents. You can't safely write to a lager USB hard disk that is NTFS formatted (but can safely write to a USB hard drive formatted with FAT32 or any other FAT format.) Assuming that you are running from the live CD or DVD, yes, you could copy the files to the Linux file system, but since that is in RAM disk they will be gone as soon as the computer is shut down or restarted. (If you are intending to install Knoppix the best advice that I can give you is don't.) You can also copy them across a network to another system, or burn them to optical media (this requires having multiple drives or 1 gig of RAM and using the toram cheat code when booting the CD version).