Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: usd pendrive, does it works?

Hybrid View

usd pendrive, does it works?

hi there, i bought a usb pen drive and when I run knoppix in my laptop it works fine. A /mnt/sda1 directory is created automatically end everything is fine.

But when i tried to use it in my PC it doesn't work.

i read dmesg :

usb.c registered new driver usb-storage
    SCSI1: SCSI emulation for usb mass storage devices
    Vendor: Name:
    Type: Printer
    usb m mass storage
    Warning : USB mass storage data integrity is not assured
    USB Mass Storage device found at 3
    USB support registered

but ther isn't /mnt/sda1 and i cant read /dev/sda1 or anything

help please

Senior Member registered user
    Add this to your fstab and it just might work:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/PenDrive vfat noauto,users,sync,rw 0 0

-OR-

/dev/sda1 /mnt/PenDrive usbdevfs noauto,users,sync,rw 0 0

You will have to mount the drive like this:

mount /mnt/PenDrive

Then just cd to that directory. Hopefully that does it.
    Post back if it doesn't.

i doesn't work.

When I try #mount /mnt/pen i get:
    modprobe: cannot fin module block-major-8

and /mnt/pen doesn't get mounted. I also tried #mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/pen and got the same result.

I've tried loading kernel modules: sg (for SCSI generic control) and some usb related, like usb-ohci and usb-uhci (which purpose, beeing a clueless linux newbie with a poor understanding of english, don't really grasp). usb-ohci fails to load, while in my laptop, it gets loaded automatically at boot time.

I can get a full refund for this pen drive, should i take it back to the store or should I wait and continue trying?

Sorry I think I forgot to tell you to make a directory first. DOH! You have to have a mount point.

mkdir /mnt/pen

Then add this to your fstab:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/pen auto defaults,noauto,users,sync,rw 0 0

The first mention of auto should cover all file systems, that way you don't have to specify fat32, vfat, etc. But you can certainly try different file system types.

Trying it this way again too.
    mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/pen

Is your USB hub 1.10 or 2.0? This will have a bearing as to which driver needs to load.

You could also post the results of

sg_scan <--this will list all SCSI devices

&

sg_map<--this will determine the real identity of the SCSI devices.

USB mass storage devices are seen as just another SCSI drive. So are CD-R's. If you have a cd burner in your machine then your pen drive wouldn't be /dev/sda it would have to be at least /dev/sdb.

Post this too:

lsmod

I can get a full refund for this pen drive, should i take it back to the store or should I wait and continue trying?
    Don't loose the chance to get a refund on my account! How long can you keep it before it has to be returned?

Hey, thanks for your interest in helping me!!

I can get a full refund until March, 25th. Anyway this pendrive was so cheap I doubt i take the pain to go there for my money back

Sure, I mkdir to create a mount point /mnt/pen, and tried with 'auto'. I just been home where i tried #mount -t usbfs /dev/sda1 /mount/pen . Funny the pendrive gets mounted! but instead of showing actual content (some jpgs and pngs) I see a couple of text files 'drivers' and 'devices' containing misc. manufacturer and device data ¿? There's also a 0001 folder with four files in it named 0001 to 0004 with indescipherable content (at least i cannot decipher it).

I'm at work now and will be travelling out until March, 24th so i cannot post lsmod results or anyother thing until then, but stubborn as i am I won't stop until i get it workin.

Too funny i've brough my knoopix CD to my office , and tried it in various PCs. The pen drive works everywhere but in my home PC, always using the same knoppix CD.

If your drive is mounted then in /proc/bus/usb you should see two files 'devices' & 'drivers' and they should not be empty.

#mount -t usbfs /dev/sda1 /mount/pen
    Have you tried changing the file system you are trying to mount-just a guess. That is:

#mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mount/pen
    It probably wouldn't mount if you told it the wrong file type eh?
    I've never had a pen drive but it really doesn't matter so much what it is as long as you are using the USB mass-storage driver.

I've tried loading kernel modules: sg (for SCSI generic control) and some usb related, like usb-ohci and usb-uhci (which purpose, beeing a clueless linux newbie with a poor understanding of english, don't really grasp). usb-ohci fails to load, while in my laptop, it gets loaded automatically at boot time.
    The usb-ohci is for USB 1.1 and the usb-uhci is for USB 2.0. When you look at dmesg look at how it tries to load different USB drivers but will find 'no device uses' said driver. It should successfully load the mass storage driver. lsmod will tell you which drivers loaded and if they are in use. You should ALWAYS see usb-core (nothing works without it)and then either, 'ohci' or 'uhci' and the mass-storage driver. Make sense?

So what is your PC - does it havs USB 2.0? IF so it will only need the usb-uhci.
    Does it have a cd burner? If it does you will need to mount the next scsi device /dev/sdb1 That is where sg_scan comes in. It will tell you what scsi devices you have.

Good luck.

a clueless linux newbie with a poor understanding of english
    English seems ok to me.

ok. Now about my system. It's and old P3 500 MHz with two hard drives (hda & hdb) a DVD and a CDRW unit. I don't think it has USB 2, and i wasn't even sure it had USB at all until I checked :)

I thought i have posted it already but it doesn't hurt to insist. When i try to mount using vfat or auto filesystem, i get:

modprobe: can't locate module block-major-8
    mount: /dev/sda1 isn't a valid device
    (in fact it says : "/dev/sda1 no es un dispositivo válido", so it may differ slightly in english)

definitely i have usb-storage module loaded. I don't know for sure but i think i tried to mount /dev/sda1, sda2, sda3 ... and also sdb1, sdc1 sdd1... just in case , my PC has two USB slots and i didn't know how the system would name each one ^^

ok.. counting the minutes to go for my holiday week, so I won't post for a while. I know you'll be there when i get back looking for a little more of help. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Brite
    hard drives (hda & hdb) a DVD and a CDRW unit.
    hard drives
    -hda
    -hdb

DVD
    -hdc

CDRW
    -sda

USB PEN DRIVE
    -sdb

Linux sees CDRW as a SCSI device (actually it runs under emulation). At any rate it would be your first SCSI drive so your USB device would be sdb.

Have a good holiday.

Junior Member registered user

rickenbacherus, please help!

I have the exact same problem with my SOYO Cigar Thumb drive, it's a 64MB piece. My system picks up the drive but I don't think it loads the driver for it. If I cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers/0.. or /1.., it shows that the drive is indeed detected.. but system does not translate from there to a "sda" or "sdb" device. How do I go about manually mounting or translating from there to a "sda" or "sdb" device?

I have tried 'echo "add single-device 0 0 1 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi' to no avail. Please advise on correct usage. Normally if driver is loaded for a device, specifically an emulated device, you can 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' and it would list all devices loaded, including any cd-rom drives.

what does

lsmod

tell you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast