Thread: Where has everyone gone?

Junior Member registered user

Where has everyone gone?

Seems to me like the action has really slowed down here. Where has everyone gone? Is there another hot new distro? Or is it just summertime and everybody's waiting for the next Knoppix?

Senior Member registered user
    Well it's been quite busy here. I don't think the number of posts has slowed down at all. The last Knoppix release was the 5-17 version. I expect a new version should be released soon.

Me, has been around, more or less "lurking", since this past weekend ( the 4th. ) I was installing the new version of Knoppix ( v3.4 ) to my hard drive... ( mostly been trying to get it working, the 2.6.6 kernel is a "mite" bit different than what I had with v3.3

Now all I need is the "little" details on configuration...
    Ms. Cuddles

Ditto for me. I been busy trying to figure out how to install a pure Debian install from a knoppix cd/sarge netinstall cd. Did manage to get it installed but wiped it out cuz it wasn't as "perfect" as knoppix. I could have forged ahead and fixed the little configuration issues but since i've wasted nearly two weeks on this, I've broken down and went back to re-intstalling from the knoppix cd. Personally, I'm going to have to attack a pure debian install at some point in the future, but not right now. Anyhow, that's why I haven't been nearly as active recently as previous months.

Durand

pure(?) debian

durand,
    I found kanotix to be the easiest pure deb install.

Just like knoppix except it has the init scripts etc.

its just got the 06 release with kernel 2.6 so why not try it.
    the first thing I do after an install is remove unstable sources but leave testing.

If you need to update KDE then openoffice-de-en needed to be uninstalled first but havnt checked recently.

other than that its as easy as knoppix to install but less livecd parts hanging over.

Member registered user

Re: Where has everyone gone?

Quote Originally Posted by hardware_bum
    Seems to me like the action has really slowed down here. Where has everyone gone? Is there another hot new distro? Or is it just summertime and everybody's waiting for the next Knoppix?
    I've been wondering the same thing.. I now spend a lot of time at Gentoo - http://forums.gentoo.org/index.php - the page hit rates on distrowatch for Knoppix and Gentoo are similar, but forum activity is like night & day..

mvh

Member registered user

Re: Where has everyone gone?

Quote Originally Posted by hardware_bum
    I suspect vacations, the holiday (in the US) and the general malaise that falls over people inthe summer time - all wishing we were outside laying in a hammock sipping mint julips

to be honest i sit on te lawn with my laptop surfing. sadly my trusted old friend compaq 5150 had some hdd failure (grinding metalic sound) im now bound to either sit here om my other box (wores and crt...) OR be outside. as summer here in northern Sweden is short i chose the outdoors.
    a new hdd is on its way so i am eagerly waiting.