Thread: Edit, Schmedit

Edit, Schmedit

I'm using a small scale Knoppix derivative and am having a problem getting a timely answer to a question I raised on their forum. I thought I might get some help here.

The question pertains to the use of the CD while operating in RAM; it is not a hard disk installation question. Put simply, I'd like to edit /etc/profile to change some of the ANSI color sequences used for the prompt. Using nano, I can access the file but can't edit it and this is so even after running su -. What's happening here, I mean the whole thing is in RAM and will revert to default when I reboot. Why can't I edit this file, anyone know?

Senior Member registered user
    What error message are you getting? My guess is that even though it is in RAM, the system has mounted itself 'read only' so you would first have to change the read only setting before you could edit it.

Hi CrashedAgain,

Was able to get the question resolved on the derivative distro's forum. As it turns out, it is necessary to remove the /etc/profile's symlink with:

rm /etc/profile

followed by entering "yes" when you're prompted for an answer. Next, copy as follows:

cp /KNOPPIX/etc/profile /etc/profile.

Bring up /etc/profile in an editor and edit to your heart's content.

A search brings evidence of similar questions here on the KNOPPIX forum which are answered in the same way as above. I happened to see them just as my question was addresses on the other forum. Many thanks for your taking the time to reply.

jlowell

Similar Threads

1. How do you edit lilo?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 04:00 PM
  2. linuxrc: how to edit?
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
  3. Trying to edit file onn hdd.
    By CyberInzane in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt