Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: many printers broke in knoppix 3.4+?

Junior Member registered user

Still broke in 3.6

I put a query somewhere in the forum last week regarding my Epson C70 on Kx3.6, having just changed from 3.3 - can't find it now - no reply anyway - now at least I know what the problem is - whoever put the sticky bit on this thread, thank you - It did not come back on a query on printer problems, last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html has some recommendations at least concerning brands. I bought a Samsung ML-1750 el cheapo laser and at least on kanotix BH5 it worked right out of the box. Paid a little extra to get a model with PCL6, IBM ProPrinter and Epson printer languages, the cheaper ones had Samsungs own language with which you might get trouble. Although Samsung is one of the manufacturers who make linux drivers.
    Yeah, I read that. It's a fact that comments about printers made by users don't always agree with site's suggestions. I'd like to buy a Samsung ML-1750, too, but only if I'm 100% sure it will work, because I know resellers will surely reject to retire that if my only trouble is "it doesn't work with Linux", and they won't give me warranties for it to work before I buy as well, nor they will let me have some tests with a Knoppix CD.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerCube
    I'd like to buy a Samsung ML-1750, too, but only if I'm 100% sure it will work, because I know resellers will surely reject to retire that if my only trouble is "it doesn't work with Linux", and they won't give me warranties for it to work before I buy as well, nor they will let me have some tests with a Knoppix CD.
    I just tested it with Knoppix 3.7 and it worked just fine with ParPort, CUPS and Foomatic/hpijs driver with both 300x300 and 600x600 DPI, IOW the same setup I use with my hd installed Kanotix.
    As a sidenote, it doesn't seem to work with the recommended pxlmono driver.

Senior Member registered user
    probono: can't you install the driver from the 3.3 distro with the 3.6 (or 3.7) distro?

HI. I am working with Knoppix 3.6, HD install. I installed my printer, an Epson stylus color 670, within CUPS. At this point I got no errors, so I suppose that all is OK. The printer is connected via an USB port.

But when I try to print... NO NOTHING outputs from the printer, even the test page. A message says that the page was printed successfully, but really the printer does nothing - it even does not try to load the sheet

What I am doing wrong?

Senior Member registered user
    Nic MFP: Perhaps everything is sitting in a printer-queue, and when set up correctly, you get document over document, months old

Is the cups-server running?
    Code:
    ps -C cupsd
    If not, start 'em:
    Code:
    cupsd
    If yes, go to the web-configuration:

Code:
    http://localhost:631/
    Browse a little...

Nothing to do: it does not work

CUPSD is running, as expected. But trying http://localhost:631 gives the following error:
    Code:
    internal error - server connection terminated
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Description: internal error - server connection terminated 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Moreover, there must be something else wrong, because if I try to launch any Epson tool (like the head cleaning job, the ink level meter, and so on) I get the following error message:
    Code:
    The executable escputil was not found in your PATH.
    Make sure that gimp-print is correctly installed and that escputil is in your PATH
    By the way, while reinstalling for the n-th time the printer, I tried out all of the available drivers. No one works, but one of them, only one, if I press the "Test driver" button, makes the printer to load and immediately eject a sheet. The printer still does not attempt to print anything.

And that's all, because if I choose the "Test printer" command, even with this driver, no nothing happens.

Any other ideas?

Have you installed cupsys-driver-gimpprint, cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data, ijsgimpprint and libgimpprint1?

I suppose yes, because I performed a normal Knoppix HD install.

Well, you can check with: COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l|grep gimpprint
    If they're not installed do:
    dselect update
    apt-get install cupsys-driver-gimpprint cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data ijsgimpprint libgimpprint1 -s (remove -s for simulation if it looks ok)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast