Thread: unable to view/access my win98se(fat32) partitions

Hybrid View

unable to view/access my win98se(fat32) partitions

hi,
    i am a newbiee in the world of linux but like knoppix so much that i decided to install it on my hd. the problems rise from here only, i am having a 2.4 ghz prossesor with intel 845gvad2 motherboard and 256mb of DDR RAM with two harddisks(40 gb samsung &4gb seagate) so i installed knoppix on my smaller hd with a 256mb swap and the rest as ext2.
    1. After many & i was able to install knoppix on it with lilo but after bios data check each time i got a message :-
    you passed an undefined mode no press [return] to see available mode
    press space to continue or wait 30 secs. i am using a samsung 17" syncmaster 753s.
    2.further more my linux partitionn remains read-only even after mount command when i login as user and is read-write as root after using mount command(also with sudo when as user)

i have 5 partition of fat32
    3. After login i was unable to found my fat32 partitions from my second drive.
    when running fdisk-l i got
    disk /dev/hdc:4327mb
    Device Boot ID System
    /dev/hdc1 * 83 linux
    /dev/hdc2 82 linux swap

Partition table entries are not in disk order

disk /dev/hda:40.0gb
    Device Boot ID System
    /dev/hda1 * b w95fat32
    /dev/hda2 f w95 ext'd(LBA)
    /dev/hda5 b w95fat32
    /dev/hda6 b w95fat32
    /dev/hda7 b w95fat32
    /dev/hda8 b w95fat32

any help is welcomed
    Thanks in advance

Member registered user

Re: unable to view/access my win98se(fat32) partitions

Quote Originally Posted by a2ilindia
    hi,
    i am a newbiee in the world of linux but like knoppix so much that i decided to install it on my hd. the problems rise from here only, i am having a 2.4 ghz prossesor with intel 845gvad2 motherboard and 256mb of DDR RAM with two harddisks(40 gb samsung &4gb seagate) so i installed knoppix on my smaller hd with a 256mb swap and the rest as ext2.
    1. After many & i was able to install knoppix on it with lilo but after bios data check each time i got a message :-
    press space to continue or wait 30 secs. i am using a samsung 17" syncmaster 753s.
    2.further more my linux partitionn remains read-only even after mount command when i login as user and is read-write as root after using mount command(also with sudo when as user)
    I have a nvidia graphis card with tv-out. When the tv-out cable is plugged in i get the same message. If i unplug the tv-out cable the message disapers!
    Perhaps this is the problem!

i have 5 partition of fat32
    3. After login i was unable to found my fat32 partitions from my second drive.
    when running fdisk-l i got
    disk /dev/hdc:4327mb
    Device Boot ID System
    /dev/hdc1 * 83 linux
    /dev/hdc2 82 linux swap

Partition table entries are not in disk order

disk /dev/hda:40.0gb
    Device Boot ID System
    /dev/hda1 * b w95fat32
    /dev/hda2 f w95 ext'd(LBA)
    /dev/hda5 b w95fat32
    /dev/hda6 b w95fat32
    /dev/hda7 b w95fat32
    /dev/hda8 b w95fat32

any help is welcomed
    Thanks in advance
    I asume that the problem is that for some reason there's not created a proper /etc/fstab file.
    (Perhaps hda was unpluged when you installed knoppix.)

For eatch partition you have to create a line in /etc/fstab witch looks like this:
    Code:
    #Partition		#Mountpoint	#Filesystem	#Options
    /dev/hda1		/mnt/hda1		vfat			noauto,users,exec,umask=000	0	0
    Exept for /devhda2 because it's the contanor for hda5 to hda8
    So hda3 would look like this:
    Code:
    /dev/hda3		/mnt/hda3		vfat			noauto,users,exec,umask=000	0	0
    As you can see you only have to change the partition and the mount point.
    The mount point is a dictory, and that must exist, else mounting fails!

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you Gozar for your reply
    it is right that hda 1 was unpluged during the installation of knoppix(3.3) and thank u again for telling such an easy solution(yet to work on them) but i have two more problems
    2.further more my linux partitionn remains read-only even after mount command when i login as user and is read-write as root after using mount command(also with sudo when as user).

can you help in this or anyone else will help a newbie

Member registered user

Re: help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by a2ilindia
    thank you Gozar for your reply
    it is right that hda 1 was unpluged during the installation of knoppix(3.3) and thank u again for telling such an easy solution(yet to work on them) but i have two more problems
    What Graphis card do you have?
    2.further more my linux partitionn remains read-only even after mount command when i login as user and is read-write as root after using mount command(also with sudo when as user).

can you help in this or anyone else will help a newbie
    What are you trying to do exacley?

Normal users on a system usaely only have write access to there home directory. /home/username
    This is to protect the system, so useres can't delete system files
    You can change rightes to a file or dictory with the command chmod and change ownership with chown[/b]

hi gozar,
    thank ones again for giving attention
    I have an Intel D845GVAD2 motherboard with integrated graphics and no other graphic card but i do have an pinnacle tvtuner card but that is also not in use nowadays

I am not trying to do something indifferent but i do want read-write access on my linux partition as user knoppix,till now i am able to write on my hard disk only when i login as root and that to after using the remount command each time but i want to have read-write access on my hard disk so as i can normally work in knoppix as i do in windows(creating files,directories saving my work on it). i am able to read but am unable even to create a file on disk and want your help doing it.

Member registered user
    About your graphis card i'm afraid i cant help you.

About your other problem. I can't help you if you are telling that you are douing sort of this, and sort of that! I need to know exactley what you are trying to do. I can't magciley read your mind ang guess hvad you are trying to do. So more information is needed.