Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix on dvd

Knoppix on dvd

This is going in the other direction of most people but I wanted to try it I haven't added much to it yet just distcc, blender and wings3d.

I burnt the image onto a dvd-rw and booted it on a laptop and everything works fine, now to start adding some big things like my 2 gig Unreal Tournament folder and see what the speed is like.

Anybody else try Knoppix on dvd?

Martin

Member registered user

DVD

Sounds like a great idea!!! There are alot of big stuff, flightgear map of the world....

That would be a great iso to put somewhere.

Bill

Senior Member registered user
    I suggested this to Klauss several months ago and he said it would run too slow!

Regards,

I will keep adding to it and see what the speed is like so far its okay just a lag as the disk spins up.

I want to put some games like Unreal Tournament Demo but I would need nvidia acceleration and doing a search it doesn't look like its being done.

Any other suggestions for adding to it, big programs that won't fit on a cdrom.

Martin

Knoppix on DVD

I saw your post about Knoppix on DVD and REALLY want to get a clue how you did it. I have the small (80mm) 1.45Gb disks in my drawer and want to be able to get Knoppix onto one of them. I know it won't be as easy as burning a CD, but I am able to burn regular DVD's in WinXP. Any ideas for me?

Junior Member registered user

Blender! yea baby

Blender! yea baby

I created the image using the remastering how-to then I burned the image using dvd-decrypter under xp.

Dvd-decrypter is a great free program that will work when Nero won't to the job.

My later attemps using a larger compressed file system failed, I have to do some more testing to see if something got corrupted or if there is a size limit on the compressed file system.

I wonder if its possible to have more than one compressed file system on a disk and mount them seperately.

Martin

Senior Member registered user
    The bigger the image will get indeed,the slower it will get.
    Isn't it possible to create then multiple img files and mount them seperately to accelerate it ?
    I think by wisely deviding them (ex. each big game an img file) wouldn't it
    accelerate things a little ?
    Nevertheless using DVD's I think wouldn't demand a considerable amount of memory (read ramdisk ) extra to load the game.
    In case of that extra memory maybe create more then 1 ramdisk ? A part for the system and a part for large gamefiles ?
    Or is there maybe a trick on creating extra buffermemory for the DVD player ?
    I think we'll have to wait for the new ATA standard.
    Greetings,

Knoppix on DVD

It works! I have my Knoppix 3.2 on a 1.45Gb 8cm mini DVD. I couldn't get the DVD-RAM to work with DVD-Decryptor though. Is there a problem with DVD-RAM and DVD-Decryptor. I checked their site and there doesn't seem to be any info about it.

Cool, I don't know about dvd-ram I have been using dvd-rw's to play with this and they work fine.

Next I want to get the nvidia drivers working so I can try some games on it.

Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast