Thread: Convert Outlook .pst mail files for use with Linux

Senior Member registered user

Convert Outlook .pst mail files for use with Linux

Just in case anyone wants to migrate his e-mail from Outlook to Knoppix and doesn't know how:

ReadPST is an application that can take a Microsoft Outlook PST (Personal Folders) file and convert it into mbox, kmail, its own recursive format, or separate each email into its own file.

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/readpst

Oh, where were you when I needed you most ????

I've scrapped so many "outlook" folders and such, in two hard drive installs, so far... I basically just re-created them from scratch - luckily, on the last install - v3.3 to v3.4 - I just exported everything, and then inported - mostly my "contacts" and "address book"...

This "trick" you suggest would have been good when I "converted" from Win98 to Knoppix v3.3 - in which case, I just considered my "old mail" lost -=- or with the "backup" system, I just re-emailed myself in the old system, and recvd the mail into my Knoppix KMail - would have (probably) been easier using your suggestion though.

[mental note] Flag this download.

Ms. Cuddles

Junior Member registered user
    I used to try readPST when I had to convert from Outlook to Evolution, but it was quite unstable, especially when faced to nested folders. But I can't remember which version I was using, so perhaps this one is more reliable.
    Outport, too, is kind of a mess, in that it doesn't import attachments and loses lots of settings/format; moreover, it comes into trouble when Outlook security issues urge it to close connection as it exceeds some time limits.
    Anyway, since I eventually migrated to Mozilla as mail client, using it (Windows sided) to convert from PST and simply copying folders into Linux-sided one is easy; I must admit I'm experiencing some troubles from versions past 1.6 (to import data I often have to make some tries before I get it to work; matter of permissions ), but in the end it sounds like being the best choice.

Try Thunderbird!!

Thunderbird the new email program does a great job of importing your email, and your email folders. The interface is suspiciously like Outlook so it is easy to adapt to.

Available in Windows and Linux flavors.

sakiZ

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Try Thunderbird!!

Quote Originally Posted by sakiZ
    ....The interface is suspiciously like Outlook so it is easy to adapt to.
    That's funny, I'm having a hell of a time adapting to it. Don't like it one bit. In fact, although I was hoping to move everything to Thunderbird, I may not be able to because of the interface.

To be honest, I have never used Outlook though, so I may not have you advantage of knowing just how bad a mail program can be. But I have used some bad ones. But just being like Outlook does not make an Iinterface easy to adapt to for everyone.

Actually, Thunderbird's interface looks suspiciously like....Mozilla Mail's interface (gee, wonder why that is). It only resembles Outlook's email component (Outlook does a whole lot more than just email).

For the record, I think Outlook is a pretty good email client. (Yes, you read that right.) It may not be terribly intuitive, but neither are the other Windows clients I've tried (Pegasus and Eudora). And at least it doesn't have windows popping up and floating all over the place. (MDIs? Barf.)

But -- it's time to take it to the next level and import my Outlook email into Thunderbird on Linux (so that I will no longer have to boot into Windows to get to my main email account). So far, it looks like I'm going to have to take the tedious step of installing Thunderbird for Windows, importing my Outlook mail into Thunderbird/Win, and then copying that mail to Thunderbird/Linux.

It'd be very nice if the Thunderbird developers put the same Outlook import function into the Linux version that they put into the Windows version.

To tell you the truth, all of my e-mail accounts have web interfaces anyway, and the free ones (e.g., mail.com and gmail) are incapable of importation into T-bird unless I pay for the privilege. So, although I use T-bird for some of my accounts, neither it nor any other mail program is terribly necessary to me.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    ...... and the free ones (e.g., mail.com and gmail) are incapable of importation into T-bird unless I pay for the privilege.......
    Gmail now has POP support (has for many weeks). Click on settings, then see the "Forwarding and POP" tab.

Well, that wasn't too hard -- install TBird for Windows, import Outlook email, copy folders from Windows to Linux, reset permissions. It all seems to be there. Would have been nice to be able to save a step, but, oh well.

You're right, Thunderbird does bear quite a resemblance to Outlook, down to the color scheme. (Mozilla Mail is kind of a drab blue-gray.)

Maybe it's all about what you're used to, but I really prefer having a local email client that grabs all the email off the server. Web-based interfaces tend to show you a lot of advertising and don't have as many features as local clients, and you're trusting someone, somewhere, to store your email for you over the long term. (Yes, I'm trusting my ISP to store it for me, too, but I try to download it every day.)

There ya go.

You did it exactly right. Get Thunderbird for Windows first.

Hey, now you can delete your Adress Book.wab file.

Ultra secure email.

sakiZ