Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: event sounds not working

Senior Member registered user

sound notifications working

I tried using ARTSPLAY as external player and that solved the problem

My sound notifications are working now....thanks for advice all.....I wanted to use the startup & shutdown sound files "initiating startup sequence / initiating shutdown sequence". I found them on a website and put them in my /usr/share/sounds directory. What i noticed is, on shutdown, knoppix doesnt let the "initiating shutdown sequence" file play in its entirety. It only plays up to "initiating..." and cuts off.....maybe shutdown sound event files have to be small. I could edit the file to say only "shutdown". well i am glad the sounds are working....bob58

CrashedAgain,

Here is what I have gotten from all of this, from what I have heard, to what I have found...

Arts - old sound system for Linux - outdated, and not much "functionality", it also, isn't very "new" to the technology that is currently needed for playing "serious" sound setups....

ALSA - "new" "defacto" - trying to be "default" - sound system for Linux - only, it still has a lot to go before it could "just be set with a activation button in KControl" kinda thing. With ALSA, you can "configure" serious sound settings, like 5.1 speaker outputs, major "mixer" configurations... In my own words, ALSA is to Arts, as, say a "SoundBlaster (top of the line)" is to a "AdLib" sound card that (barely) gives you more than a better system speaker sound...

Add into the above, one more detail - some of the more "serious" sound editting/creation packages that are coming out, will not function unless you have ALSA running - these programs will refuse to run, with a probable error stating "no sound found" - even if you have Arts running and functioning...

Currently -=- ALSA is not as "user-friendly" as Arts is, and requires some serious "playing with" to get it to work, most of the time, "requiring" kernel source compiling to get it to even start, and a lot of CLI work to get it configured, which was my case with kernel 2.6.6 and v3.4 - but it runs great if you just run the "cheatcode" off the CD, and don't install it to the hard drive. My previous "trick" on v3.3 was to use the "cheatcode" alsa on the CD, then run the hdinstall - in that version it worked, but, alas, in v3.4 this "trick" doesn't work...

So, from what I hear, and the thoughts that came with it - go with ALSA, if you can get it working - Someday, from what I feel, way down the road, Arts is going "bye-bye", and ALSA will be the only thing for sound on Linux. Considering the amount of "work" it takes to get ALSA working, let alone, getting it to actually "play" sound, this "road" may be a way bit off -=- Who knows, by the time ALSA is ready to be included as the "default" sound system for Linux, and Arts is no longer provided, they might have "another" sound system theory in the "back-burner" by then -=- and, hopefully, it is easier and more friendly than ALSA is, at least at this point. [?]

Hopefully, this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Ahem, I'm far from an expert in sound for linux but I believe OSS is the old soundsystem which is becoming replaced by ALSA. ARTS is KDE's mixer that runs on top of the soundsystem, so if you want better compatibility I'd go for pure alsa and not arts+alsa.

DOH!

Thanks Markus, I didn't even realize that it used the "front-end" name, vs. the "back-end" - you got me.... OSS - so... do the following in my (long) previous post...

Code:
    ~$ search --replace --global --ignorecase arts oss
    Thanks again for pointing out that I am not a perfect geekette,
    Ms. Cuddles

Don't worry about it Cuddles. I've certainly made my fair share of mistakes here
    Might as well see if I'll manage another one so here goes:

Between the kernel and the soundcard you have either OSS or ALSA. One or the other can also be compiled into the kernel but not both at the same time, which is why it's better to use modules if you're not sure which one you're going to use.
    OSS is as said the older one and being more simple, easier to setup. If you want something newer for instance for MIDI you need ALSA which again as more versatile is more difficult to setup.
    A lot of older programs are made for OSS and that's why ALSA comes with OSS emulation.
    KDE uses ARTS as a way to give sound to many programs without them talking to the ALSA driver directly and possibly borking it with simultaneous requests, and just to make it more complicated, if you have GNOME you can use ESD (ARTS equivalent) but don't have to .
    This is also why you have to choose different external players for your KDE system notifications according to your sound setup. I'm running ALSA without ARTS so I have aplay as the external player.

Also, from what I understand, aRts uses software mixing, whereas alsa utilizes the mixer capabilities of your soundcard. I think this is why aRts often tends to take up alot of your cpu. I imagine this is also part of why alsa sounds better for most people.

Re: sound notifications working

Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    I tried using ARTSPLAY as external player and that solved the problem

My sound notifications are working now....thanks for advice all.....I wanted to use the startup & shutdown sound files "initiating startup sequence / initiating shutdown sequence". I found them on a website and put them in my /usr/share/sounds directory. What i noticed is, on shutdown, knoppix doesnt let the "initiating shutdown sequence" file play in its entirety. It only plays up to "initiating..." and cuts off.....maybe shutdown sound event files have to be small. I could edit the file to say only "shutdown". well i am glad the sounds are working....bob58
    You should already have the startup/shutdown sounds.../usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg & shutdown.ogg.
    How are you calling the shutdown event sounds? Knoppix script (I forget which one & I tried but can't find it again) just uses the command 'play /usr/share/sounds/shutdown.ogg'.
    Try it...it works but you may have to kill the arts daemon first: use ps xa \ grep arts to find the process number the 'kill process number':
    root@1# ps xa | grep arts
    818 ? S 0:43 /usr/bin/artsd -F 128 -S 8192 -s 60 -m artsmessage -c drkonqi -l 3 -f
    2516 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f
    2681 pts/1 S+ 0:00 grep arts
    root@1# kill 818
    root@1# kill 2516
    root@1# play /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg
    playing /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg
    root@1#

To all the others who replied with explanations: Thanks. It's a little clearer now.
    It appears maybe you can't entirely get away from arts if using KDE, however., for instance KDE's embedded sound player 'Kaboodle' uses the arts deamon & restarts it if needed when it is called.
    I seem to remember in an earlier version of Knoppix sound files would preview play if the mouse was hovered over it in Konqueror but I can't figure out how it was done. Anybody know? (maybe I'll post this question separately)
    For what it's worth configure xmms has the following output plugin options:
    ALSA plugin
    aRTs plugin
    Disk Writer plugin
    eSound output plugin
    OSS plugin
    so it appears that here at least ALSA, OSS & aRTs are pretty much equivalent.
    If the aRTs deamon is running you MUST use tha aRTS plugin else you get a 'couldn't open audio' error. Since some KDE apps will start the aRTs daemon automatically, it appears either you can't use these apps or you are committed to arts....or maybe this is not correct either???
    Guess I'm still confused!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12