Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Kanotix version 06-2004

new Kanotix version 06-2004

Hi all:

A new version of Kanotix is out.

DL at:

ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/kanotix/KANOTI...ER-06-2004.iso

".. improved hardware detection Many new WLAN drivers including ACX100 (PCMCIA), Centrino, and Ndiswrapper to use Windows drivers. Hard disk install now uses GRUB bootloader as default. Latest Debian/Sid for the rest as usual. . ."

Bob

Junior Member registered user

KANOTIX: Captive NTFS, GRUB, 10-minute DEBIAN HD Install

Apart from having Kernel 2.6.6 and Captive NTFS support, and a full Knoppix desktop, and more besides, KANOTIX also provides a ten-minute HD installation of clean DEBIAN.

To summarize KANOTIX info:

KANOTIX BUG HUNTER 06/2004 RELEASE: This is a Linux Live CD based on KNOPPIX technology using mostly pure Debian/sid, which includes Kernel 2.6.6, ACPI and DMA enabled by default (can be disabled with acpi=off respectively nodma), i586 optimization, AVM Fritz!Card DSL support, Eagle USB DSL support, KDE 3.2.2, OpenOffice 1.1.1, Captive 1.1.5 (NTFS Read-Write), ALSA (included in kernel), GRUB boot loader for CD start - ideal for rescue in command line mode, Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool in the extra menu of the boot loader. Note the Captuve-NTFS and GRUB boot loader features. By using GRUB, I experience no live boot problems with otherwise difficult or impossible DVD/CD-ROM drives.

KANOTIX notes: "Don't try to write to NTFS partitions using the standard NTFS driver included with the kernel, as its support for writing is very lacking, thus it could destroy the partition and the data in it. There is a new Captive NTFS driver that does a better job at writing to NTFS, so use it instead. For FAT partitions you can enable write-access with the context menu (right mouse button). You may not have the rights to modify Linux partitions, use the root mode in konsole if needed. Some links are not working in the menu - that is not my fault - the packages from Debian/sid are very new and may have some little bugs, but you can always use new releases. If you find other bugs feel free to post them in the forum."

Information: http://kanotix.com/info/index.php

download: ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/kanotix/

download: http://debian.tu-bs.de/kanotix/

download: ftp://ftp.fbihome.de/linux/kanotix/KANOTIX-current/

Senior Member registered user
    It is also worthy to note that Kanotix Bug Hunter 6 does NOT have an SMP kernel.

The GRUB menu can also be used to boot existing Linux hdd installs.

Anyone have experience with grub? I've been using lilo in the mbr for my KNOPPIX hdinstall dual-boot PCs lately. How's using grub in KANOTIX different?

TIA,
    AJG

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Anyone have experience with grub? I've been using lilo in the mbr for my KNOPPIX hdinstall dual-boot PCs lately. How's using grub in KANOTIX different?

TIA,
    AJG
    grub kicks butt man!

Wanna try it out for yourself?
    apt-get install grub
    update-grub
    reboot (just to see it in action)

You'll just have to use it a bit to see why it's better. You won't go back to lilo.

im a lilo oldschool myself but the way grub has been used in kanotix is exceptional.... you can choose resolution..language and 1001 other cheatcodes straight from a GUI type ....

you gotta see it.... IMHO to appreciate it.

I am a LILOlady myself...fear grub as fear of unknown. Lilo is the only boot manager I have ever used. Would like to triple boot BH6 with my existing (and much much much LOVED main install of BH4) and the much needed W98SE for graphics for work. Anybody want to give a grub newbie pointers on how not to blow it on a harddrive install of BH6 (while keeping BH4 as default) and 98. The 98 and fat32 covers 3 partitions on primary disk. Knoppix and BH4 cover 3 partitions on secondary hard disk, each have own partition and they share the linux swap partition of that disk. I would overwrite the Knoppix with BH6. Currently Lilo manages BH4 and 98SE, knoppix I access with a floppy (as my attempts as to adding it to the boot choices were an abysmal failure )

Go ahead and install Kanotix. GRUB will automatically add all kernels (and windows partitions) it finds to /boot/grub/menu.lst.

In the unlikely event that you can't get GRUB to work corerectly you can use the Kanotix cd to boot any of your partitions too.
    Please join us in #kanotix

Here is my menu.lst

Code:
    ## ## End Default Options ##

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel
    root            (hd0,0)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro
    savedefault
    boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel  (recovery mode)
    root            (hd0,0)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro single
    savedefault
    boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7-kanotix
    root            (hd0,0)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7-kanotix root=/dev/hda1 ro
    savedefault
    boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7-kanotix (recovery mode)
    root            (hd0,0)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7-kanotix root=/dev/hda1 ro single
    savedefault
    boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7
    root            (hd0,0)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/hda1 ro
    savedefault
    boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7 (recovery mode)
    root            (hd0,0)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/hda1 ro single
    savedefault
    boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.26-1-k7
    root            (hd0,0)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-1-k7 root=/dev/hda1 ro
    initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.4.26-1-k7
    savedefault
    boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.26-1-k7 (recovery mode)
    root            (hd0,0)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-1-k7 root=/dev/hda1 ro single
    initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.4.26-1-k7
    savedefault
    boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

title           BH06
    root            (hd0,9)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6-kanotix-2 root=/dev/hda10 ro
    savedefault

Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    In the unlikely event that you can't get GRUB to work corerectly you can use the Kanotix cd to boot any of your partitions too.
    With LILO, booting an installed distro from the CD is a very simple matter, and as a result I haven't made a boot floppy in a long time. At the CD boot prompt:
    vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8 noinitrd ro
    and it hits the CD for a couple of seconds so it can find the root directory, and then boots from the hard drive as normal. (Depending on the distro, the kernel may be named vmlinuz, linux, knoppix. Use what you need.) I can do this with GRUB, but it involves editing the menu and is much more complicated.

If there is a simple way to boot a GRUB CD, I would like to know what it is. Thanks.

thanks, mzi - if that grub is that easy to boot multiple o/s's and distros might give it a shot this weekend. While downloading gnome to try out on the spare machine I can't get enough of linux's in the kanotix/knoppix family.

I think somewhere around here I have the bootdisk that I made when I installed my BH4 (which is going to be my main os for a long long time- I got everything I want on this baby and I would never want to lose it). If I can't find it pretty sure command mkboot would work. Been awhile, actually. Will figure it out or somebody want to give the old lady with short term memory loss a hint?

and kansas, I found lilo just awful trying to boot 2 linux distros and one 98 (the 2 lx on one disk and 98 on the primary). Tried several things suggested in this and another forum and never had any success. Kernel panics and much other strangeness. I gave up and stuck with Lilo to boot kanotix as default, 98 as a choice and knoppix from a floppy only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast