Thread: Success Story

Hybrid View

Junior Member registered user

Success Story

Well, I have posted several topics about problems with Knoppix, so I thought I would post a success story.

I downloaded and installed VMWare trial. I tried a couple of times to install Knoppix to a VMWare virtual machine using cfdisk to partition and then install Knoppix with no success. But, just an hour ago I used knoppix-installer to do a partition of and install to a VMWare virtual hard drive. Every thing worked perfectly! Now I can start VMWare, select Knoppix Virtual machine and boot to a hard drive installation of Knoppix. It looks just like a normal hard drive installation, but it is running on a virtual computer as a WindowsXP application. Awesome!! No actual hard drive partitioning. No loss of data. No worries about corrupting something. I am really excited about being able to run Knoppix with just a couple of mouse clicks from my WinXP desktop. And ctrl-alt-del will extract me from any Knoppix/VMWare problem back to my WinXP desktop.

Only one problem, VMWare is expensive.

jimbo

yea, that was interesting story, and I want to try something like you did, but with Connectix VirtualPC, instead of WMware...

but, I'm new to Knoppix, and I don't know how-to install it on Hard Disk ?

can you tell me shortly how you done it ? (please tell me...)

Well, I am pretty much a beginner, but here is what I did using WinXP Home as the host computer.

I created a hard drive image in VMWare, 5 GB, VMWare "standard" device support for Linux 2.4.x. This creates a blank hard drive with no partitions.

Then I put a Knoppix LiveCD in my CD rom and shut down WinXP and powered down.

Then I booted from the LiveCD into Knoppix.

Then I used Konsole and entered the command "sudo knoppix-installer".

Then I just followed the instructions to partition, format and install Knoppix. After everything was complete, I removed the Knoppix LiveCD and booted into WinXP and started VMWare. Then I just "booted" the hard drive image and presto, Knoppix on a virtual hard drive!

Good Luck, jimbo

Well, thank you very much...

But I don't understand, but have you rebooted your real PC, to install Knoppix???

I did nothing like that...

I just created a VirtualMachine, booted into it, then installed Knoppix on virtual hrda drive...

Yes, that is what I did with VMWare. Create a system image, boot Knoppix LiveCd on the image cdrom, use LiveCD Knoppix to partition and format the image hard drive and use LiveCd Knoppix to install Knoppix on the image hard drive.

What version of Connectix do you have? After your first reply, I downloaded the 45 day trial of Virtual PC from MS and installed it. Then I went through the Knoppix installation as I did with VMWare. Everything worked and I have a second installation of Knoppix on a different virtual PC.

Connectix didn't give me a choice of how big to make the hard drive on the virtual PC. It allows the largest possible but only uses what is needed and will "grow" up to the maximum. Connectix took much longer to install Knoppix. The LiveCD Knoppix had a display problem with Mozilla. But the virtual PC hard drive installation had no display problems and the interaction between WinXP and the virtual PC was a little more friendly than VMWare. And Connectix is lower cost than VMWare.

So, I guess I will do additional comparisons before making a purchase.

jimbo

hi,

id like to also do this.. im a newbie when it comes to linux and knoppix as well as vmware.. i tried using knoppix inside vmware and everything seems fine.. what i wanted to do now is to install it in the virtual hard drive inside vmware.. could you please post the specific commands/procedures you did?