Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use Linux Swap Partition at Boot?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ewangr
    FWIW, I had the swap partition but had not done a mkswap as was originally guessed. Silly me...

Per the other few comments here, I'm wondering if there is any benefit to making my swap larger to speed things up. Currently have 1 gig of the HD set to swap, but am thinking I might get better performance with 2 gig?
    Nah won't make a difference. I always try to have 1G of RAM total i.e. system RAM + swap = 1G.

Was thinking of trying the alternate desktops as well, but I gather OpenOffice will only run under KDE, and I think that's the only Linux product that will let me read/write MS Word compatible files. Would love to find out I'm wrong on this.
    Not true. OO has nothing to do w/ KDE except that they are both resource hogs.

Finally, anyone who could point me to a solution for getting my Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 (uses the Atmel chipse) recognized and working? I thought I saw that Knoppix already included this driver, but so far no luck getting the network up and running.

Thanks again for all the help!
    No promises but slh has been doing some great work w/ atmel chipset drivers for Kanotix. You'd do well to ask slh about it directly. You can usually find him on #kanotix

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Right, but you can't repartition hda1 with qtparted if you have a *.swp file in hda1.
    Never heard of swapoff?

I tried knoppix 2 on the 64MB PC and got 3.3 to boot. I could only get cfdisk to work here.

So I tried again without KNOPPIX 2. KNOPPIX wanted to setup a *.swp file, I said no. Then I could run qtparted. However, when I created the new partitions, they turned out to be only "logical" partitions, so I couldn't format them. Then knoppix-installer only found hda1, no bloody hda2, no bloody hda3.

Regards,
    AJG

PS: nodma, hmmm....
    Formatting a partition has absolutely nothing to do with whether the partition is primary or logical. Why not just backup your data on hda1? You could've been done and installed by now if not tinkering about w/ qtparted my friend.

I'm trying to help a friend with his old PC and don't want to mess with his WIN install. He has WIN98 on there with several apps and no way to reinstall them if they get lost (no install CDs). So I'd rather try a nondestructive repartition or nothing at all on that PC.

I've never had a problem with qtparted for this sort of setup. I'm wary about this old hardware if qtparted won't even repartition it properly.

BTW, yes, I know about noswap, but I was trying to get KDE to run too....

Regards,
    AJG

I'm trying to help a friend with his old PC and don't want to mess with his WIN install. He has WIN98 on there with several apps and no way to reinstall them if they get lost (no install CDs). So I'd rather try a nondestructive repartition or nothing at all on that PC.
    OOooohhhh well that complicates things doesn't it? Doesn't Knoppix have another wm you can use for partitioning purposes? icewm or fluxbox for example? qtparted will still run under icewm but you can utilize your scarce system resources for what matters instead of eye-candy. Worry about KDE when you install. Personally I would simply make a backup of everything and restore it if your resize goes south. Of course you've defragged that windows install till you're blue in the face right? Even win2k will tell you that your drive doesn't need to be defragged even though you can plainly see that it does. Well M$ standards always were below par right?

OK, I got the KNOPPIX 3.4 liveCD booting on this old PC with the nodma cheat code. Maybe we should start an internet radio show called "This Old PC?" Sorry, I couldn't resist....

With KNOPPIX 2 nodma I can only use cfdisk, a destructive partitioning tool.

With KNOPPIX vsync=60 nodma noswap I get the TWM windowmanager and qtparted runs but it only creates "virtual" partitions that cannot be formatted! Also, knoppix-installer won't run because it says the partitioning hasn't been done.

With KNOPPIX vsync=60 nodma (knoppix.swp is 128MB) I get KDE and qtparted runs but it cannot create any partitions!

Oh well, I give up on that PC. This is one for the history books. Never have I had to give up on any PC, new or old alike, when using KNOPPIX!

Regards,
    AJG

With KNOPPIX vsync=60 nodma noswap I get the TWM windowmanager and qtparted runs but it only creates "virtual" partitions that cannot be formatted.
    Can you use qtparted to shrink the existing partition then use cfdisk to make real partitions? What is a virtual partition anyway? Sorry.....never used qtparted and as it stands I still see no benefit to using it. Maybe that's just an incorrect impression of what the tool can do.

No, I tried that. Once I'm done creating partitions and exit qtparted, knoppix-installer claims no partitions other than hda1 exist. Likewise, cfdisk only sees the original 6GB hda1 WIMPdoze partition!

This is really driving me nuts. I tried to shrink hda1 to 1.5 GB. Then tried to create hda2 as a linux swap partition of 0.5 GB and hda3 as a linux ext3 partition. But when I go to format hda2 or hda3, qtparted hiccups "this is only a virtual partition and cannot be formatted," or some such error message. I never encountered this before!

BTW, qtparted is great, usually.... I've never had to use cfdisk since qtparted was included in KNOPPIX 3.3 (maybe late 3.2). You can do everything you do with cfdisk, but I never have to restore the resized partition from backup - all the original files are still there and working. I just think it saves me from hassles and wasted time.

"What's a virtual partition," I here you ask? Damned good question, I never heard of that either! I get active vs. passive partitions. I get primary vs. logical partitions. I don't get virtual partitions....

Regards,
    AJG

OK, forget virtual partitions and that old PC.

Here's another hair twister. I found this old Gateway PII 266 with 159MB RAM in my attic. Now, this puppy has a fried keyboard/mouse port card and a dead hdd.

So, I found a usb mouse and a usb keyboard. I tried the KNOPPIX 3.4 liveCD but hit the dma problem again. Note, I can't issue any cheatcodes as the usb keyboard is not recognized until after the whole boot process!

So, I tried an old KNOPPIX 3.3 liveCD that apparently has nodma set as the default. It autodetects the usb mouse fine. And it autodetects the usb keyboard after a lot of insmod probe errors. Long story short, I got this puppy up and running, on the net, et. al.

But there's still one problem: this stupid PC autosleeps no matter if you are using the thing or not in about 5 minutes and nothing I do, short of rebooting the whole mess again, wakes it up! What do I do to turn sleep off???

TIA,
    AJG

But there's still one problem: this stupid PC autosleeps no matter if you are using the thing or not in about 5 minutes and nothing I do, short of rebooting the whole mess again, wakes it up! What do I do to turn sleep off???

TIA,
    AJG
    maybe.........

xset -dpms

OR

killall apmd

OK, I'm not at home to test this, but xset -dpms and killall apmd sound promising! How about apmd stop?

BTW, do these commands have to have to be issued from a roor shell or will a regular shell do? Also, that's all well and good for me, but is there something "gui," say a kde utility that will work too. My users are not too linux savvy....

TIA,
    AJG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast