Thread: Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install

Junior Member registered user

Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install

Hi there.

I've been wondering what the main differences are between a Knoppix hard disk installation and a normal installation of Debian. One thing I've read in numerous places is the fact that Knoppix was never intended to be installed, but just for use as a live CD. That makes me wonder whether I'd be better off if I started over with regular Debian.

I can see some of the advantages of installing Knoppix (bundled software being one; the ease of installation being another), but would there be any other major advantages to me getting rid of my current Knoppix installation and installing Debian?

Bear in mind that I'm new to Linux. The reason I did a Knoppix HDD install in the first place was because it was pretty simple.

One question I have in mind is this: Knoppix managed to autodetect my hardware quite well. After installing to my hard disk the only problems I had were: monitor not working above 1280x1024, can't boot while my bluetooth dongle is plugged in, wireless network adapter not working, sound not working. If I install Debian will I find myself with loads of hardware/driver configuration to do that Knoppix has done for me?

So yeah... Any comments?

I don't know that I can be of much help here...but I'll tell you my experience, having just recently traded a knoppix-hd install for a debian one.

For me, the debian installer detected everything that knoppix did...but I'm sure that won't be true for many people. There were a few extra little issues with the Debian install, but nothing that wasn't easily fixed. To be honest, you won't really notice much difference once it's all installed. But the fact that knoppix comes with so much pre-installed is in my opinion one of debian's strengths...because you'll decide what you want to install for yourself. And you won't have a ton of stuff you'll never use in there. So you'll have a much cleaner package list and things like dist-upgrades will go much smoother. If you're on dial-up, knoppix's pre-installed packages would be great though.

If you're expecting any big difference in the Debian install you won't really find it. After all, the debian-like knoppix install is just a customized debian install. But I found the sarge-installer to be very easy to use...so if you want to try it, I'd say go for it. If it doesn't work, you can always put knoppix back on. Or you could try Kanotix...which has extra wireless drivers and such I think.

Senior Member registered user
    well, acutally there *are* differences - knoppix isnt fully debian-compattible, here and there are files that mess up things on hd-install. you'll only notice it after some time (and some upgrades) but its there. I'd go for a normal debian install, or easier, use kanotix - which aims to be debian-compattible so its well suited for a hd-install.

you might also try mephis, which is easy to use, debian-compattible (with some modifications, but as long as you keep the mephis sources in your sources list, its no problem).

Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    well, acutally there *are* differences
    Yes...there definitely are. I was just trying to point out that they're very subtle. The latest debian-installer really isn't hard though, so more people should try it...then try kanotix if they have trouble.

Senior Member registered user
    A lot of people here have recommended Kanotix for the HD install. Just read it a minute ago in another thread, and have read it several times prior.

jd