Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound card problems, please help!!!

Sound card problems, please help!!!

So i installed knoppix onto my hdd, but now it can't find the sound card. It worked when I ran it from the cd, but since being installed it doesn't work. I ran the soundcard configuration but can't get it to work. It autodetects ES1371 as my sound card but won't play the sample sound. I then look through the list and find my sound card (Creative SoundBlaster 128 PCI) but that doesn't work either. Could someone please help me.

Thanks.

Senior Member registered user

Re: Sound card problems, please help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaredhanks
    So i installed knoppix onto my hdd, but now it can't find the sound card. It worked when I ran it from the cd, but since being installed it doesn't work. I ran the soundcard configuration but can't get it to work. It autodetects ES1371 as my sound card but won't play the sample sound. I then look through the list and find my sound card (Creative SoundBlaster 128 PCI) but that doesn't work either. Could someone please help me.

Thanks.
    A few "background" questions... ( I am going on a hunch that your problem is the same as what I had problems with, hopefully )

1 ) Are you using the OSS sound, or are you trying to get ALSA working?
    2 ) What version of Knoppix are you using? ( i.e. v3.3, v3.4, etc... and if its version 3.4, which kernel; 2.4.4 or 2.6.6 ? ) try a uname -r in a Konsole window )

I was trying to get ALSA working on a Knoppix v3.4, kernel 2.6.6, and it worked fine when I used alsa cheatcode on the boot of the CD, but after I hard drive installed it, it refused to work - when I had version v3.3 with the older kernel, I could run alsa as a cheatcode on the CD boot, and after I hard drive installed it, it "inherited" alsa configured and working, fine. But this same technique doesn't work in the new version of Knoppix ( v3.4 ) anymore.

Ms. Cuddles

Here's a tip, never run the soundcard configuration program.

Okay, your Soundblaster 128 pci has an Ensoniq 1371 chipset. Lets try this in a console as root:
    Code:
    modprobe es1371
    This should load the driver for the card.

Now open an audio player and see if you get sound, if you do, add the line "es1371" to /etc/modules

If you booted with "alsa" as a cheatcode, or the first method didn't work, then try this in a console as root:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig start
    Please post your results

Ok I am running knoppix ver 3.4 with kernel 2.4.26. I tried what turbinator said to do but it didn't work. Anything else that I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Junior Member registered user
    Possible cause: volume to low...
    Run aumix or kmix and set your volume more higher.

Quote Originally Posted by legal
    Possible cause: volume to low...
    Run aumix or kmix and set your volume more higher.

I assume we are talking ALSA then, in addition to the above suggestion, ensure that your volumes are not muted. ALSA, by default, loads with ZERO on volume levels, AND muted on all channels and sound devices.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    I assume we are talking ALSA then, in addition to the above suggestion, ensure that your volumes are not muted. ALSA, by default, loads with ZERO on volume levels, AND muted on all channels and sound devices.
    Yes, this is a pain. I have to "unmute" the sound every time I boot, is there a way to fix this?

ok i ran kmix and it said alsa was not installe. how can install alsa.

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Yes, this is a pain. I have to "unmute" the sound every time I boot, is there a way to fix this?
    Yes, yes, there is... ( I knew all these months of sitting in ALSA news groups would pay-off someday )

Get your volume levels set the way you want them, preferably through alsamixer.

In a Konsole window type the following:
    Code:
    alsactl store
    Place the following in a location where it will be run each time you boot, best place is in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh -=- at the very bottom of the file:
    Code:
    alsactl restore
    Any time you change your volume, or mute status information, you will want to re-run the "store" command again...

Works great for me, I get my settings the same as I want, every time I boot, no fuss...

SIDE NOTE: not sure if you have to run these both in root, though - you might try them as user, and see if they work, if not, try them as root - I think it has to be done as root though, just not sure...

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by jaredhanks
    ok i ran kmix and it said alsa was not installe. how can install alsa.
    run /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig as root

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast