Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do the linux failures quietly fade away?

Senior Member registered user
    Oh, and when I say clicker I mean the scroll wheel down as button. That whole assembly seems to lack the tension it did have and I guess it is possible it isn't releasing properly. If I use it I tend to get freeze ups (in linux anyway)

hmm. sounds like the spring is mounted wrong. is it a Logitec, MS or?? i could likely get images of interiors for those. and in a few days likely for several other mice.

Logitech. I have a close relative of mr mouse who I used as a guinea pig to guide me putting this together again but I don't want to take it's scroll assembly apart to delve deeper into it. Afraid I will wind up with two gimpy mice. The older one doesn't have all the bells and whistles or the response time but it seems like the scroll assembly is identical. I am just going to have to open this thing up again and see if every thing is sitting as it should. I think the spring is right way in, if flipped the little hook didn't line up. So tiny and I so blind you should see me with mobo jumpers and usb header pins

heh, you should try watchmaking... interesting if you are methodical and careful.
    i will take digital image of my logitex MX500 and put on the net somewhere asap

Thanks, haven't taken it apart yet. You are brave to disect your mouse, dang that whole springy thingy is a pain. Except for the scroll tension and the scroll wheel as button, everything seems at it should be. I did take a look at the latest generation of neutered mice at Staples. Nothing that looks as nice or as feels as nice as this. Frankly though I haven't been in windows in so long to play my games, maybe it won't matter

not really. i have been trained as a precision-mecanic/instrumentmaker so small things with tight fits are not unknown to me.i have made steamengines about 40 mm high and such.
    or made my own sledgehammer and tongs for smithing... i am a "general metalworker"; smithing, welding, foundrywork, machining (both manual and CNC), electroplating... i have done some in each feild, started smithing when i was about 12Years old, that was 20+ years ago.
    EDIT
    here are the images (borowed girlfriends fotki addres)
    http://public.fotki.com/MonicaL/mus/
    /EDIT

dialup

Ms cuddles, how close is Phillips to Canada?

Its only US broadcasting regulations holding back the US WiFi broadband so a decent transmitter could be set up in Canada ...
    100 Miles line of site is possible and 50 miles fairly easy for Met Wifi.

I guess your small town doesn't fit the consumer model ....

You can also get dload speeds of 2Mbit from Satellite though you need a conventional modem...

It really is becoming true though...
    Im looking to change my ISP in europe and at the same time considering a 5MBit line from a 512Kbit ... it seems incredible I find a need for it but...

In Finland this actually works the other way around
    I ordered my ADLS as 256/256 but 6 months ago my ISP mailed me that they were upping it to 512/512 at no extra cost. Last week I got another email, they're going to up it to 1024/512. Now that's what competition should be about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Want to start a ISP company in Phillips, WI. ???? ( could be the "business" opportunity of a life-time You might even be able to retire, with all the money you'd be making )

Seriously, people here, would be lining up to sign up, if they had the "choice" - currently, the only choice people have here, is, to have it, or not, thats it... The "Phone Company" doesn't have any competition, and can do "what they want", charge what they want, drop who they want, etc... Even, mess with people's phone lines / connections, and, what can you do, nothing - they are the "only" ones who have the services.
    Well, now you got me started . . .

It was like that here, too. All you can really hope for is that the base standard will get so cheap that even the grottiest option available to them will be a quantum improvement. It was really hurting economic development here - no business other than the basic small-town storefront would open here, because of the lack of bandwidth. My wife's medical practice was doing billing and processing credit card transactions by dialing up a NetZero account each time - how professional is that? Phone company insisted they couldn't afford upgrades. Out of desparation, necessity, and the desire to spur development, the city installed a loop of 32-strand fiber around the entire city to link its own facilities (needing only one of those 32), and looking to either lease dark fiber to industry or provide full-service broadband to citizens. The phone company caught wind of it and sent their lobbyists to the state capital, shich promptly passed special legislation to prevent our city from "competing" with them for services they chose not to provide.

All this happened about ten years ago. Since then, there are still 31 dark fibers laying dormant in a nice little ring around the whole city. Obviously, the legislators were looking out for the public interest when they decided that citizens and businesses shouldn't have obscenely-fast broadband and VoIP delivered to their homes and businesses, for a small monthly fee added to the water bill, right???

Oh, well, at least my wife's office finally got DSL - about a year ago. The phone company claimed they didn't have a DSLAM close enough, and it wasn't economically feasible to install one. Did I happen to mention that my wife's office is a block away from the main switching office of the phone company, in the central business district?

jd

OMG that is sad...

I can understand this happening to a "person", or a household, or even a neighborhood, but, sheesh, a whole city ( including the businesses ) -=- that is just plain "egotistical" and "power-hungry" - a.k.a. monopoly...

So, I take it, no one has come in to offer anything "better", unless it is provided by the Phone Company, right? That is how it goes here... Cable, interent, phone, they have the complete gambit here, what they don't control, they refuse to allow someone else to do it. It's not so much they don't want to do it, it's that they won't let anyone else do it either. Hence, they have absolutely no competition, and have the whole town in there pockets - not sure about lawyers, courts, or legislature, but wouldn't doubt it ( knowing them )...

Oh well, dialup is fine, it works, for now, and I don't do ALOT of downloading, I live,
    Ms. Cuddles

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast