Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do the linux failures quietly fade away?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    I'm not going to get involved in this particular debate, except to point out that, as you know, the technology that becomes the most successful in the marketplace is not necessarily the "best" technology (although, of course, "best" is always debatable). Betamax vs. VHS, for example.
    I couldn't agree with you more, as a second example, and one that is "truely" not the "better" of the two who won: Dolby vs. DBX ( used for audio noise elimination )

Most of Dolby, and Dolby "B" noise reduction can be played without having ANY decoder, whereas, if you use DBX, the encoded sound can not be played without "noticable" sound missing, unless you have the DBX decoder. DBX is far more advanced, had more "head room", more expanded dynamic range, and, this is the kicker, absolutely no noise, period. Why did DBX lose the battle with Dolby? Because Dolby "pounded" the market, was a simple, "clonable" chip, and got into the market first. Dolby is like a tricycle, whereas, DBX is the laburdgini [sp].

Not always does the "best" ever win, more often than not, it is either the "worst" or the "less than average" that beats out what is even better than it is...

Not trying to spur a "flame war", just mentioned the facts...
    Ms. Cuddles

You're right that many Americans erroneously assume that these and others were American. I just want to make sure that you aren't employing a prejudice in assuming this to be true in my case as well.
    Actually I said taught.... :P

but in retrospect thats not accurate either....
    It is partly but largely its just the media impression...

Of course i didnt imply you thought that, neither most of you but its presented very seductively....so much so many Europeans think it is so too. (until we arrive and find it is no more or less than home overall)

The big shock is travelling to places where you dont expect to see it and seeing just how advanced they are compared to Europe/America - especially in certain areas ...

The one exception - Americans do love trucks and SUVs., and a good number of them are sold by European and Asian manufacturers.
    Yep but you have more space for em than we do!

But seriously the Big 454 V8's go on and on... sure many Japanese engines 1/4 of the size have double the power but they dont tend go and keep going!

There are a number of Amreican processor designs that are jjust as impressive as the one you cited.
    Well if they are really still designed in the US!
    I did look for the makers of some MPEG decoders but found that although the HQ is in America most of the work is done in East Asia.

However the real difference is the attitude.
    America has a lot of buying power and since Marconi has aquired tdchnology etc. (Im not saying all of it but as a general rule most of the scientists at Los Alamos were not American..... certainly not the important ones.

This is not a criticism, the flip side (the montecarlo project aside) is America is supremely sucessful at attracting technology from abroad and fostering it. Could marconi have built up in Italy or the UK ? We'll never know but the pointis America adopted him....and many others since...

anyway....
    Again, I think our beliefs are closer than you assume,
    well it was a silly post to make when I didnt have time to word it properly, it wasnt meant as it came off .....

What I was trying to say is Americans and Europeans tend to think we have the best technology or at least access to it ... but other countries have exactly the same.
    With the exception of the very poor countries but places like South Korea not only have access to the same but better due to their proximity to the Japanese market.

There are many tech gadgets in particular that are only available in Japan or have been available there for a long time but not Europe/America.

In the same way Wifi is massive in Australia - compared to Europe/US... but the real difference is the planning...
    Japan is looking at the 10GB becuase it will be state sponsored
    This would never happen in US/UK....where we cant even run railways...

(I live in France atm where the train system really rocks)

p.s aircraft wise I was more talking civil aircraft. The EFP is a joke with something like a .6 survival ratio against even dated technology like the F15...

'Make it bigger' is pretty much the european idea of the US from burgers to cars and roads.(although in our defense often in response to real statements from Americans like 'aint that quaint') ... but sometimes when I cant find my minature phone or whatever I start wondering how wise super minaturisation is!

What Windows Version Are You Running

Is it a NT based version like Windows 2000 or XP?

If so there is a real easy way to do dual boot with a utility called Bootpart. It's what the old Corel Linux used to do dual boot with.

It works with the Boot.ini menu.

I used Bootpart to access Knoppix after I installed it as a dual boot setup on my system. It is so simple to use, it places the command you want into your boot.ini file for you.

sakiZ

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345