Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the linux failures quietly fade away?

Senior Member registered user

Do the linux failures quietly fade away?

I have enjoyed linux. Second time in my long lifetime I ventured into it and I figured I got it right this time. I found knoppix and then kanotix. I had it all. I really really enjoyed myself (after a little lm sensors hump . Have been running a few months' old version of Kanotix - BH4. Upgraded everything but the kernel. Then I got itchy. Yeah, same old same old. Figured I would try the newest and greatest BH. 7a. I decided to put it on the spare partition of my linux disk.

Mistake.

I knew it before I did it. I knew grub was going to take over for my much loved (and now known) lilo. I was confident I could handle it. Oh well. That's bad, no more BH4. I cannot access it! The floppies I made for BH4 won't boot it and grub won't touch it with a ten foot pole (yes have added it to menu.lst's until I will scream). My data was backed up. I figured this might happend.

But. What I didn't count on was BH7a being unusable to me. I am a dialerupper. It looks like this revision has gone the way of one of the other live cd distros I tried. I think it was morphix. In live cd I couldn't dialup. Only damn networker options. I hd installed it and found out, gee whiz, only root can use the modem. - users just go suck an egg. I wrote the developers forum, never got a response though I did find something from an inner circler in another forum that dialup is passe' and users are no longer supported in that archane endeavor. But I merrily went on using kanotix and sometimes knoppix....they let user use the modem.

...yes, user is in the dialout group. User is in dip group. User is in just about every dang group but root. But no modem for user, no dialing up, no internet. aaaaaaargh yes, I googled till the cows came home for the last 24 hours on the problem and the only thing I ever come up with is somebody with a snotty rotten response to the dialerupper that the user has to be in the above-mentioned groups. The poster generally says they are and is never heard from again. Probably like me. There was one suggestion in here I googled of In -f/ttys0/dev/modem. No command found. That poster's prob was solved when they hd installed. No such luck for me.

For goodness sake, I cannot be the only person on a dialup in this whole wide world that is using that distro/revision. But I am not coming up with anything. Brick wall.

My windows install here is a neglected mess. It needs tender loving care. No time like the present I guess? My only other option is to reinstall BH4 from scratch. Too painful, I had upgraded everything but the kernel and you try that on a dialup. Not going through it again.

Don't fade away nish. You'll figure this junk out.

I don't know of any real suggestions to give you myself...other than to remind you that it doesn't matter what all groups you're in if /dev/modem, or whatever device connects you on dialup, belongs to the root group. And maybe one of the grub experts could help you figure out what's going on there if you post your menu.lst or something. You could also replace grub with lilo.

It's too bad you didn't make an image of your BH4 install...you could be back up quickly. I feel for you though, doing all of this on dial-up. It doesn't sound pleasant.

Most people don't multiboot with windows. With linux many want to try several flavours of the OS, and upgrade to a new kernel or whatbnot just because it's free.They happily venture into partitioning and installing boot loaders, then blame it on linux when it doesn't automagically support and guess their intented setup. See I can rant too ;-)

If your Kanotix BH4 root filesystem hasn't been touched there's no reason it wouldn't boot anymore. If you need help, post your menu.lst and the output of 'fdisk -l'. Please identify every partition in that list.

Nishtya,

First of all, long time no hear, glad to see you are still around, fellow Linux'er

Second, I have gone through ( pretty closely ) what you are, I didn't have as much trouble as you had with lm sensors, but did have to deal with a kernel compile from source for my ALSA issue, when Kano's script didn't work, and his suggestion was to gut my system and install Kanotix so I could run his script to get it working - read: sorry, but if Kano's scripts don't work in Knoppix, you need Kanotix for any support... And, lastly, my fellow DIAL-UPer, I have done a lot of this though my rusty phone wiring, and 56K dial-up line connection. I am quite sure that the phone system in Phillips, Wisconsin probably dates back to the first communication between Alexander Bell and his assistant - I think you can still hear that famous quote from Bell to his assistant still in the wires, if you listen closely, in the dial-tone.

All the horrendous apt-get updates, the installs, the downloads, all from a 56K dial-up line... Got to admit one thing though - I have yet to be disconnected with Linux from my ISP, whereas, the "back-up" system I have, that the Significant Other uses, which is running Win98, can't stay connected for more than 10 minutes before it gets kicked off-line by the ISP, or for that matter, requires a reboot every-other-hour, as well...

I guess this is like another "prediction" I had said, in another post: Very soon, CD-ROM's are going to go the way of the Do-Do, and DVD's are going to become the standard - I think we can now add the "prediction" that Dial-Up is going to be the same, shortly. Very soon, 56K is going to go away, just like the old 28K modems did, and the only thing that will be left, will be high-speed connections... T1's, Cable, DSL, or Satalite connections... Or worse, having to create a network server that uses a high-speed internet, even if your network only has one computer in it.

Shall we call this all, "progress" ??????

For some of us, me included, a small town in Wisconsin, is not going to have high-speed internet until we see the "second coming of Jesus", or the cost of living comes down so far that you don't have to be Bill Gates to afford the cost of Phone Company Monopoly that can charge exuberant fees for high-speed - at which, no one in this town can afford on the meager sallary we get paid. ( see, I can't rant as well )

So, Nishtya, are you saying that Kanotix 7a doesn't provide any support for us people who "tread on the low-end of technology" ???? I was thinking on looking into Kanotix, if it can't support my "old" technology, I guess I won't be going to Kanotix then...

Oh well, at least Knoppix v3.4 still provides us "low-end'ers" of internet connectivity, some dial-up access - still, thankfully...

Ms. Cuddles
    ( ps - I still haven't gotten my i2c working in v3.4 kernel 2.6.6 )

Thanks all of you as always for your support And ecogeek, too for emailing me - didn't get a chance to respond due to a disaster this morning.

Late last night I did get my much beloved and abused BH4 booted with grub. After a myriad of tries I ended up in desperation changing the parameter for number of kernels booted to ALL. And it booted. Not sure if that was it or one of a dozen of things I was trying practically simultaneously.

I then had a go for a few hours at getting to the modem as user. Nada, zip, outofluck. I ch modded here there and everywhere. I googled and browsed forums until late and was so shot ths morning I spilled about a quart container of coffee on my computer table, the bulk of it going into my cherished HEAVY IBM keyboard that they don't make anymore I broke my rule of never showering with a heavy keyboard (think they rust unlike the rubber dome ones nowadays) and it is drying in the tub right now. Shall see in a few days if it survived.

That was sort of the last straw in this deal. I may continue to look around for a solution to the user=no modem problem. But I can't think of where else to look or ask. I would think Knoppix would be nearly the same but I don't see much recently from people here not being able to get the modem as user. There is a knoppix script (in Kanotix) to link TTYS0 or whatever to dev/modem. I even ran that with no luck.

Hiya Cuddles - Kano's forum is not as large as this although Kano himself often answered questions in the early days and quite quickly. I did get some answers on the problem with bringing up a window when you su something now but the modem prob goes unsolved. I have googled&goggled until I can't keep my eyes open and it just leads me to believe that us dialeruppers are dying out. For goodness sake, does anyone think we WANT to be dialing up? I do not have the extra $50 a month for cable. Period. I don't even have regular cable TV, just broadcast basic it is so expensive! DSL isn't available in my area and like in the backwoods you are too, may never be until the phone company thinks they can turn a good profit. It would be just as expensive if not more so. Most have cable. Cable knows it and it is too expensive. Maybe they are making up on the computer users' backs what they have lost in TV to satellite. Afraid the end is near for dialup...

Care to tell us what you've tried so far?
    How about: chgrp dip /etc/resolv.conf

Nishtya,

You are running a hardware modem, aren't you? i.e. external -=- Right? This isn't one of those "WinModems" is it????

As for the symlink from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS0 -=- that isn't really required - its just nice to have... I can point my KPPP dialer to ttyS0 and test to see if my ( external hardware ) modem connected to serial port #1 is working - its just nice to have the /dev/modem symlink, for those icky programs that "want" to find a modem on the /dev/modem device, thats all. Until I learned to do the symlink "thing" - I ran KPPP for many months just pointing it to ttyS0, and never had a problem....

As for the keyboard, yikes, don't tell me its one of those "click-click-click" keyboards ( I used to have one of those when I lived in an apartment, and did a lot of "night owl" work - sheesh, they made so much noise, I swore that one night someone was going to pound on the wall for me to keep it down. ) -=- Yes, those "mechanical" keyboards are a dieing breed now-a-days, now all you can find is "membrane" keyboards - burned enough of them with the ol' coffee syndrome - one I burned literally - I had a lit cigarette in the ashtray, which was above my keyboard, and walked away from it just a little too long - came back to find it had burned down enough to "flip" out of the ashtray, right onto the keyboard - burned across the keys G, T, and F - me being a VB programmer - you never know how much you use those keys until they get burned.

You might try a hair dryer to speed up the drying time, low heat - and this can only be done with an old mechanical keyboard - even low-heat for a membrane keyboard can melt some of the "tender" stuff in them. If it is one of those old mechanical keyboards, you can always open them and manually dry them - used to work on the old VT100, 120, 220, and 320 keyboards ( from IBM ) - they don't have as much problems with all the little parts as the membrane ones do - worse thing I ever did, was to open a membrane keyboard - never could get all the "little" pieces back into it... Didn't really matter though, it was fried ( yes, another coffee syndrome issue )

BTW: I can't imagine that people honestly think that no one is going to be using a dial-up connection. I am quite sure that some where some one is still using a PC XT computer, some where. I've even seen old PC AT computers around - yes, those computers that run at 8 MHz - true they can't run anything new, but they still can run DOS stuff, and some of the programs these systems are using, are as dated as you can imagine -=- so, not everyone is running State-Of-The-Art machines, cutting-edge, top-of-the-line, stuff...

Oh well, I guess I'm just being nostalgic, and have become one of the "dated" people, just because I am still running a dial-up, oh well...

Ms. Cuddles

Markus, I am at work and unable to check out the list (drying in the bathroom, also got a coffee bath) of what I ch modd'd so far. For grins and kicks I did copy over my ppp options file from BH4 to BH7a and it did cure the noauth glitch for root under user but no joy for user. Will report back tonight. Your contribution looks familiar, but it gets to be blur after awhile If I haven't tried it, you bet I will. Will take me a little while tonight to get spare keyboard and mouse.

Yes, also drowned my good optical mouse this morning. It was caught in the "moat" between my gel wrist rest and the IBM heavy. I took it apart, still working and am letting it air. I just have to figure out how to put it back together. Had to take it all apart to get at the coffee between the circuit board and the optical lens' plastic plate.

Cuddles: It's a real modem. External serial. Shows up TTYS0 for root. IBM keyboard is black, heavy and fairly clicky - but it is ps2 not din. Were there any buckling spring kbs with ps2 connector? There is definitely a plate in there. I love my heavy IBM. Hope rust isn't snaking its heartless way through its guts grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Baldyeti: I full well expected I was going to have problems booting my old install & don't blame linux at all; don't ask for it to be superintuitive in that regard. I do wish developers and engineers thought about us bottom feeders in the technology pond and I posted specifics on my problems to a general linux help forum. Generally ask for technical help here now because I am running a different distro. I come to the Lounge because the folks here are great moral support as well. It is the first place I think of coming to when I need to rant or a shoulder to cry on

Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    ths morning I spilled about a quart container of coffee on my computer table, the bulk of it going into my cherished HEAVY IBM keyboard that they don't make anymore :cry:
    Ah, ah I am using one of these as well! No windows key, but who needs that? Don't want any other since years. Over 10 years ago when an ex-colleague left the company we were working at (and using said keyboards), he asked them to order one from IBM for him, and we were astonished to discover they charged (I think...) about 300€ for one of these! But they were realy built to last. A few years later I was lucky enough to find some in a second-hand shop and bought 4 of them at once for a mere 30€. Now that you made me think of it, I am rather afraid of rust as well, as the last unused one lies somwhere in the basement...

I've done a similar thing with my laptop. I was drinking milk or some such beverage while i was working on my laptop one night, when suddenly my cat came running towards me at 100mph and knocked some of the milk down onto the laptop. It got into the buttons on the touchpad. I cleaned it as good as I could, but the right-click button wasn't quite right for months after it happened. It seems to work normally now though.

Maybe I should've put my laptop into the bathtub. :P

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast