Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Knoppix Book: Knoppix Hacks by O'reilly

Member registered user
    Any idea on when this will be released? O'Reilly still says Oct. and Amazon etc... just says "Not Yet Released". Can't wait for this to come out...

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by MaldiGola
    Any idea on when this will be released? O'Reilly still says Oct. and Amazon etc... just says "Not Yet Released". Can't wait for this to come out...
    The scheduled release date is October 27. Hope you like it

Member registered user
    Thanks Greenfly! I'm already pre-ordered at Amazon. I'm hoping it will answer many of the questions I have regarding Knoppix plus lots of other cool tips and tricks.

Other new book about Knoppix

Searching for this book in amazon.co.uk I came accross another book:

Knoppix Komplete
    by Samuel Hart, Sam Hart

A little information is available here:

http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/kk.htm

That is due out in 2005. There is no details there. Anyone know anything?

Tim

Re book

Greenfly I was just reading some of the sample hacks and I may be way off here , but the stuff in the sample hacks seems to geared to the beginner level user. Is there more techinical info provided ?? Guess I am asking what user level is the book geared towards?

Member registered user

Re: Re book

Quote Originally Posted by aahicnow
    Greenfly I was just reading some of the sample hacks and I may be way off here , but the stuff in the sample hacks seems to geared to the beginner level user. Is there more techinical info provided ?? Guess I am asking what user level is the book geared towards?
    Oh cool they threw those up. Thanks for letting me know about that.

Well some of the ones they posted were a bit simpler (ie the Migrate to a New Hard Drive is probably the most technical one that is listed) but I would say that hack is in the "Intermediate" range for the book. The first couple of chapters are aimed more for beginners, the middle sysadmin chapters are aimed at Intermediate and Expert users (and yes there are more expert-level hacks in there, we just didn't list them as sample hacks). The end of the book remastering hacks are either Intermediate or Expert level.

Some of the more Expert-level hacks cover topics such as how to create your own live-install programs (Fabian wrote that one) creating emergency routers, web, file, and other servers, wardriving with Knoppix, collecting forensics data, editing the Windows registry, and a number of hacks covering software RAID.

Really I've tried to give something for everybody in the book. Beginners will have info they need to use Knoppix without being lost, experienced sysadmin will find nice tricks to save them time and do a lot of the common rescue CD tasks all from Knoppix, and even expert Knoppix users should learn things from the more advanced hacks (apparently even Klaus learned some stuff he didn't know was possible when he read it).

It'll be in stores October 27th, so if you are unsure that you want to preorder you can always flip through it in the bookstore

Member registered user
    Update: I'm trying to get a more advanced hack up there, so check the page over the next few days.

re book

Thanks for the response greenfly, I was not to sure about spending over 50.00 can on a beginners book. But from what you are saying it should be worth it.

Member registered user
    Does anyone know how to get Hack #78 to work thru a proxy server and with an ftp gateway that uses the form of: usernameofremoteserver@fqdnof mygateway ?
    This would be very helpful at my work. Especially since we require all visitors with laptops to run a full virus scan while unplugged from the network (supervised by our IT staff).

Greenfly?

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by MaldiGola
    Does anyone know how to get Hack #78 to work thru a proxy server and with an ftp gateway that uses the form of: usernameofremoteserver@fqdnof mygateway ?
    This would be very helpful at my work. Especially since we require all visitors with laptops to run a full virus scan while unplugged from the network (supervised by our IT staff).

Greenfly?
    Someone recently emailed me about this actually. This particular thread probably isn't the best place to cover this, but I'll give you a quick response based on what I told that person.

If you are behind a proxy, probably your only options are to examine the f-prot install script and see if there's a way to add proxy support to the command-line tools it uses to grab the files (I don't have it handy to search through).

Otherwise you can download it from home, and saveconfig (and be sure to save your local settings) and it will cache those f-prot files so that when you boot on a machine at work with that usb key or whatever media you saved to, you will have the files cached locally.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast