Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: default config scans on startup

Administrator Site Admin-

default config scans on startup

Is there any reason why Knoppix can't default to do the myconfig=scan or myconf=scan (or config=scan) and even the home=scan cheat codes at sart-up? This should allow one to make configuration changes and later boot Knoppix from CD without having to enter the cheat code every time. Of course, it might on occasion be nice to be able to bypass such a default, but this could be done by the cheat codes, perhaps a simple "config= ".
    Am I missing some reason why config files should take extra effort to use?

Senior Member registered user
    Sounds like a good idea. I can see two potential problems.

1. A newbie messes around with Knoppix, setting up a saved configuration, possibly even a corrupt one, and abandons her efforts. Months later, she d/ls a new version that makes a number of compatibility changes, pops the CD in, expecting it to load defaults, but it doesn't, and she can't diagnose the problem because she's forgotten about the configuration file tucked away somewhere. Some people might feel that a person who pops in a stock CD has a right to expect that it will load with all of its defaults.

2. You would have to find some way for Knoppix to recognize that the cheatcode "myconf=" always trumps the built in scan.

For the convenience, I could certainly live with both of these contingencies.

jd

Administrator Site Admin-
    An additional thought on this subject, triggered by something someone else asked in a different forum:

I would still like to see Knoppix default to searching everywhere for a persistant home directory. However, at the very least, would it not be reasonable to assume if there was a floppy or a USB device found with a persistant home directory then that should be used? OK, I can see how, just to play safe, Some people might feel that a person who pops in a stock CD has a right to expect that it will load with all of its defaults. But if someone deliberately plugs in a floppy or a USB thumb drive, then they should certainly not claim that they don't know why Knoppix finds it. Those with the home directory on the hard drive might still need to use a cheat code, but someone with a home directory on a thumb drive could just boot into Knoppix and their defaults without catching the boot process at exactly the right time and typing something in. And they could boot into the default configuration just by removing the USB drive and rebooting. Any flaw in this argument? Any idea how we get it done?

Junior Member registered user
    I would also like to see default knoppix home-scan myconfig=scan at boot.

Since I regularly use Windows, as sole user, I'm not used to waiting for a boot message. My habit is to get up and do something while the system takes forever to boot. Thus, I habitually miss the boot prompt in Knoppix. My home and config are stored in a small FAT32 partition on the hard drive (I could use a USB stick, if necessary). I use the same partition to place copies of items that I want to view with Knoppix Konqueror or Mozilla, without the need to find files elsewhere.

If someone is trying Knoppix for the first time, there will not be an existing home or config. So, how could it hurt to scan for them? When they are not found, it will not bomb Knoppix, will it? And, if there is an existing home and config from another user on the system, the only way it would be harmful would be if the other user left some private information - but that would apply to any file on the computer.

Why I use Knoppix (occasionally): I want to verify that my web site and True Type fonts will work in Linux. Also, I am told that certain peculiarities or the Safari (Mac OS-X) web browser can be seen in Konqueror.

Elsewhere on this forum, on the same topic, I read about an isolinux hex editor, for possibly changing the iso (on hard drive) and re-burning. I have not tried it. But if it works, that would be an adequate solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A.
    I would also like to see default knoppix home-scan myconfig=scan at boot.

[...]

Elsewhere on this forum, on the same topic, I read about an isolinux hex editor, for possibly changing the iso (on hard drive) and re-burning. I have not tried it. But if it works, that would be an adequate solution.
    Hi,

the reason we don't have it is mostly: security

Imagine somone "forgets" his usb stick in the drive, which happens to have some bad commands in the knoppix.sh file, as he uses it to clean up HDs.

Its just we don't want virus' to use this possible security risk.

But everything will be better in next Knoppix versions ...

isocustomize is indeed a way, though it will never be in the mainstream version of cdutils.

cu

Fabian

Ah, I can understand the security issue. By I myself have no problem there (sole user of laptop computer), and I do not do any work that needs privacy protection. In fact, my work is all on the Internet in public view.

Using only easy to find, free software, I have been able to do this:
    (1) Split the Knoppix ISO file into 14 units of 50Mb or less, so that I don't choke RAM.
    (2) Using a hex editor, edit a split file (kkeping same number of bytes). So far, I scanned for "######" and substituted a few characters, as a test.
    (3) Reassemble the split, producing an ISO file the same size as the original, but with some characters changed.
    (4) ISO-record the changed file to CD, producing a bootable CD that works perfectly. My changes do not seem to have injured anything. But my changes were not functional.

So my question is, if I want to insert "Knoppix home=scan myconfig=scan" into the ISO (using above method), where do I put it? Keep in mind that I am a Windows user, not the dumbest guy on the block, but I know nothing about Linux file structure or commands. What I am trying to do is verify that my web site works the same way in Konqueror as in IE, Firefox, Mozilla, etc. So far, there are differences (as well as differences in Safari). The differences are not trivial box-model things. Using Knoppix with Konqueror helps me see things a different way.

I have managed to change the myconfig=scan to a bootable format using the isolinx.conf changes in the boot directory.

This requires a re-burn through the mkisofs routine.

My system with the myconfig=scan included in the isolinux.conf, which does require a single keybd character entry at boot prompt, permits the myconfig=scan option along with any other desired option( in my case.... toram).

The procedure I utilized did not seem to be sensitive to the size of the .iso. This would seem reasonable since the size of the boot parameters entered at boot time is not restricted...can be quite a number of characters.

It would seem possible to enter the character I use to select boot mode..... automatically at boot prompt .

Perhaps that is what you seek.

I'll try that. I'll also try it (if possible) with whatever character code Linux uses for RETURN(ENTER) after the cheat codes, to see if I can omit the keyboard return. Low priority, obviously.

Robert .A;

The default LABEL of a single character on the keyboard, the LABEL being the LABEL for the kernel desired and the cheat codes included inserted in the isolinux.conf , operated on with mkisofs and re-burned will permit the auto-boot of your knoppixLiveCD with no entries required by the user and having all the config data and persistent home installed.

I think that is what you desired....

... Yes. I grasp the mechanics of hex editing, and can get at the necessary individual files from the iso. My only difficulty is "exactly what to type, and where."

I'm not the dumbest Windows user on the planet, but my repertoire mostly consists of (1) click, (2) right-click, and (3) double-click.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast