Thread: Weird stuff in amd64 with sata

Weird stuff in amd64 with sata

i've got an amd64 3000+ with 1gig stick of ddr3200 and WD 200 gig SATA drive

it booted from an old 2003 knoppix fine, but of course no sata was detected. so i burned thel atest knoppix 3.4 yesterday (5-17 i think) and i also burned linuxdefender 1.5.6 cebttt or something like that, well, both of them, with pretty much every boot option i try (permutations of knoppix24 knoppix26 linux26 testcd failsafe -b) either hang on "Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0" or, if they get past that stage, there is a dmesg about "VIA...SATA: blablabla" that dont look like errors, but then it spit out a ton of errors about "cloop: error -5" and "awk not found" and "total memory found: kB" .....

i'm kind of stumpted. i've an k8v se deluxe board with an onboard promise controller that can has an "ide" option along with "raid", so I selected that and tried to even install windows xp, with "f6" on the install screen and inserting the promise driver floppy, it finds the drivers on that but then does a soft reboot when i tell it to proceed....

ive had stuff like this before, and it may be a hardware error; b ut knoppix 2003 booted fine on it : (

i wi ll try to boot knoppix 3.4 on my old box see if it works...
    edit: well it boots like a charm on my old box, so it s not the cd...

but any suggesti ons for now?

Senior Member registered user

Re: Weird stuff in amd64 with sata

Quote Originally Posted by !phil
    i've got an amd64 3000+ with 1gig stick of ddr3200 and WD 200 gig SATA drive

it booted from an old 2003 knoppix fine, but of course no sata was detected. so i burned thel atest knoppix 3.4 yesterday (5-17 i think) and i also burned linuxdefender 1.5.6 cebttt or something like that, well, both of them, with pretty much every boot option i try (permutations of knoppix24 knoppix26 linux26 testcd failsafe -b) either hang on "Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0" or, if they get past that stage, there is a dmesg about "VIA...SATA: blablabla" that dont look like errors, but then it spit out a ton of errors about "cloop: error -5" and "awk not found" and "total memory found: kB" .....

i'm kind of stumpted. i've an k8v se deluxe board with an onboard promise controller that can has an "ide" option along with "raid", so I selected that and tried to even install windows xp, with "f6" on the install screen and inserting the promise driver floppy, it finds the drivers on that but then does a soft reboot when i tell it to proceed....

ive had stuff like this before, and it may be a hardware error; b ut knoppix 2003 booted fine on it : (

i wi ll try to boot knoppix 3.4 on my old box see if it works...
    edit: well it boots like a charm on my old box, so it s not the cd...

but any suggesti ons for now?
    I don't know about your SATA drive, but Knoppix does not yet support the AMD64 architecture.

well i wouldn't think that knoppix not supporting amd64 would be an issue. far as i know, amd64 seamlessly "emulates" 32bit arch -- like i said my old knoppix booted fine on it.

so i dont know what to think. is it my hardware (most likely RAM, since im getting cloop errors and it says "total memory detected: kB" (as in, none) when it is trying to -- i think -- make the ramdisk and mount the root there) ? but if its my hardware, then why does my old knoppix boot withoout a hitch... and if its knoppix, what can i do?

please, someone help :)

i want to be able to install at least *some* os, and knoppix is the first stepping stone to install any other linux since it detects hardware so well (well, not today... sniff)... or maybe someone can suggest a distro that is specially designed to boot with amd64/sata ?

also, i know this is off-topic (off-forum even) but maybe someone can give a hint as to how to install winXP ? -- i have the necessary winxp sata drivers on a floppy but it soft-reboots and i think thats because i my sata hdd is unformatted

which brings me to another point --
    when my sata/raid controller is loading up in the POST sequences, it says something of the sort:
    no device found
    bios not loaded

what could that be? :( again, maybe its a totally unformatted hdd?... if so, any pointers? please help <:) many thanks in advance...

--Phil

edit:
    i found something in the ms windows forum possibly concerning this...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsatacrux
    To whom it may concern,

As a side note to this apparent inability for

Debian,

&/or Koppix 3.4-5-17-04 w/ both the 2.4.* kernels & 2.6.6,

&/or KDE,

to find any files on this main hard drive, (maybe it really broke?)

it seems the 2.4 kernel recognizes other CD-R & RW, but not that SATA hard drive,

yet the 2.6 kernel recognizes my SATA hard drive, but still won't mount,

nor recoginze the Samsung DVD ROM /CD-R / CDRW

worse that Kb3 CD burner won't burn files

This is disappointing and I hope these issues are solved someday when a humongous massive HARDWARE recognition ENGINE program with a thorough database on old hardware configurations is designed someday.

If Knoppix isn't the best at doing that, I don't know what operating system could match it.
    i have a lite-on dvdrw/cdrw and something like a gsr-52x plain cd reader from mitsumi or LG not sure which one of those 2, well it says LG but i order mitsumi, go figure...anywaay is what kidsatacrux says true? i remember the few times i got knoppix 3.4 to load past the "looking for cdrom" stage (it either happens instantly or it doesnt -- waiting 10-20 minutes for it to crank over, as suggested elsewhere in this forum, hasnt helped me... on a 2ghz comp) the scrolling dmesges had 3 lines with "VIABLABLASATA" loading some stuff apparently successfully... so maybe my sata *is* recognized, but it cannot recognize something else -- and starts griping BIGTIME when trying too mount into RAM.... sniff

i'm kind of starting a semi-crosspost of this thread on http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=57186#57186 ... because i am starting to think it is not my hardware, but knoppix...

i am still not sure though... :(