Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.6 is here!

Junior Member registered user
    Gaaaaahh!

I admit the hardware detection in Knoppix is great.... but even this latest version "still" thinks that my soundcard is my logitech USB webcam for some reason. I have a Creative Audigy 2 on a PCI slot inside my machine, and Knoppix thinks my sound card is the webcam for some reason!!!!

Junior Member registered user
    Prometeus, I`m still downloading it...

Please: kernel 2.6.8 and kde 3.3 are add by you. Am I correct?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by fabinho
    Prometeus, I`m still downloading it...

Please: kernel 2.6.8 and kde 3.3 are add by you. Am I correct?
    Sorry. Neither are on this release. Check out the changelog.

Prometeus -- Can your remaster run in English? And where can I d/l it?

Member registered user
    Sorry download not avaliable,im testing new window manager,low memory usage, for inclusion in this iso,based in PrometeusXI

this iso avaliable with kernel 2.4.26-lck1 preemptive,low-latency enable, in
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/b...I.iso?download

Re: Knoppix 3.6 is here!

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    V3.4-2004-08-16 ("aKademy Release")
    - first release after LinuxTag 2004
    - Kernel 2.6.7 (as an option) and 2.4.27
    - memtest86+ as boot option
    - captive-ntfs update
    - FreeNX-Server package from Fabian Franz
    - hardware detection updates & fixes
    - KDE 3.2.3 (which is still more stable than 3.3 in Debian)
    - lots and lots of package updates from Debian/testing and unstable
    Whoa! Did I find an undocumented easter egg? There's an menu item that Fabian put in (KNOPPIX -> Utilities -> Install programs (from live CD)), or something like that. Looks to be similar to Klik in concept, but includes APT!! Using a poorman's install (fromhd) with PH, I was able to run apt-get update in the console (or so it appeared). Any word on the limitations of this option or how it works? After running it, I tried to save configuration, but got an error, and got another error when I tried to reboot IIRC, something about the size of the config file. Sure enough, configs.tbz had balooned to 2 MB. Is this where the programs get installed?? (I assumed they'd be installed to the PH, right?) Is there a 2MB file size limitation? Is this a function of the chosen filesystem, such that one filesystem type might be preferable to another for this? I realize there are disclaimers all over the place about the experimental nature of this script, but I am very curious if anyone can shed some light on this.

Are you lurking out there Fabian? C'mon, we need some details!!

jd

Re: Knoppix 3.6 is here!

Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Whoa! Did I find an undocumented easter egg? There's an menu item that Fabian put in (KNOPPIX -> Utilities -> Install programs (from live CD)), or something like that. Looks to be similar to Klik in concept, but includes APT!! Using a poorman's install (fromhd) with PH, I was able to run apt-get update in the console (or so it appeared). Any word on the limitations of this option or how it works? After running it, I tried to save configuration, but got an error, and got another error when I tried to reboot IIRC, something about the size of the config file. Sure enough, configs.tbz had balooned to 2 MB. Is this where the programs get installed?? (I assumed they'd be installed to the PH, right?) Is there a 2MB file size limitation? Is this a function of the chosen filesystem, such that one filesystem type might be preferable to another for this? I realize there are disclaimers all over the place about the experimental nature of this script, but I am very curious if anyone can shed some light on this.
    Well I don't think this is new, and it certainly isn't an Easter Egg (I wouldn't call it hidden, would you).
    Quote Originally Posted by /usr/sbin/knx-live-inst.sh
    # Install software while it is running from CD into home directory - useful in combination with persistent home or saved config.
    # Idea for AppDirs taken from kilk.berlios.de; thk to probono!
    APP_DIRECTORY="$HOME/Software"
    I'm not sure how the config file is impacted by this feature, perhaps you could look in the configs.tbz and see what's in there taking up the space! Is it the Desktop?

prometeus:

Hi! I'm just wondering what the prometeus isos on sf.net are all about? Is this a new project based on kurumin or something different?

TIA,
    AJG

jd:

Hi! I don't think that "klik" feature on KNOPPIX 3.6 is new. I thought I saw it there in 3.4 on the last release. However, the apt-get option is new, I think!

I just tried it with my new 3.6 CD (who's iso took forever to d/l) and got nothing really working. I tried to get tuxracer just to see how it worked. It did what looked like a huge apt-get update first, then downloaded and installed the game. The game wouldn't run though!

Then I tried to get apt-get and all seemed well. I tried to apt-get install bzflag and came up with something about an apt-get download space error....

What gives?

Regards,
    AJG

Oh, I know Klik isn't new. What's new about Klik is that it doesn't work with 3.6. Klik was around before 3.4, IIRC. Klik, as you know, gets installed from an external website. This script is built into Knoppix itself, for the first time that I'm aware. And, I don't recall hearing anything about APT in any context other than a hdinstall before 3.6 - not even rumors.

jd

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast