Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.6 is here!

Member registered user

Promise SATA support built-in!!!!!

For the first time, support for Promise SATA controllers is built into 3.6-20040816 (2.6 kernel)! I'm not sure if the support was built into the kernel (I *think* it has to be built in, versus using a module).

I've been seeking support for the Promise SATA controller in KNOPPIX kernels for about a year now. In the mean time, Gentoo has served me quite well, but it is good to know that I can fall back on KNOPPIX as needed.

-SUO

Member registered user

SATA controller

This is the first version that sees my Promise SATA controller, too. All aspects of 3.6 seem to work perfectly on all 3 of my computers. Great work!

Junior Member registered user

Burning

Okay, I just got the image last night. Burning the image now. I'm just happy that we got a new update! I just couldn't get the captive ntfs program to work right, so I'm hoping this edition will work properly.

So is my knoppix 3.4 worth for updating to 3.6?
    I use the HDD install version.
    Also i would like to know, is it same as i just update 3.4 version with apt-get update&upgrade?

So is the captive support now better? I couldn't get it work in 3.4 version. Anybody have tried yet?

Senior Member registered user
    Not in my opinion, from what I've seen so far. Many of the bugs in 3.4 appear to be unresolved in 3.6. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but I can't tell that the 3.4 buglist was consulted or referred to in preparing 3.6. For example, that captive NTFS script still plows my computer into the dirt looking for drivers, long after it's already found them, but gives no option to exit (pulling the plug is the only way to exit). WLAN detection is still wanting, as the 2.6 kernel keeps looking for the prism 2 drivers in the 2.6 directory structure, when they are in the 2.4 directory structure. There are some new on the fly live CD program installation scripts for a few programs, but not as many as Klik, and Klik apparently doesn't work any more. I haven't looked to see if Open Office still has German menus .

To me, it looks like the release focused too heavily on new development of fancy stuff, and not enough on resolving existing problems. You guys didn't hire someone from Redmond to do this release, did you?

3.6 has a lot of potential that I hope they can iron out (as with any new release - in all fairness, there are far fewer problems than with 3.4's initial release). But I'd recommend sticking with 3.4, if it works for you.

I suspect that the dual kernel thing is causing a lot of problems also (e.g., the wlan drivers). I really hope the next release will just focus on the newest kernel and dump 2.4.

jd

Good advice, jd, I never hdinstall the latest, greatest release anyway. It usually takes a few extra releases to get the bugs out anyway!

I am tempted by the FreeNX client/sever model....

Regards,
    AJG

Member registered user
    I have just downloaded and tried out v3.6 and agree with j.drake. Its seems the same bugs that were in 3.4 are still in 3.6. My sound doesn't work and it doesn't see my USB drives, etc).

I have been using Knoppix 3.6 for few days already after installing on HardDrive using Knoppix-Installer. It is just great. It came with KDE 3.2.3 though and I wish it came with KDE 3.3.x I have done apt-get for some of the latest apps. and worked flawlessly except for KDE 3.3.x. It just wouldn't work. I would like to upgrade to KDE v3.3.x. Any one has done that already? Does it work? Here is my entry in the Sources.list among others
    deb ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/kde/stable/3.3/Debian Stable main

Any idea why it didn't work?

Thanks

-Abe

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Abehome
    I have been using Knoppix 3.6 for few days already after installing on HardDrive using Knoppix-Installer. It is just great. It came with KDE 3.2.3 though and I wish it came with KDE 3.3.x I have done apt-get for some of the latest apps. and worked flawlessly except for KDE 3.3.x. It just wouldn't work. I would like to upgrade to KDE v3.3.x. Any one has done that already? Does it work? Here is my entry in the Sources.list among others
    deb ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/kde/stable/3.3/Debian Stable main

Any idea why it didn't work?

Thanks

-Abe
    If you're installing to HD, why bother with Knoppix 3.6 and just use 3.4, then apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade? Then you'd have a Debian/Knoppix installation with the lastest KDE v3.3.0 among the many other updated applications.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    I haven't looked to see if Open Office still has German menus .
    Yep, sure enough.

jd

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast