Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knoppix3.6/3.4: "Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry.

knoppix3.6/3.4: "Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry.

UPDATE; Aug 27th 5pm
    The prob is on home machine only not on office machine!

Error on bootup on a WinXP-only box from CDRom with Knoppix3.6(EN) version (also with knoppix 3.4 as the poster before me mentioned).

Exact error is:
    Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit

Also, above appears after messages about "Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda", and repeat messages for "hdc" and "hdd" {I have 2 CDRW and a single Hard disk).

Tried the following so far already that DID NOT WORK:
    1. Booted with failsafe mode, expert mode
    2. Searched and tried newsgroups and followed others' advice of "nodma" and "apapicd" boot options
    3. Tried various options including no hardware detection, etc, pretty much everything I could find help on with F2 and F3 for knoppix options

What am I missing ? HELP !
    Thanks.[/b]

Senior Member registered user
    Have you tried using the 2.6 Kernel option? Seems to work for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG
    Have you tried using the 2.6 Kernel option? Seems to work for some people.
    I think so, I think I tried linux2.6 or some option like that which is shown under F2/F3 or in cheatcodes.txt, I do not recall exactly but I will try again tonight just to be sure, along with most other 'no'xxx options individually.

Looks like only some WinXP users are experiencing this or that no 'experts' are looking at this issue ?

Meaby the cd image is faulty.

Re: knoppix3.6/3.4: "Can't find KNOPPIX file system, so

Quote Originally Posted by ennemm
    Error on bootup on a WinXP-only box from CDRom with Knoppix3.6(EN) version (also with knoppix 3.4 as the poster before me mentioned).

Exact error is:
    Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit

Also, above appears after messages about "Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda", and repeat messages for "hdc" and "hdd" {I have 2 CDRW and a single Hard disk).

Tried the following so far already that DID NOT WORK:
    1. Booted with failsafe mode, expert mode
    2. Searched and tried newsgroups and followed others' advice of "nodma" and "apapicd" boot options
    3. Tried various options including no hardware detection, etc, pretty much everything I could find help on with F2 and F3 for knoppix options

What am I missing ? HELP !
    Thanks.
    Have you successfully booted this disk on another computer? Usually (my experience anyway) when the boot process fails because of something which can be solved with 'nodma' or 'noapci' bootcodes the system just freezes during boot, you never get to the 'can't find Knoppix filesystem' error. So I suspect maybe a bad disk.

Quote Originally Posted by pulsar
    Meaby the cd image is faulty.
    When I first downloaded knoppix3.4 and it gave these errors, I did reburn the ISO image again twice at very slow rate with same errors. Then came knoppix3.6, so downloaded that only to get the same error (will again burn it slowly but doubt that will help, or that disk is bad as I usually get no coasters with my CD burner/media pack that is same since a while).

On non-linux/ non-unix (windoze only) system, is there a way to verify the checksum on the downloaded ISO file somehow ? Or can a CDR with downloaded ISO file burnt as image (or even copied as file), be verified on SunOS(Solaris) ? (I use one at work).

But again, since I get these with both knoppix3.4/3.6 ISO I am wondering what else could be wrong. I really want knoppix to work. I have not got a chance to methodically try all (most) related cheatcodes to see if I missed out on any that may have worked, though the main ones as mentioned have not rid me of the knoppix filesystem not found error.

What would really help is someone who knows the code to figure out what situations give these errors or what is it that knoppix is looking for and is absent.

Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry

I am having the same problem. And I tried the 2.6 kernel and that caused even more problems.

When I entered the cheatcode "knoppix26" it started to load and got down to:
    probing SCSI....megaraid.o SEGMENTATION FAULT
    probing SCSI....a100u2w.o

and then it froze up.

I did not download Knoppix I purchased a CD. I have a dialup connection and it would take about 60 hours for me to get it all.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be??
    [/b]

You can find out more about checking your Knoppix CD against the MD5 checksum (sounds harder than it is) in the Downloading FAQ on this web site (see question 3). For Windows, you'll have to d/l and install a small utility; it should already be there on Un*x.

Re: Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckbaker

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be??
    Apparently not yet
    Glad to know there are others including those who paid for CD with same issues. Atleast I can download again under 80 mins with fast connection but that does not seem to be the solution.

Update: I re-burnt ISO at very low 4x rate without errors but still get the same file system not found error. I also tried most combinations from cheat codes again, including, failsafe, linux26, knoppix 2, nodma, atapicd, all of no<xxxx> etc with no headway, just the same stubborn error. Tried these by themselves or sometimes in combination also, but no relief
    I do not experience any freezeup with 2.6 kernel just same error. Even with non-gui / text-only bootup.

I will download MD5 checker as eco2geek suggested just to be sure.
    But I am about to give up, atleast on CD-only version of knoppix3.6 unless some of you esteemed linux geeks have other suggestions to try.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I can run the same knoppix 3.6 CD at work on a windows2000 machine!
    So nothing wrong with the bootable CD, just the machine.
    So the question is why is the problem machine specific ? Is it expected to be ?

My office and home machine are both NFFS-only -- Anyone have tips ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast