Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing a CD With Hdd Install

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    So, in my experience, and I've done it a bunch of times, when you do a "fromhd" style poor man's install, Knoppix treats the partition you're loading it from as if it were a read-only CD-ROM. It's not a bug; it's a feature.
    That's what eco2geek said in the other topic I had on the thing. Is there a way for it to stop treating the partition as a read-only CD-ROM? Because that takes my CD-ROM drive away from me.

JD, I just tried those commands, and it said that /mnt/cdrom leads to nowhere, or something of the like. I think I might know what I'm trying to ask now. Hda1 is mounted on mount point /mnt/cdrom, how can I get it back to /mnt/hda1, and get the cdrom back to /mnt/cdrom?

Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    So, in my experience, and I've done it a bunch of times, when you do a "fromhd" style poor man's install, Knoppix treats the partition you're loading it from as if it were a read-only CD-ROM. It's not a bug; it's a feature.
    That's what eco2geek said in the other topic I had on the thing. Is there a way for it to stop treating the partition as a read-only CD-ROM? Because that takes my CD-ROM drive away from me.
    No, no, no. You misunderstood him. He said "as if it were" - that's subjunctive. Just because Knoppix creates a "virtual" cdrom drive with the "fromhd" cheatcode - that doesn't have beans to do with your real one. That's the whole point!!! The "fromhd" process PREVENTS the cdrom drive from being locked up while you run knoppix. If it didn't, there would be absolutely no point in using it (other than speed)!! If your cdrom drive configuration is jicked up, it's not because of the "fromhd", and you need to let go of that theory if you want to address the real issue. The "hd mounted to cd" theory has no merit. It is a distraction. eco2geek was trying to help you w/r/t your ability to access the hd. What he offered was in no way addressed to your use of the cdrom.

[Edit] I haven't found it to be the case that running "fromhd" locks up the entire partition where the image is installed. Now, what I HAVE found is that you cannot unmount that partition in the course of a linux session. That stands to reason, right? You can't just jerk the rug out from under your own feet. You can't remove access from the very drive that tells the computer how to remove access.[/edit]

Look, you already said that you can eject the CD. That proves conclusively that your CD is not being locked up. When Knoppix locks up the CD, you cannot even eject it.

Give me a moment to boot into Knoppix and see if maybe I'm missing something. I apologize that I cannot totally duplicate the experiment, because I wiped out all my linux files and configurations to backup a new replacement hd. I'll take a look at your other post as well.

jd

Member registered user
    Kowood, try the following from console:-

ls -la /mnt/cdrom

Did you get a no such file or directory message? You should unless you have created a mount point in /mnt yourself.

Next do the following:-

ls -la /cdrom

You should see 2 lines, one ending with 1 dot and the other with 2 dots.

Issue the following as root user:-

chmod 777 /dev/cdrom

Then type the following:-

ls -la /dev/cdrom

You will see that /dev/cdrom points to something else (eg. /dev/scd0).

Let me know what does it point to. Or you can enable everyone has read access to whatever /dev/cdrom is pointing to (eg. chmod a+r /dev/scd0).

After that try to play your movies or music cd. Try music cd first for simplicity. Again, there is no need to mount vcd, dvd or cds.

/mnt/hda1 should be your harddisk (not cdrom) and I don't think you should mount anything there yourself unless you know what you are doing.

The above are all done in a console.

JD, I just tried those commands, and it said that /mnt/cdrom leads to nowhere, or something of the like.
    Something like this?
    Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:/mnt/cdrom1 does not exist.
    That's what I got when I clicked on an empty cdrom drive (/mnt/cdrom1). When I put a CD in and repeated the process, I got a listing of files. The other cd drive (/mnt/cdrom) is running my Knoppix disk (haven't redone poor man's yet, so I'm running live CD), but it still gives a listing of the files on the disk.

I never claimed that using the mount command would get you anywhere with this problem, but you insisted upon wanting to know how to mount this or that, so I told you. I only answered the question you asked.

jd

Hda1 is mounted on mount point /mnt/cdrom
    What are you seeing that compels you to insist that this is the case? Is it because of what shows up in the address bar in Konqueror? If so, like I said before , don't get too bent up about that. I'll admit, it is a peculiarity when it happens. Knoppix is set up to be live CD, and "poor man's" is kind of a work-around. So, yes, I've seen strange things like that in the address bar of Konqueror, but don't be too concerned about that. But clearly, you're able to write to your drive.

I'm still admittedly puzzled about your inability to access your CDrom, though. Not meaning to be insulting, but do you have more than one? And have you checked both with CDs inside?

jd

Junior Member registered user
    I have discovered that on some computers it won't let you use the CD-ROM for anything when booting Knoppix. At least, I haven't found a way around it. That's how it was with my old Dell Dimensions. It had two CD drives, and when in Knoppix I couldn't use either of them. (One had the Knoppix CD in it, the other wasn't recognized). It didn't matter which drive I put the Knoppix CD in, Knoppix wouldn't recognize the other one. My only way of playing music CD's was to use a nice built-in feature on my CD burner - it had a "play" and a "skip to next song" button.
    Not that this helps solve the problem, but I guess it helps clarify that yes, this problem does exist. And I would also be interested in knowing how to solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by markleong
    Kowood, try the following from console:-

ls -la /mnt/cdrom

Did you get a no such file or directory message? You should unless you have created a mount point in /mnt yourself.

Next do the following:-

ls -la /cdrom

You should see 2 lines, one ending with 1 dot and the other with 2 dots.

Issue the following as root user:-

chmod 777 /dev/cdrom

Then type the following:-

ls -la /dev/cdrom

You will see that /dev/cdrom points to something else (eg. /dev/scd0).

Let me know what does it point to. Or you can enable everyone has read access to whatever /dev/cdrom is pointing to (eg. chmod a+r /dev/scd0).

After that try to play your movies or music cd. Try music cd first for simplicity. Again, there is no need to mount vcd, dvd or cds.

/mnt/hda1 should be your harddisk (not cdrom) and I don't think you should mount anything there yourself unless you know what you are doing.

The above are all done in a console
    The first one gave me some readout, it wasn't no file or directory message. ls -la /cdrom showed me all the files on my hda1. chmod 777 /dev/cdrom gave a no file or directory for /dev/cdrom. I'll post the full output if I can get it to save. I have some troubles with that earlier.

Member registered user
    Please post your /etc/fstab file. Did you amend /etc/fstab?

Your problem is the way linux deals with audio (ie not data) CD's. Put in a data CD (perhaps your Knoppix CD) & click on the CDrom icon or navigate to /cdrom & it should open. If you navigate to /mnt, autofs should create /mnt/cdrom which will 'exist' only while the CD is in place & the cd should be accessable there too.

but this doesn't work for audio CD's. See this link:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12933

What Cuddles doesn't explain is how to access the CD with xmms. First, make sure xmms works. I had to install xmms-arts plugin to get it to work reliably, don't know if it's available from klik or not. Start xmms & test it with /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg. Then, using the 'open' dialog in xmms, navigate to /cdrom & you should see your audio files. If you see them but can't seem to play them, the problem may be that the volume is off. Open kmix & turn up the 'input' volume setting. If you still have no success, the problem is probably with xmms.
    If xmms starts the first attempt only but won't play then freezes on subsequent attempts to start, you need the xmms-arts plugin. You also have to go into xmms preferences & enable it after installing it.

Hope this works. You can also try other players, several are available from klik. Xmms is as good as any as a player but it's user interface could use some work.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast