Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Playing a CD With Hdd Install

Senior Member registered user
    Am I using /etc/fstab wrong? Because when I put it in, under root user, it just says something about it not being a command. /cdrom dumps me to the hard drive, not the cdrom.

Member registered user
    Just to throw my hat in,
    I had a problem with this same type of issue on my Hd install. How I got aroung it was by deleting the desktop icon for the cd rom on my desktop. I then rightclicked and created a new device. I named it cd-rom and selected the device from the list it provided me. It worked for me. I know it doesn't change the config setting and delve into the core but you may want to try it.

If it doesn't work, sorry can't help.

The man's got a good idea. It's often the simple things that foul it up.

Oh, I'm also trying to get Cedega, I already downloaded it in a tar.gz form, but should I have got it the .deb form?

Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Your problem is the way linux deals with audio (ie not data) CD's. Put in a data CD (perhaps your Knoppix CD) & click on the CDrom icon or navigate to /cdrom & it should open. If you navigate to /mnt, autofs should create /mnt/cdrom which will 'exist' only while the CD is in place & the cd should be accessable there too.
    If you're using a "fromhd" Poor Man's Install, navigating to /cdrom will show you the contents of the partition your Knoppix "cloop" image is stored on, not the content of the CD in your CD-ROM drive.

If you then put a data CD into your CD-ROM drive, and navigate to /mnt/cdrom, the automounter should mount it and show you the data. If for some reason it doesn't, you can mount it manually as root to an existing directory in /mnt. For example,

mount /dev/hdc /mnt/test
    (Edit: It may be "hdc1" or "hdc", I'm not sure. In my Red Hat Linux experience, I had to create a symlink from /dev/hdc to /dev/cdrom.)

should work if your CD is your secondary master, or, if you passed Knoppix the "hdc=scsi" code so you can burn CDs,

mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/test

should mount a data CD on /mnt/test.

CrashedAgain's and Cuddles' experiences match mine with audio CDs. That is, I get error messages when I try to mount them, but they play just fine in XMMS.

P.S. Not to beat a dead horse, but Kowood, you said you successfully saved a file to the partition you mounted the Knoppix image from, after the "poor man's installation." Please post the output of "cat /etc/mtab" after you go through the steps to make that partition writeable.

Quote Originally Posted by robwelsh100
    Just to throw my hat in,
    I had a problem with this same type of issue on my Hd install. How I got aroung it was by deleting the desktop icon for the cd rom on my desktop. I then rightclicked and created a new device. I named it cd-rom and selected the device from the list it provided me. It worked for me. I know it doesn't change the config setting and delve into the core but you may want to try it.

If it doesn't work, sorry can't help.
    It still said mount point /mnt/auto/cdrom doesn't exist.

Could it have something to do with the fact that it's /mnt/auto/cdrom and not /mnt/cdrom ?

Member registered user
    Kowood, do the following as root user in a console:-

cat /etc/fstab

You should see an entry for /dev/cdrom. That should point to /cdrom. Post the output here and we would be able to see your mount points.

BTW, how new are you to knoppix? linux?

Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Your problem is the way linux deals with audio (ie not data) CD's. Put in a data CD (perhaps your Knoppix CD) & click on the CDrom icon or navigate to /cdrom & it should open. If you navigate to /mnt, autofs should create /mnt/cdrom which will 'exist' only while the CD is in place & the cd should be accessable there too.
    If you're using a "fromhd" Poor Man's Install, navigating to /cdrom will show you the contents of the partition your Knoppix "cloop" image is stored on, not the content of the CD in your CD-ROM drive.

If you then put a data CD into your CD-ROM drive, and navigate to /mnt/cdrom, the automounter should mount it and show you the data. If for some reason it doesn't, you can mount it manually as root to an existing directory in /mnt. For example,

mount /dev/hdc /mnt/test
    (Edit: It may be "hdc1" or "hdc", I'm not sure. In my Red Hat Linux experience, I had to create a symlink from /dev/hdc to /dev/cdrom.)

should work if your CD is your secondary master, or, if you passed Knoppix the "hdc=scsi" code so you can burn CDs,

mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/test

should mount a data CD on /mnt/test.

CrashedAgain's and Cuddles' experiences match mine with audio CDs. That is, I get error messages when I try to mount them, but they play just fine in XMMS.

P.S. Not to beat a dead horse, but Kowood, you said you successfully saved a file to the partition you mounted the Knoppix image from, after the "poor man's installation." Please post the output of "cat /etc/mtab" after you go through the steps to make that partition writeable.
    Hmmm.
    I just tried with my poormans install & I am not able to mount either a data CD or an audio CD when running from the poormans. You are right, /cdrom is the partiton on which the poormans is installed, however when I put either a data CD or an audio CD in the CD drive, the drive light lights for only a moment then stops & navgating to /mnt or /mnt/auto shows nothing. There is a /mnt/cdrom but it's locked & konqueror says it's a 'link to unknown'. It's actually a link to /mnt/auto/cdrom which autofs creates when reading a CD but that doesn't seem to work in poormans.
    So maybe there is a problem with autofs in poormans??? or maybe it's particular to my installation since my poormans is actually a poormans install of a remaster & I may have killed something doing the remaster.

Dunno, it may be due to your remaster. What do you get when you run /etc/init.d/autofs status? It seems to work OK using a PMI ("poor man's install") of stock Knoppix 3.6.

Here's what /etc/mtab looks like on my PMI:

Code:
    /dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /cdrom vfat ro,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=default,iocharset=default 0 0
    /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX iso9660 ro 0 0
    /ramdisk /ramdisk tmpfs rw,size=91988k 0 0
    /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw,devmode=0666 0 0
    /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hdb2 ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
    /mnt/hdb2/knoppix.img /home/knoppix ext2 rw,loop=/dev/loop0 0 0
    automount(pid818) /mnt/auto autofs rw,fd=4,pgrp=818,minproto=2,maxproto=4 0 0
    Line 2 indicates the partition the cloop file's on (hda5, FAT32). Line 7 is persistent home (hdb2/knoppix.img). And line 8's the automounter.

See how hda5 is mounted read-only? I don't see how you can unmount it and mount it read-write while Knoppix is running. Two people have told me they've managed to somehow save files to the drive their PMI is running from, but this is why I still don't believe them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast