Just writing to see if anyone has any advice. I've been working really hard on getting Knoppix to run on this laptop.
Knoppix 3.6 doesn't like booting from SCSI devices, so I did a "poor man's install" in order to be able to boot.
I finally got my hard drive partitioned for an install, and for some reason Knoppix will not install the LILO (we tried installing GRUB, too), although it appears to have installed the OS just fine. (Can't boot into it, so I can't be completely sure). I can't make a boot disk, as my laptop has no A:\ drive. I've been using the code:

dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/mnt/sda1/linux.bin bs=512 count=1
(hda2 is the boot partition, sda1 is a 128MB QuickiDrive)

then pasting the file linux.bin into C:\ and editing boot.ini to add:

C:\linux.bin="Knoppix 3.6"

but it doesn't boot...

I would really like to be able to at least run Knoppix without the CD to boot from, so I am trying to explore any options I can find. Advice is most welcome.

Ideas so far:
1. Maybe I haven't explored all the options for getting it to install or read the LILO (or GRUB). Keep trying different ideas.
2. Have a friend make a boot floppy of the Knoppix 3.6 CD and then take the first 512 characters of that and save as linux.bin. Paste the boot floppy info into the spot where I've been attempting to install the LILO, and use that linux.bin to boot Knoppix from Windows as I have been attempting.

It strikes me that with the second option, one of three things will happen:
1. I'll get really lucky, and it'll decide to boot the Knoppix 3.6 installed onto my hard drive. (I don't have much hope for that).
2. It'll work to boot the Knoppix files on my Windows partition that I use for the "poor man's install." I won't be able to update or install other parts into Knoppix, but I could set up a permanent directory and run it that way.
3. It won't like the fact that I don't have a floppy drive, and won't stop looking for one, resulting in another failure to boot Knoppix without the CD.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Especially ideas on how to get Knoppix to actually install a boot file onto my laptop. All the bs=512 count=1 files it's made thus far have been full of "ööööööööööööööööööö," as opposed to the "ŽÛ1ö1ÿüó¥aÿ&B" type characters my friend (who installed on his HD) has.
Any thoughts at all are welcome on this. Life without Knoppix on your computer is sad indeed...