Thread: Knoppix Live CD-Entire windows system backup to DVD via USB

Knoppix Live CD-Entire windows system backup to DVD via USB

I am new to Linux and new to Knoppix. This is what I am trying to do. I would like to boot to Knoppix Live CD 3.6 on a windows machine with an Iomega SuperDVD 12x Writer attached via USB. I would then like to create a backup image of the entire hard drive (windows partition) and burn it directly to DVDs. To reiterate, I am completely a novice to Linux. I can confirm that the drive is accessible when booting to Knoppix Live CD, which is great! Someone mentioned "dd" to me. Will this be acceptable? I am not very concerned about performance, but I am concerned with integrity.

Ghost for Windows / DOS is 100% NOT an option any more because I cannot see the USB drive. I have spent the last 180 hours trying to get this going but USB support for DOS just is not there... so please do not reference Ghost. Also Iomega will not provide any support for DOS based issues.

Does anyone know how to implement this? Perhaps there is an application that I could add to the Knoppix iso and then burn it. If it is via command line, I will need to know how to determine what device is actually the USB DVD burner and also how to determine what device is the windows partition. I tried the mount command but what is returned is somewhat confusing. In addition, I am not certain if it will be necessary to put some sort of size limit which will prompt me when the 1st DVD is filled up and it is time to eject the 1st DVD and inject the 2nd DVD.

I am not sure if this is a lot to ask and I am not certain if I am even in the right area to be asking such a question.

Any assitance on implementing this would be GREATLY appreciated !!

Thanks,
    Mike

Senior Member registered user
    First thing to try:
    does the program called k3b see your DVD burner?

I cannot see the USB DVD burner while in K3B. Do I need to perform any type of USB scan, or having it connected during bootup is enough? How can I verify that I can see the drive at all when booting to Knoppix LiveCD?

Thank you,
    Mike..newbie

Correction... I tried this on a different system and I can see the DVD in k3b. What is the appropriate process to create the backup image of the entire windows partition please (from k3b) What would be the restore procedure? Also.. If there is another possible method, I may need to for the system that cannot see the DVD when booting to Live CD..
    Thanks!
    Mike

Hi Mike,

Perhaps should you try the PartImage tool included in the knoppix CD.

This wonderful tool can make disk images, à-la Ghost, compressed or not, and send data through the network to the PC carrying your DVD recorder. (idea based on a network setup between the PCs !!).

In this case, you can store the image file under /tmp (or anything you like) and burn it using your favorite burner (K3B, cdrecord, etc...)

Of course this involves the use of Samba for remote filesystem access, or any other distant media mounting method (NFS, etc...).
    Hopefully, knoppix makes it really easy to create samba shares !

The other thing to consider is of course temporary disk space on the second PC.

One of the linux gurus visiting this site may also give you a more elegant solution, that is, a direct remote cd-burner access, i mean, direct DVD peripheral access other the network so that K3B on the first PC can burn right onto it. [ Hey guys, any ideas for Mike ? ]

Have a look at the partimage project homepage for more information http://www.partimage.org

Hope this helps,

Olivier from France

P.S: Perhaps should you try to investigate why the USB burner is not recognized on PC #1, using usbview, and kernel message file (dmesg)[/url]