Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing Knoppix on a computer with Winxp already on it.

Junior Member registered user
    h sorry, i didn't see the topic with the title "Root password"

<_<;;

So i downloaded ntsfresize, but found that I need to use alien to install it.

So I download Alien, and the whole this looks confusing as hell.

Ahhh, does anyone know how to install ALien?

Member registered user
    I'm not sure what that error is?? Sorry I was so vague in my earlier post, I didn't have much time. Here is what I did which works great for me, see this link: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13177
    You have nothing to lose by doing an hd install because you don't already have a fat32 partition. If you can't get QTParted to work you could always try a windows program, there are a bunch here: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PartitionManagers
    I will help in anyway that I can, I'm still a newbie too, I only got knoppix a week ago, but I did some work with pear pc and emulating OS X so this isn't as big of a change for me. Hope you get it to work!!

Lol, i'm gonna spend the rest of the afternoon to try to install this baby

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by sethosayher
    ok, tried to install ntfs, and then Kpakage asked me for a password. Whats the default password?
    Root by defualt doesn't have a password, Besides, you wouldn't be able to install it anyway because its a cd. The parts it wants to install too aren't on the Ramdisk.

http://www.sysresccd.org/ Has the most uptodate version of any Live-cd linux. At boot up type menu

Member registered user
    Quote from the NTFSResize FAQ, referred earlier:

"Before resizing an NTFS, ntfsresize makes a filesystem consistency check and it refuses to progress, giving error messages, if it found errors. In these cases you need to boot Windows and run chkdsk with the /f (fix errors) command line option. If chkdsk asks you about if it should check the drive the next time you restart the computer then answer 'y' (yes) and restart Windows. If you don't specify the /f option then chkdsk will not fix the NTFS consistency problems."

Then use QtParted from the SystemRescueCD (unfortunately Knoppix has a 2 years old, very limited ntfs resizer). It will work fine, it always worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Irgu
    Quote from the NTFSResize FAQ, referred earlier:

"Before resizing an NTFS, ntfsresize makes a filesystem consistency check and it refuses to progress, giving error messages, if it found errors. In these cases you need to boot Windows and run chkdsk with the /f (fix errors) command line option. If chkdsk asks you about if it should check the drive the next time you restart the computer then answer 'y' (yes) and restart Windows. If you don't specify the /f option then chkdsk will not fix the NTFS consistency problems."

Then use QtParted from the SystemRescueCD (unfortunately Knoppix has a 2 years old, very limited ntfs resizer). It will work fine, it always worked for me.
    Damn I'm screwed. One of the reasons why I'm installing Knoppix, is because windows won't start up properly.......So I can't boot it.........i hope I won't have to refromat my comp.

If i reformat my drive could I still acess the internet?

I use a usb cable modem. Does Knoppix need my WIndows partition in order to get back online?

Member registered user
    If i reformat my drive could I still acess the internet?

I use a usb cable modem. Does Knoppix need my WIndows partition in order to get back online?
    I don't think that you would have to worry about that, Knoppix automatically detects your TCP/IP settings and downloads them from your IP server, just watch the text on the startup screen. Besides, remember that windows isn't running when you are running knoppix so It can't get info from it.

Senior Member registered user
    If you have a cd-rw thats not the drive your booting knoppix from then you can burn cds.

Just start up k3b.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast