Thread: need snall help with dpackage

need snall help with dpackage

I have a full hard drive install of knoppix 3.3.

I have installed ImageMagick from an RPM file, and dpackage says it was installed okay, but I cannot seem to find ho to either find any installed link. I searched for files, and I did find some folders here and there with the name, but no files to excecute.

Help?

re

If you use kpackage or synaptic, also you can intall it from apt-get, you can find the package, and know the files that it had installed.

Good luck

Senior Member registered user

Re: need snall help with dpackage

Quote Originally Posted by maestrobwh1

I have installed ImageMagick from an RPM file, and dpackage says it was installed okay, but I cannot seem to find ho to either find any installed link. I searched for files, and I did find some folders here and there with the name, but no files to excecute.

Help?
    dpackage??? do you mean kpackage? For Knoppix (which is a Debian based system) you should use .deb packages, not RPM's. You can make an rpm into a .deb with the program 'alien' (i.e. alien -d <package name>) then install it with apt-get, dpkg or kpackage. But you should only have to do this if there is no .deb already available and I'm sure there is one for ImageMagick.

The imagemagick installed on my system appears to be a series of utilites to create, edit & convert image files, not a stand alone program, (see 'man imagemagick') so there is no actual 'imagemagick' executeable. You may have the same.

Yes, I meant k-package. I like my Debain/Linux operating system, but find I have to use Windows more often than I like because of ease of use.

I use Xnview in Windows, and they have several Linux packages, but no Debian based packages. Are you aware of any image editing software that has good features that allow for contrast adjustment, resizing, and other more complex funtions that will install easily into my Knoppix/Debian 3.3 system?

try xnview_1.68-2_i386.deb available from http://xnview.asos-clan.de/. )I found this by goggling for xnview then search within result for .deb). You can download the package then if you click on it kpackage should install it ok provided there are no outside dependency programs which you do not have. If there are any you will have to install them first.
    To make apt-get (or kpackage) automatically take care of dependencies you would have to add http://xnview.asos-clan.de/ to your sources list.

Thanks a million. You are perhaps one of the most helpful people I have encountered in this forum or anywhere. It really helps me get away from windows and support open source software/operating systems.

One last question: How do I add a URL to my sources list when kpackage looks for dependencies?

It worked!

I unchecked "dependencies" in kpackage, and then did an apt.

The program is great, just like the windows version, though some features are a tad different.

Re: need snall help with dpackage

Help?
    Well you do not need to use .rpms usually as Debian has alot more packages than RPM.

ImageMagick is one of the weirdest apps I've even seen whn it comes to launching it. It's as though they wanted to keep it a secret. Additionally (at least in my experience) it only shows up in the Debian menu. Even the man page does not tell you how to launch it!?!? Anyway...to launch it via command line:

display&

I can't belive you didn't think of that! (it's so intuitive)

Thanks a million. You are perhaps one of the most helpful people I have encountered in this forum or anywhere. It really helps me get away from windows and support open source software/operating systems.
    Well CrashedAgain is so helpful because tragically he lost his whole family (of pc's) during the last big M$ virus infestation. After that he vowed to spend the rest of his days getting revenge on the evil empire of BIll and showing those still lost the way to a REAL operating system. Well at least that's how I heard it.

One last question: How do I add a URL to my sources list when kpackage looks for dependencies?
    Have a look at /etc/apt/sources.list. You can easily add a source to sources.list like so:

echo "deb http://www.os-cillation.de/debian binary/" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Beware the '>>'! If you use only 1 '>' you will overwrite your entire sources.list! Of course Debian is nice and makes a backup for you first.

Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Well CrashedAgain is so helpful because tragically he lost his whole family (of pc's) during the last big M$ virus infestation. After that he vowed to spend the rest of his days getting revenge on the evil empire of BIll and showing those still lost the way to a REAL operating system. Well at least that's how I heard it.
    Close. but I did pick the name CrashedAgain because I felt I had earned it. I spent a long time stumbling around in the dark when I first started playing with Linux (only slightly more than a year ago) so I'm glad to help out if I can. Actually I kind of surprise myself every time I'm able to answer a question instead of asking one. If you're really bored, do a search for posts by CrashedAgain on the Linux Format board, especially the early ones 'installing Mandrake' and 'am I just dumb or..'.

Have a look at /etc/apt/sources.list. You can easily add a source to sources.list like so:

echo "deb http://www.os-cillation.de/debian binary/" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Beware the '>>'! If you use only 1 '>' you will overwrite your entire sources.list! Of course Debian is nice and makes a backup for you first.[/quote]

Easier & safer for a nOOb: use Kwrite or Kate (MZ doesn't use KDE so he won't use these).
    You have to be root so make a Kate-as-root application. Drag the Kate icon from the start menu to the desktop, 'copy here'. Then right click, selsct properties->application->advanced options. Check the 'run as a different user' option & type 'root' as the user. OK your changes.
    You will need a root password. If you don't have one you can put one in by typing 'sudo passwd' in console.
    Now start Kate-as-root, open the file /etc/apt/sources.list & edit away. The problem is going to be getting the source entry (http://xnview.asos-clan.de/) properly formatted so that apt will accept it as a source. I haven't done this much & I'm not really sure what the proper form is. All I can say is try to make it look like the other entries. And make a backup copy of your original sources.list first.