Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: some games

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by qbus
    Quote Originally Posted by moustache
    DOSemu
    or maby dosbox
    klik://dosbox - please let me know what DOS apps/games you run successfully on this...

Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Quote Originally Posted by qbus
    DOSemu
    or maby dosbox
    klik://dosbox - please let me know what DOS apps/games you run successfully on this...
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?letter=a
    Though they run slow because of the enumlation.

I think I read its about 25mhz on a 1.7 ghz computer

I just downloaded the windows version and found that the enumulated speed can be increased, to a point before eventhing starts crashing.

I got it to about 6000 before Descent started acting strange. (jerky movements, cut off sound, wrong robot textures)

You might want to include a front-end to the proram on klik also. Its hard to config for someone who just wants to run a game.

wonder what it would be on my 800 mhz via processor?

heehee

~pau1

Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    You might want to include a front-end to the proram on klik also.
    Done just klik again

I have winxp on my computer and I always run knoppix from the live-cd.
    I tried using dosbox ( used klik and installed it after using wget to install the klik browser software itself). After much struggliing I got descent to run like a slide show ( 0.5 to 1.5 frames per second). Even with the dosbox frontend it would not save my config file.
    I have had much better luck with the dosemu binaries (dosemu and freedos at http://www.dosemu.org/ ) by just downloading and extracting them to the home directory with ARK. Using dosemu ( and the nvidia driver probono put the knoppix utilities ) I have been able to run Descent and Quake at full speed and in opengl modifications (ie glquake).

Do all klik files have to end in a .deb extension?

Why do i have to install the klik software with the one-line script on the http://klik.berlios.de/ page even after the knoppix utilities made by probone have used klik to install the nvidia driver?

Moustache

I have had much better luck with the dosemu binaries (dosemu and freedos at http://www.dosemu.org/ ) by just downloading and extracting them to the home directory with ARK.
    Good to hear that dosemu works for you. Sure I'l try to make it klik-able, too.
    the nvidia driver probono put the knoppix utilities
    The fame for that goes to fabianx.
    Do all klik files have to end in a .deb extension?
    No, in fact some klik recipes use software that is packaged in the .rpm format or in other formats.
    Why do i have to install the klik software with the one-line script on the http://klik.berlios.de/ page even after the knoppix utilities made by probone have used klik to install the nvidia driver?
    The utility you used for installing the nvidia driver is _not_ klik, it is a totally separate tool written by fabianx. The klik client itself is not yet included in Knoppix, but I hear it will be by default in the next version of Kanotix.

Btw, more games on http://klik.berlios.de/debian.php?section=games/ - please post here which ones work

Greetings,
    probono

Thanks for the corrections probono.

That is quite a list of games, some are pretty big, and some ( like angband) install but wont run from the live-cd because they need configuration and the directories klik installs in are read-only in the live-cd (even in root). I will continue to try more from your list.

BTW thanks to fabianx for his live-cd installation tool. It works for me!

As far a kanotix, I think there is a new version out now...will try it.

Moustache

Quote Originally Posted by probono
    I have had much better luck with the dosemu binaries (dosemu and freedos at http://www.dosemu.org/ ) by just downloading and extracting them to the home directory with ARK.
    Good to hear that dosemu works for you. Sure I'l try to make it klik-able, too.
    I had some troubles with that. wish there was a frontend to the config settings (Or atleast more info about what they do)

Did you make it klikable yet?

DOSemu is easy once you get used to it. Just download the freedos binary first and extract it to your home directory (in knoppix). Then download and extract dosemu binary into the home directory (both should be automatically extracted into the /dosemu directory).
    Then open a terminal window in knoppix, cd to dosemu and type ./dosemu. After you accept it will give you a dos prompt. The next thing i do is use the 'edit' command to edit the autoexec.bat file. I add an "lredir" command to mount my windows c drive ( ie, add this line "lredir c /linux/fs/mnt/hda1". Then exitemu and then restart ./dosemu to be sure it mounts my windows drive as c:\.
    After that i run ./xdosemu to run my old dos games from my windows c drive to take advantage of my graphics card (nvidia) acceleration via linux XFree.
    This is works for me anyway.

Moustache

BTW I am trying out Kanotix but cant get nvidia driver installed because the install scripts written by Fabianx are not there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast