Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.7 is out ... sort of

Re: somebody host a tracker!

Quote Originally Posted by jjjrrr3
    Quote Originally Posted by spammehere1234
    i personally doubt 3.7 will be released anywhere else (like 3.5).
    No offence, but I was hoping for an unofficial statement from someone on the Knoppix team. If you're downloading 3.7 with the rest of us, then I'd guess that you don't exactly have the inside scoop.
    that's why i said "personally" ... as in it's just my opinion.

to me it just makes sense that a promotional edition the magazine may have paid for distribution rights to wouldn't be available through the standard channels. (just like the special linuxtag 3.5 dvd edition wasn't.) not to mention that the main Knoppix page announcing 3.7 as "Exclusive KNOPPIX Version 3.7 in PC-Welt magazine" makes the official position fairly plain.

Knoppix 3.7 ED2K link

new tracker, same torrent.

hey guys, i just started a tracker for the torrent posted higher up on the page...
    all you need to do is to change the tracker URL to this:

BAAAADDD!!!!! = http://placebis.net:6969/

[edit]ATTENTION: as explained in my next post in this thread, i have changed the tracker URL to http://placebis.net:6969/announce[/edit]

i currently don't have the ISO, so if someone who reads this has it could you please start seeding it with this new tracker please?

thanks!
    uriahheep[/u]

knoppix release

Of course knoppix is GPL. But GPL says nothing on wich way you distribute the source code. A lot of commercial distribution don't offer the iso files for free downloading.
    Additional Klaus Knopper needs also money to keep the project running, so I think he uses these exclusive publishings for fund raising. But at the end, we will get again a fine 3.8 version.
    I didn't know exactly about the 3.7, but I know, that he put some software in 3.5 on demand of the publischer (c't computer mag. ). So he put additional gnome into 3.5 for example, but for his normal distributions he take only a single GUI and concentrate on tools for programming and network analysis.

Junior Member registered user

Re: knoppix release

I never thought about it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by enzo.c
    So he put additional gnome into 3.5 for example, but for his normal distributions he take only a single GUI and concentrate on tools for programming and network analysis.

So your saying that 3.7 wont have programing tools? Thats why i love knoppix so much. Unlike other live cds knoppix is the only one that has programing utilities like gcc/g++ for programers like me. I needed something that alowed me to program on the go. Ive tryed mandrake move 2 but mandrake move doesnt have gcc or any networking tools, its useless.

Member registered user
    For anyone who still can't grab it I should have a torrent up by tomorow afternoon (4 or 5PM EST) Should be alright speed

Re: knoppix release

So your saying that 3.7 wont have programing tools?
    No -- first of all I don't know, what they changed for the 3.7 exclusive, beside they put some firewall stuff on the cd. I didn't know, which firewall stuff -- the PC-Welt mag says only some maketing garbage. Second: Of course their was gcc on 3.5. As you say a Linux/Unix without gcc is useless. But not many additonal tools (as ddd for example). And so their will be gcc also on 3.7.

edit: And you can be sure that their will be a lot of programming tools on the next regulare 3.8 Knoppix, because Klaus Knopper said during a chat on the question, why he didn't include Gnome into the normal editions, that it is important for him to include a lot of programming stuff. So it depends on the demands of PC-Welt, how many programming stuff is included.

sorry for my bad english

Official statement from Klaus Knopper

You can find a official statement from Klaus Knopper on:
    http://www.linuxforen.de/forums/show...4&page=1&pp=15

I think most of you don't understand German, so I try a translation:

In this case the release (by the way exactly as for the c't special editions) is a "real" Knoppix, which (similar as for the LinuxTag-DVD-Edition 3.5 for the Linux Day 2004) is exclusive produced for PC-Welt along strict guidelines. The release is based on the public version 3.6, but has some new features, which are supposed to betray in the magazine, so I don't want to write alot about it
    So I think it will use the same Kernels as 3.6 ... but for more information you have to try it.

Re: new tracker, same torrent.

Quote Originally Posted by uriahheep
    hey guys, i just started a tracker for the torrent posted higher up on the page...

http://placebis.net:6969/

i currently don't have the ISO, so if someone who reads this has it could you please start seeding it with this new tracker please?

thanks!
    uriahheep
    i don't really know what i'm doing, but in azureus i right clicked, went to "add tracker url" and added the one above. the status is given as seeding, but nothing is happening connection wise... what's going on?

i'll leave it running but capped @ 10KB/s since i'm using eMule to share it on the other 30KB/s that i've got... and people there seem to be interested. if nothing's happening by the weekend i'll quit seeding the torrent.

Junior Member registered user
    The best way to get it right now is edonkey, im getting about 12kbs a second. It should be done in a day and a half of downloading. I kinda feel bad for downloading it since its exclusive for the magazine and all but i live in the US and its no possible way i could buy the magazine, so this is my only choice

Re: new tracker, same torrent.

Quote Originally Posted by uriahheep

http://placebis.net:6969/ [XX--no more]
    ok i think i made a mistake while setting the torrent/tracker up, as this is the first time that i try to track a torrent... i may have fixed this problem, though, by changing the tracker URL to this:

http://placebis.net:6969/announce [XX--no more] [edit]YES MORE!![/edit]

just edit the tracker URL and add "announce" to the previous address. i think i've started to see a bit more action in my azureus console since i've made this change. anyway, best of luck!

later!
    uriahheep

[edit]ok i brought the tracker back up. spammehere1234 should start seeding it whenever he wakes up :P[/edit]

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast