Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to make a knoppix DVD UNCOMPRESSED

Senior Member registered user
    Klaus Knopper has remarked on the subject that DVD uncompressed is slower due to the I/O of data retreival.

Especially note that DVD .iso is limited to 2GB in media and usually translates to around 5GB of uncompressed format.

Trying to retrieve data from a 5GB store of data is bound to be slower than trying the same from a 2GB store. Decompression is a much faster operation then I/O.

Today's storage systems in pentabytes ...terrabytes... have horrendous problems in trying to retrieve data. Special techniques are required to implement retrieval. Considering this phenomenon may shed some understanding of the problem that uncompressing Knoppix DVD produces in retrieving program data.

Klaus Knopper has produced the fastest Live CD out there and has plans for a DVD version for next release. I eagerly await the release.

Knoppix on DVD

For me I don't care if it's faster or slower.

What I want to know is, can you install this DVD version to a hard drive?

See, what I want to do is, transfer my current Knoppix 3.7 install to DVD for reinstallation on an other computer.

Keep us posted on your website.

sakiZ

sakiZ;

I have installed the Knoppix Live CD onto a DVD/RW (4x) using k3b to install to DVD from the Knoppix LiveCD.iso. This utilizes growisofs automatically in the DVD .iso option.

This installs the 600MB+ onto the DVD media.

You could then run the DVD media in the new computer and utilize the compressed version of Knoppix Live CD. It may in fact run a bit faster. It does not utilize the full media capability of 4.4GB but does permit boot and run of Knoppix Live CD on a DVD media.

The decompressed version may be what you seek, however. The previous posting describing how this might be done should be examined.

I don't think that it is the ISO file that has the 2 gig limit. I think it is the compressed /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file that has to be under two gigs. The KNOPPIX 3.5 DVD has a lot more than 2 gigs on it but the actual KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file is under 2 gig. I was wondering if you could create a remaster under the two gig limit. Then create symbolic links to uncompressed space outside of the compressed KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file. Lets say instead of instead of two directories boot and KNOPPIX there are 3, boot, KNOPPIX and themes. Lets say I want to link to have a hundred skins to choose from for xmms. Could I put the skin files in the new uncompressed directory themes? /themes/xmms? Then create a symbolic link from inside the compressed at /etc/skel/.xmms to outside the compressed at mnt/cdrom/themes/xmms? I guess from console you would need to
    #cd etc/skel/.xmms/skins
    and type
    # ln -s /mnt/cdrom/themes/xmms/* .
    The cd would already be mounted. Would this work?
    If it did work would the link still be valid when when /etc/skel is copied to /home/knoppix?
    Would there be a permission problem?
    If this were to work maybe even Klik applications could be added from a directory inside the ISO but outside of the compressed Knoppix file.
    If it did work the resulting live DVD would not be a good candidate for a hard drive install.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by nvgringo
    I think it is the compressed /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file that has to be under two gigs.
    Correct. The iso is not limited to 2 gig. The DVD standard limits any one file on a data CD to 2 gigs in size. The compressed clopp file is, of course, the largest single file on a Knoppix DVD. A Knoppix DVD might well get around this by including a large compressed clopp image, and then including additional compressed applications in compressed cmg files like Probono is using in his "klik" software.

Harry;
    I see you refer to the klik solution of Probono as using compressed files on both the knoppix cloop files and the cmg files.

When using the Knoppix format, the DVD is loaded using growisofs in k3b.

What format might be compatible to add cmg files after first running growisofs? What error messages might be encountered when trying to load...say..uncompressed data on the same DVD as Knoppix?

In fact, using k3b, what install instructions are appropriate for adding uncompressed data to a compressed formatted DVD? Or doesn't format mean anything to DVD?

When first running k3b DVD burns, the evidence of previously recorded data is acknowledged and a decision has to be made to overwrite if desired. What format information is inherent in the test thus performed by k3b? Does it regard new information as having to follow that format?

I see k3b as providing one format for .iso,..... via growisofs. What other compressed format is then possible? How does one do an uncompressed burn if the system recognizes the DVD as having a compression format?

I am not an expert on DVD burning and could use some insight!

Administrator Site Admin-
    I understand a bit about DVD burning, but am also not an expert. As far as compressed or uncompressed, I don't think the DVD really knows or cares. A data file is a data file. It's just the application(s) that you run that deal with the files (such as the clopp file) as compressed data and know to extract what they need from it. I know nothing at all of growisofs, whatever that is, and while I read the remastering forum I have yet to remaster anything (even a CD) so I don't want to pretend to be the expert here. But the file size of the clopp file is a DVD file restriction, and I would think that cmg files would be a good way around it (another might actually be to create a second compressed clopp file, but cmg files strike me as a better way to approach it). Perhaps Probono can give us his thoughts on all of this.

Hi all,

you can put the cmg files just anywhere on the DVD. I have successfully built a DVD with over 2GB of additional software this way, without remastering the 700 MB cloop knoppix file.

The only thing is that you need cmg support on your DVD, I have done this by a persistent home & knoppix.sh script that adds the neccessary fstab lines.

Greetings,
    probono

just a thought, would not using mount bind ... on that second image on the dvd work?

Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    just a thought, would not using mount bind ... on that second image on the dvd work?
    What for?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast