Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to make a knoppix DVD UNCOMPRESSED

Senior Member registered user
    if you mount a second, third... imagefile on same cd as a part of the bootable one you get more space right?

Probono;

I note your cmg file post but am not sure what DVD software is employed to perform the added cmg uncompressed files to a knoppix compressed DVD burn.

I am under the impression that multi-session burns on DVD media (R/W) are not implemented in k3b.

Perhaps you can illustrate your burn sequence in more detail. I would enjoy trying the technique to enhance my DVD media utilization.

hi lilsirecho,

it's easier than you probably think. Just forget for a moment the fact that cmg files are compressed. You simply add them to the CD/DVD just like you would add any other file, e. g. a HTML page. Since you do not alter the 700 MB KNOPPIX file at all, it's quite easy. And you don't need multisession, too.

Here is the command that I'm using for Kanotix (I don't have the command handy for Knoppix, but I'm sure you'll find it on this forum):
    mkisofs -input-charset ISO-8859-15 -pad -l -r -J -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size4 -boot-info-table -b boot/grub/iso9660_stage1_5 -c boot/grub/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o ../../remaster.iso ../

Greetings,
    probono

Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    if you mount a second, third... imagefile on same cd as a part of the bootable one you get more space right?
    Sure, but would you really want more "monolithic" 700 MB files? Personally, I prefer it more "modular", that's why I pack each application into one cmg file. It's more flexible that way. (You can find more info on it on http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15701)

But of course, what you describe should also be an option.

Greetings,
    probono

References are made to increase the utilization of "CD" space.

As I understand the CD for Knoppix, it utilizes almost all of the CD (680MB) .

If one is referring to DVD media, much space is left after loading Knoppix to DVD and cmg files might be a fruitful use of the open space.

Since cmg stands for compressed image files, please advise how to intermix them with KnoppixLive CD files on the same DVD using k3b as the burn program....

Probono;

Your previous post lists the mkisofs command parameters which are not too far different than those used for Knoppix. This prepares the remaster data for an .iso burn.

When burning this .iso with k3b, the only option is .iso9660 image.

How am I to add the .cmg files(compressed in another format) to a DVD already loaded with Knoppix via .iso9660?

Since you describe forming an .iso file, it cannot be loaded as a data burn.

K3b also requires growisofs to burn .iso9660 DVD's.

What DVD burn software/hardware do you utilize? Do you burn 9660 format?

I do not wish to belabor this post but the information I have does not permit my use of the method on my machine without specifics describing how to add .cmg files to an existing Knoppix Live DVD.

lilsirecho
    I use a payware ($30.00) Windows application called MagicISO you can add or edit files inside an ISO image then burn it to dvd. Kind of cheating I guess. But it works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsirecho
    How am I to add the .cmg files(compressed in another format) to a DVD already loaded with Knoppix via .iso9660?
    Just put them on the CD in addition to the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.

E. g my directory structure is as follows (again, I have used Kanotix for my "reburn", but it's similar with Knoppix):

./boot
    ./boot/grub
    ./boot/grub/menu.lst
    ./boot/grub/kanotix.xpm.gz
    ./boot/grub/iso9660_stage1_5
    ./boot/grub/message
    ./boot/grub/stage2
    ./boot/grub/boot.cat
    ./boot/grub/extra_d.lst
    ./boot/grub/extra_e.lst
    ./boot/memtest.bin
    ./boot/miniroot.gz
    ./boot/vmlinuz
    ./boot/help.txt
    (...)
    ./free
    ./free/kdetv-0.8rc1.cmg
    ./free/kvirc-2.1.3.cmg
    ./free/nvu-0.41.cmg
    (...)
    ./KNOPPIX
    ./KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh
    ./KNOPPIX/background.jpg
    ./KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
    (...)
    ./non-free/ie6.NONFREE.cmg
    ./non-free/winrar_3.42.cmg
    ./non-free/office_xp.cmg
    ./non-free/realplayer8.cmg
    (...)

After using the above command for creating the ISO, I used k3b to burn it.

Greetings,
    probono

Probono;

Thanks for the details you provided.

I now understand the misunderstanding regarding my interest in the use of DVD unused burn space.

Your system involves burning a remastered CD to a DVD disc and I just wanted to add to an existing disc. The process you describe accomplishes that but not by adding to the existing burn...

K3b doesn't permit that..only overwriting...therefore your method requires an overwrite to accomplish adding the .cmg files or whatever is compatible with the k3b burn. It amounts to a remaster and overwrite burn on my existing DVD+R/W media disc.

I am new to DVD burning (like millions of others) but am learning fast.

Would be interested in a DVD having a menu of LIVE CD's to boot from with at least a dozen Live CD's included on the DVD.

Happy New Year!!! and thanks!

By "remastering" in the Knoppix context many people mean remastering the 700 MB KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX cloop file. My method does not need to "remaster" this. Instead, I create a wholly new ISO (using the original KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.) That's why I would say my method requires no "Knoppix remastering". It does need building and burning a new ISO, however.

Greetings,
    probono

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast