Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to make a knoppix DVD UNCOMPRESSED

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    ....After using the above command for creating the ISO, I used k3b to burn it.
    Sorrry, but I've followed a lot of threads and links but I'm having trouble figuring out just what the above command for creating the ISO is. Please say, just what command do you need to issue to make a new iso, and where do you have to be when you issue it?

Re: How to make a knoppix DVD UNCOMPRESSED

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by ISoar
    I've done this. To the nay sayers, it works fine.
    You didn't say if it's faster or (as suspected) slower. Give us real numbers please, including:
    I've not run any benchmarks against the official CD-ROM. My intent was not performance, but rather ease of customization (much easier to add stuff to the root if it is an uncompressed ISO on a DVD). I was not claiming it to be faster, just possible.

FWIW, I've started a web page HOWTO. It's incomplete (needs more info on busybox), but is mostly there. Not really that difficult to do.

Senior Member registered user
    Harry;

The above command refers to a previous post which has the data you refer to..

Re: How to make a knoppix DVD UNCOMPRESSED

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by ISoar
    I've done this. To the nay sayers, it works fine.
    You didn't say if it's faster or (as suspected) slower. Give us real numbers please, including:
    How long it takes to boot your Knopix CD.
    How long it takes to boot your Knoppix DVD (on the same drive).
    You CPU type and speed, memory, optical drive make and model.
    What speed each the CD and DVD were burnt at (I ask this because a Knoppix CD burnt fast will often take much longer to boot than one burnt slow, due to a high number of retries required during boot).

In addition to booting speeds, you might benchmark the starting of some applications from the optical media, such as GIMP, and tell us how long each takes from first click until ready to run.
    Okay, I went and burned the official CD-ROM ISO on the same DVD+RW disc. The speed results are not surprising: twice as fast booting when compressed. I've not tried your other tests; I'll leave that as an exercise fo the reader

My goal wasn't speed though.

Senior Member registered user
    I've scanned throgh so I don't know if its been explained or not, but did all you do is use a uncompressed image file?

Why doesn't anyone make a DVD version using UDF 2.01?

Why are all Knoppix distros ISO9660? Isn't UDF better? There is no 2GB file size limit in UDF 2.01 (or ealier versions for that matter). If most systems can't boot off of UDF, then you can make a hybrid like DVD video discs, but unlike a DVD video disc, instead of the ISO and the UDF file systems containing references to the same files, the ISO would only reference the files necesary for booting and the rest of the files plus all the files referenced in the ISO system would be referenced in the UDF file system.

Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    I've scanned throgh so I don't know if its been explained or not, but did all you do is use a uncompressed image file?
    Mostly. It also requires a "mount" that understands loop devices to mount the uncompressed image, and a linuxrc to do same. Check my HOWTO for specifics.

Re: Why doesn't anyone make a DVD version using UDF 2.01?

Quote Originally Posted by losmurfs
    Why are all Knoppix distros ISO9660? Isn't UDF better? There is no 2GB file size limit in UDF 2.01 (or ealier versions for that matter). If most systems can't boot off of UDF, then you can make a hybrid like DVD video discs, but unlike a DVD video disc, instead of the ISO and the UDF file systems containing references to the same files, the ISO would only reference the files necesary for booting and the rest of the files plus all the files referenced in the ISO system would be referenced in the UDF file system.
    UDF is really specifically for DVDs, and it has a <1 GB limit. From UDF v2.00 Draft page 7:
    "Extent Length: Maximum Extent Length shall be 2^30 - Logical Block Size."
    and from page 104:
    "The data of each file shall be recorded as a single extent. Each File Entry shall be recorded using the ICB Strategy Type 4."

UDF is a specific implementation of ISO/IEC 13346 (I think ECMA 167 may be equivalent) by the OSTA. Basically, the standard doesn't have enough details for implementation, so one must fill in the blanks according to the spec, which is what the OSTA did to in their own way to get UDF.

I gave up on UDF when I ran head first into CSS years back when I started the (now defunct?) linux-udf project. Thankfully that whole mess has been resolved by others (in the courts). So feel free to correct me if my info is dated.

Re: Why doesn't anyone make a DVD version using UDF 2.01?

Quote Originally Posted by losmurfs
    UDF is really specifically for DVDs, and it has a <1 GB limit. From UDF v2.00 Draft page 7:
    "Extent Length: Maximum Extent Length shall be 2^30 - Logical Block Size."
    and from page 104:
    "The data of each file shall be recorded as a single extent. Each File Entry shall be recorded using the ICB Strategy Type 4."

UDF is a specific implementation of ISO/IEC 13346 (I think ECMA 167 may be equivalent) by the OSTA. Basically, the standard doesn't have enough details for implementation, so one must fill in the blanks appropriately, which is what the OSTA did in their own way to get UDF.

I gave up on UDF when I ran head first into CSS years back when I started the (now defunct?) linux-udf project. Thankfully that whole mess has been resolved by others (in the courts). So feel free to correct me if my info is dated.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234