Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Chit-Chat, Off-topic stuff, anything goes :)

Senior Member registered user

General Chit-Chat, Off-topic stuff, anything goes :)

SO... how is everyone doing... (hopefully great ). so... what do you people like (apart from stuff (everyone loves stuff )).

Hmmmmm, kind of an open-ended post...

I like:
    An operating system that is stable, doesn't leak memory everywhere, doesn't require "security patches" every other day, and virus signature updates every-other...

I like:
    To see my system up, and running, when I come home from work, for the last two weeks, and not once having to reboot it...

I like:
    All the programs I ever wanted, or could ever want, a simple apt-get install away, and when I decide I want one of these programs, not to have it trash my complete system install, or another program that I use, on a daily basis, to go corrupt, because the program uses the same DLL files the other program uses, and decides to stomp all over it...

I like:
    To know what is "coded" in my operating system, and have the ability to recompile that operating system the way I see fit, to add code, remove code, and to have the "brightest" of people doing the same thing...

I like:
    To play "cutting edge" games, action, arcade, card, and board games, all for "no cost", as well as for my operating system. To have access to the source for these games, and possibly, even contribute to the games development.

I like:
    To have productivity software, development software, security software, diagnostic software, and even entertainment software, in code form, as well as compiled form, instantly downloadable, easily accessable, top-notch, "monopoly" compatable, free of cost, free of trojans, viri, and even free of cost ( I know, I said that twice, but, its twice as nice )

I like:
    The fact I don't have to have a "company" expense account to afford the cost of a great OS, and any of the "support" programs that one would need to have to have a "decent" working system. ( read: M$ OS, VB, VC+, VJ, Office Suite, etc... )

I like:
    The fact that all I had to do was install Linux, and not have to spend the next three days doing updates to get it working. ( read: "the other OS" installs, and needs patches, security updates, and needs downloaded code to replace the "stub" programs that come on its install )

I like:
    That Linux, as a whole, Community, which is extremely large, and varried, has a complete selection of any variant flavor, and choice, you can imagine. From Red Hat, to SuSE, to Debian, to Mandrake, to Knoppix, to Kanotix, to ( you name it ), the list gets longer every day, and all of them are a part of the "Linux Community" - try that one on for size Mr. Gates.

I like:
    To just sit back, enjoy a working computer system, with all of its hardware, and software, working, and just do what I need to do, whatever that is.

I like:
    To watch my system run, and watch my "backup" system, running Win98, require reboots, security updates, virus sig downloads, and the dreaded "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown..." messages, all while my system keeps on running.

I like:
    The fact that my Knoppix system has yet to have problems with our ISP, and the Win98 system either gets kicked off, slow pages loading, images not displayed, pop-ups, hijacked dialers, spy-ware, plug-ins to IE that add "junky" menu bars, etc...

Hmmmm, what do I like????

Linux
    Ms. Cuddles

I only dream that one day, they create a high speed wifi interface built into my brain. I don't want any OSes, afraid I will crash or they will patent me.

L O L

( or they may need to "constantly" keep "upgrading" you... )

Shah95, Shah98, Shah2k, ShahMillenium, ShahNT, and then ShahXP ( giggle )

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    L O L

( or they may need to "constantly" keep "upgrading" you... )

Shah95, Shah98, Shah2k, ShahMillenium, ShahNT, and then ShahXP ( giggle )
    What a scary thought.

No thanks, I'd rather keep that kind of stuff away from my head.

yeah... open ended...

well... i like a whole heap of stuff. like being in the sun... Watching movies at the movies (i prefer the smaller cinamers... just because the sound is ontop of me and they are usually cleaner). I like buying movies on DVD (legally), and after watching it I like to listen to the audio commentary or watch how it was made. I like a system that doesnt crash... like the system I am on now... just finished filtering out all the C R A P ! ! ! ! ! ! aka... all the pests of Malware etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chris-harry
    yeah... open ended...

well... i like a whole heap of stuff. like being in the sun... Watching movies at the movies (i prefer the smaller cinamers... just because the sound is ontop of me and they are usually cleaner). I like buying movies on DVD (legally), and after watching it I like to listen to the audio commentary or watch how it was made. I like a system that doesnt crash... like the system I am on now... just finished filtering out all the C R A P ! ! ! ! ! ! aka... all the pests of Malware etc.

While on the subject of malware... I use KMail, and I still get the junk from "You can get a Mortage at x%, just click here" stuff -=- the "from:" isn't consistant, and the "Subject:" is never the same... I've got more than 75 filters for these "junk-mail" emails, supposedly going to a "JunkMail" folder, and as of yet, nothing is working, or ever goes to that folder -=- any one have any ideas on getting rid of these PESTS ??? ( short of getting another email addy, that is )

I L O V E DVD movies, with a "canabalized" computer home theatre, running a 4.1 speaker system, ( I don't have a center channel yet ), and usually after the movie is watched twenty or thirty times, I have to run out and get the Soundtrack for the movie... Like "The Matrix" trilogy, and the two "Tomb Raider" movies...Neo is cool, and Lara Croft is sweet

Ms. Cuddles

Don't worry about junk mail, I'm in process of creating sofware that will convert all this junk mail to junk food. When done I will have lots of chips while watching movies.

Serious thing, I'm using xmail server with several filter just to avoid virus and spam.

/junk mail

seriously...
    1) make yourself a new account with whatever your preferred mail server is... I use qmail...
    2) do not give the address to anyone in windows.

3) enjoy a spam free life.

I receive no spam.... none dada nil ...
    my yahoo account gets minor amounts maybe 5 per week but this is from signing up for stuff...

my home accounts on my own server get none as does my gmail.
    when I say none I mean none btw... I hear some people get 10 per day and more...

reasons
    1) Using IE broadcasts your default mail address
    2) using outlook anyone can read it
    3) if its in an exchange server anyone can read it
    4) If you use SP2 then the whole world can read your files anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by shah
    Don't worry about junk mail, I'm in process of creating sofware that will convert all this junk mail to junk food. When done I will have lots of chips while watching movies.

Serious thing, I'm using xmail server with several filter just to avoid virus and spam.
    Like the george forman mail sorter. (Simpsons)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast