Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cdrecording doesn't work with 2.6.8

Cdrecording doesn't work with 2.6.8

Ran 2.6.8 quite happily for a while until I tried to burn a CD, didn't work. I tried every kernel parameter for the device in lilo I could think of with no joy, so I compiled a 2.6.7 and cdrecording ran immediately.
    Is there some patch I could use for 2.6.8 or is it better to just wait for a working kernel?

Senior Member registered user

Re: Cdrecording doesn't work with 2.6.8

Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    tried every kernel parameter for the device in lilo I
    You don't need anything in lilo. SCSI emu is no longer necessary w/ 2.6.* kernels. Simply access the device with it's normal name.

Code:
    cdrecord dev=/dev/hdb blah....
    None the less, which 2.6.8 kernel are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    tried every kernel parameter for the device in lilo I
    You don't need anything in lilo. SCSI emu is no longer necessary w/ 2.6.* kernels. Simply access the device with it's normal name.
    Tried without also but then I got nothing from cdrecord -scanbus , even so I tried recording, nada.

Code:
    cdrecord dev=/dev/hdb blah....
    Tried dev=0,0,0 ATA:... ATAPI:... hdc... nada again.

None the less, which 2.6.8 kernel are you using?
    Apt-getted 2.6.8-5 source and compiled starting with oldconfig. Perhaps I'll try kernel.org next but as 2.6.7 from the same config is working fine, I think I'll enjoy it for at least a week

There also seems to be quite a lot of posts like this: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kerne.../msg00613.html

Well that looks like a serious Debian bug. Get one of Kano's kernels or roll your own.

Tried without also but then I got nothing from cdrecord -scanbus
    That'll never work, cdrecord is scanning the SCSI BUS. Schilly (author of cdrecord) wants only to write cdrecord for a SCSI interface. That's why you get a complaint from cdrecord when using dev=/dev/hdb about it not being an official version and not to contact him about problems.

I use a custom 2.6.8.1 and cdrecord works fine. Certainly cdrecord also works fine on Kano's latest: http://kanotix.com/files/kernel/kern...-kanotix-5.zip

*NOTE* You might want to /j #kanotix and clarify how to install this kernel.

I have heard of some problems with Kanos kernels on Knoppix but given the fact that they work just fine on a bootstrap I'd tend to think it's a Knoppix problem and not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Well that looks like a serious Debian bug. Get one of Kano's kernels or roll your own.
    I think I'll just try kernel.org next.

Tried without also but then I got nothing from cdrecord -scanbus
    That'll never work, cdrecord is scanning the SCSI BUS. Schilly (author of cdrecord) wants only to write cdrecord for a SCSI interface. That's why you get a complaint from cdrecord when using dev=/dev/hdb about it not being an official version and not to contact him about problems.
    Ah. Thanks for clarifying that. I was wondering why I with some configurations get output, but with others none.

I use a custom 2.6.8.1 and cdrecord works fine. Certainly cdrecord also works fine on Kano's latest: http://kanotix.com/files/kernel/kern...-kanotix-5.zip
    Ok, thanks again. Not a kernel problem then.

I have heard of some problems with Kanos kernels on Knoppix but given the fact that they work just fine on a bootstrap I'd tend to think it's a Knoppix problem and not the other way around.
    Actually I run BH5 now and used to run kanos kernel on Knoppix 3.3, heard the same thing about 3.4.

Well, compiled 2.6.8.1 from kernel.org and now I can burn with "kdesu k3b" or by running cdrecord as root from a VT. As user it doesn't work even with device and cdrecord suid to root.
    Aaargh. I suppose I have to live with this minor annoyance while the kernel seems to be running fine in other aspects. Not about to delete that 2.6.7 though.

Found some more reading if anyone's interested:
    https://lwn.net/Articles/98405/
    http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/cd...er/003809.html
    http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3263
    http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...08.3/0824.html

I tried to use k3b once but it is far too complicated for a simple guy like me. I did find this tho:

Do not use Kernel 2.6.8

A patch that was introduced into the kernel shortly before the 2.6.8 release makes K3b and also the dvd+rw-tools unusable on Linux (unless run as root but that is not recommended). The very important GET CONFIGURATION MMC command is rejected by the kernel for reasons I cannot see and writing commands like MODE SELECT also fail (K3b cannot detect CD writers without it) even when the device is opened O_RDWR. Until this issue has been solved I strongly recommend to stick to kernel version 2.6.7.

Update: The kernel guys are currently fixing the problem so the next kernel release should work again.

Update 2: The problem is NOT fixed in 2.6.8.1

Update 3: Be aware that kernel 2.6.8 also contains the memory leak which makes it impossible to write audio cds, even as root.
    I say B.S.! 2.6.8.1 works fine for me. I also happen to know that cdrecord works fine w/ 2.6.8.1 from Kanotix. Mebbe try k3b there. Oh and BTW....
    BH08 is out! http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13527

Did some more compiling, 2.6.9-rc2 this time. Now k3b works and I've realised that my cdrecord package is broken, or the config is borked. I can blank cd's with:
    cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdc blank=fast but recording doesn't work even as root from a VT.
    Oh, well, I'll just use k3b and see if cdrecord is updated sometimes soon. K3b seems to use mkisofs, cdrdao and growisofs for burning so at least I can burn, I'll just miss my burning script.
    And yes, I did a reinstall on cdrecord 2.0+a38-1 , and a dpkg-reconfigure just to be on the safe side

As a sidenote, running lilo or shutdown doesn't work with 2.6.9-rc2, so it's 2.6.7 for now.

If anyone happens to dig up this thread the problem with cdrecord (whatever it was) is solved in 2.6.9 final. Nothing wrong with the packages for burning.
    Even shutdown works

You should also chmod -s /usr/bin/cdrecord

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast