Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OS Design Differences

OS Design Differences

I know this is probably a stupid question, but what are the major differences between windows and linux/unix as far as OS Design goes? How is one more stable than the other. Which is faster all around on the same hardware(I know this is difficult to answer, apples to oranges). These are just a few of the many questions I have on the topic.
    Thanks,
    Kenny

Anyone, Im a newbie to linux, and Im trying to find out why its "so great".
    Thanks,
    Kenny

It's not only stable, but it also gives you so much more control. You're not binded by the options included in a particular gui screen. I also like how an app can freeze up the whole screen (which would incapacitate windows) and you can just drop back into a terminal and kill the offending program. There are lots of reasons...and I imagine everybody likes different parts. I also love that every program I need is free and can be installed within seconds. As far as which is faster, I have a very streamlined windows install on both my desktop and my laptop. Linux still beats windows on both systems.

Getting used to using it and learning to configure things and such are tough in the beginning (although knoppix really makes it as easy as possible). But it's worth it if you stick it out.

Senior Member registered user
    NT is micro-kernel based(thus MS can cramp it into 256K memory on Xbox), linux is monolithic. So if MS wants, they can make NT as small as linux, contrary to the Windows is bulk, linux is small believe.

However, after putting in all the necessary stuffs for a modern "OS"(mostly GUI related), they are more or less the same. But the design philosophy of linux(which is nothing but a kernel and gives no special consideration to GUI) make it more responsive to other task under heavy load whereas Windows would be easily dragged down by the GUI. So linux is much better for server usage.

Linux can be monolithic but can also be very modular. i prefer a middle way. some things i allways need (like network, graphics...) are in kernel other things like modem, paralell-port cdburner... are as modules. i guess i could get a kernel to be about 800K but that would require external drivers for many things...

256k and 800k kernels?????? That rediculously small! I had no Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    It's not only stable, but it also gives you so much more control. You're not binded by the options included in a particular gui screen. I also like how an app can freeze up the whole screen (which would incapacitate windows) and you can just drop back into a terminal and kill the offending program. There are lots of reasons...and I imagine everybody likes different parts. I also love that every program I need is free and can be installed within seconds. As far as which is faster, I have a very streamlined windows install on both my desktop and my laptop. Linux still beats windows on both systems.

Getting used to using it and learning to configure things and such are tough in the beginning (although knoppix really makes it as easy as possible). But it's worth it if you stick it out.
    How do you kill programs in Knoppix?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstew
    The easiest way to kill a graphical program is to use xkill. I think Ctrl-Alt-Esc might bring it up...but I can't remember for sure whehter or not that shortcut is set up in Knoppix. If not you can run it from konsole by typing xkill. It will bring up a little square cursor and you just click on the offending app.

You can also use the command "killall -9 appname". If some app has frozen up X, you can drop back to a terminal and use this to get things going again. This command is also useful when an app doesn't exit right so that the window goes away but the process is still running.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstew
    The easiest way to kill a graphical program is to use xkill. I think Ctrl-Alt-Esc might bring it up...but I can't remember for sure whehter or not that shortcut is set up in Knoppix. If not you can run it from konsole by typing xkill. It will bring up a little square cursor and you just click on the offending app.

You can also use the command "killall -9 appname". If some app has frozen up X, you can drop back to a terminal and use this to get things going again. This command is also useful when an app doesn't exit right so that the window goes away but the process is still running.
    I think thats a short cut for knoppix.

You could also try

ps xa |grep app name
    and kill the program with
    kill corresponding number

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast