Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Automate KDM at startup

For me it automatically does it if I do a debian install... if I do a beginner install it doesnt automatically load... the cheatcodes I use are

knoppix26 alsa lang=us 2

then just do the install... hope this helps...

EDIT:
    sorry runlevel 2 will not boot in gui (but you can still run the install from there)
    I never even thought about that Sorri.

Please do not install from runlevel 2 as previously suggested!

Quote Originally Posted by kelmo
    Please do not install from runlevel 2 as previously suggested!
    It doesn't work? My bad in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by shah
    Boot from cdrom, when presented with boot prompt, hit <enter> if you prefer kernel 2.4.26 or use cheatcodes which I would suggest:
    knoppix26 alsa <enter>

Knoppix will load to kde.
    Once in kde, open konsole by clicking "tv" icon at the bottom and type this command:
    su <enter>
    knoppix-installer <enter>

Follow instruction, you don't need to create any partition because you already has that. I would suggest you choose debian like hdd installation, it less problematic to me. Also choose to install lilo to mbr.
    Tried the instal from KDE a number of times with a variety of error messages. The beginners install seemed to work but would then hang on reboot with some message about the ramdisk, but when I tried the Debian install it booted into a KDE environment after throwing up a number of erroe messages - they went by a little too quick to read them.. However, this install appears to be the best, although it left me to configure the network. Sorry it's taken a while to get back but thanks again for the help - time to get acquainted with the Unix commandline!!

Reg

Great, then terrible

Well, booting with the CD in another machine across a network was impressive. HD install was not. I am trying to fix all the problems.

How come I get:

root@0[knoppix]# ls -al /etc/rc5.d/
    total 12
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 28 16:18 .
    drwxr-xr-x 150 root root 8192 Sep 29 13:59 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 28 16:18 S20cupsys -> ../init.d/cupsys
    root@0[knoppix]#

????

I used the mid-Sept 3.6 with a "Debian" hd install. I did not get many options - far fewer menus that configuration parameters mentioned.

Knoppix is in danger of getting a serious problem: popularity combined with terrible security (sudo, root login shells, etc) combined with no documentation!

Alex

Re: Great, then terrible

Quote Originally Posted by jalexstark
    Knoppix is in danger of getting a serious problem: popularity combined with terrible security (sudo, root login shells, etc) combined with no documentation!

Alex
    There's documentation...the web's full of it. You have to set sudo up in knoppix before it works. So you don't have to enable it. And people don't have to look far to see people suggesting that users don't login as root. It's up to the user how secure it is...just like with Windows.

And alot of the configuration parameters for the hd-install are not in the gui. You have to edit the .knofig file.

Getting to that login

There's documentation...the web's full of it. You have to set sudo up in knoppix before it works. So you don't have to enable it. And people don't have to look far to see people suggesting that users don't login as root. It's up to the user how secure it is...just like with Windows.
    Well, I am neither as clever nor as knowledgeable as you. For me, the mass of possibly-related information creates a fog. As I see it, the less that Knoppix's security is like Windows, the better.

The problem that I have is that the key HOWTOs and installer instructions did not guide me where I wanted to go. This was from terminal server boot to a HD install with a standard (KDM?) login (also to users with a home dir, the network running, and avoiding the major security risks).

I added my question to this thread because I was suffering from a (to me) curious lack of entries in my rc5.d directory. Plus I saw lots of worrying errors and warnings during install.

Maybe you could give me the benefit of your knowledge and point me to something that will guide an all-too ordinary user through the setup. I cannot be the only one having these difficulties, given the activity on this forum, but I would be willing to make a start at list of suggested tweaks, configurations and actions.

Alex.

I'm having troubles also. KDM won't start after hd-install

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13848

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12